2012-2015 Focus recall for door latches. - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
3rd Time's the Charm

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White ST3

Points 4,984, Level 45
Points: 4,984, Level: 45 Points: 4,984, Level: 45 Points: 4,984, Level: 45
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 5 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sorry but I disagree about this being a huge safety issue. Doors just don't fly open unless they are being pushed on. If the light comes on on the dash, pull over, call Ford care, and delay your life an hour or two as you get a tow and a loaner from Ford. Big whoop.
ELCouz likes this.
- Jody -
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 PM   #12
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 31,903, Level 100
Points: 31,903, Level: 100 Points: 31,903, Level: 100 Points: 31,903, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You posted a link to a single page ODI Resume - doesn't show ANY info. there regarding failure mechanism. All the details I had were as represented, from the official press release type info. in the link posted before.

Quote:
as long as parts are available
This is where I see a problem, and it doesn't take much math to see why.

The total numbers for the recall of all models in this specific one adds up to 830k, so you need 3.32 Million latches if all got the work done.

Now how many of the potentially affected 400,000 Focus cars are included in the States for the recall is not given anywhere I've seen, but even if you make a silly assumption that every state got similar numbers on average the 36% of Focus models included would add up to 144,000 cars, or 576,000 latches.

That's still going to be achievable a LOT faster than the 1.6 Million latches needed to do ALL the Focus cars in the possibly affected group.

I AM assuming that latch production is a bottleneck for accomplishment of the recall, with three years production involved and a third of the cars produced during that time (est.) being in the current recall group you'd need a supplier to double annual production to accomplish it in a year. 3 years to do all of them at double production rates.

Quote:
I am in the recall area as well but I am not crazy about having a monkey tear my door panels off.
This is one reason I think the "take rate" of owners in the more temperate regions would be low, maybe so low as to not more than double the rate of those who actually have an issue.

I didn't count the number of reports here, less than 10 by my rough estimate. Even 1/7th of the reports made to NHTSA making it here as well would be a high rate. So with no reports here from the temperate states, and no info. from the NHTSA report on locations out of the recall zone, I've got no way to guess how many might actually fail outside of that zone.

73 reports making it to the NHTSA is a small number out of 400k production. We know there were more just from out of warranty reports here. Still looks like your chances are good to not run into this if you aren't in the recall area.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 08-06-2016, 09:19 PM   #13
Old Phart

Points 31,903, Level 100
Points: 31,903, Level: 100 Points: 31,903, Level: 100 Points: 31,903, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 134 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
Sorry but I disagree about this being a huge safety issue. Doors just don't fly open unless they are being pushed on. If the light comes on on the dash, pull over, call Ford care, and delay your life an hour or two as you get a tow and a loaner from Ford. Big whoop.
This may sound extreme, but it's pretty accurate.

Ever try pushing a door open while moving? One can only "fly open" at parking lot speeds when making a sharp turn.

There's a reason for no "suicide doors" in current production.

S.R. #275

Old 08-06-2016, 09:51 PM   #14
Old Phart

Points 31,903, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Honestly I don't want to beat up on the idea of all getting new latches so hard, it's just a priority issue of taking care of those who need them the most.

S.R. #275
Old 08-06-2016, 10:25 PM   #15
__________/\__

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: '16 Camaro RS '13 SE Hatch TOTALED

Points 92,439, Level 100
Points: 92,439, Level: 100 Points: 92,439, Level: 100 Points: 92,439, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 34 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post

Ever try pushing a door open while moving? One can only "fly open" at parking lot speeds when making a sharp turn.
Doors flying open is not the point here. A door ajar compromises the integrity of the side door crash protection that is certified by DOT. That steel beam that resides inside your door has pages of engineering data behind it. Unlatch the door and you compromise the side door protection.

This argument is futile. If you have no problem with this situation, just forget about it and hope you are not one of the unlucky ones. I plan to replace mine.

As for the ODI, please know that Ford did not initiate even a partial recall out of the goodness of their heart. They have their own internal data and their actuaries were apparently alarmed enough to do something.

Quote:
I AM assuming that latch production is a bottleneck for accomplishment of the recall, with three years production involved and a third of the cars produced during that time (est.) being in the current recall group you'd need a supplier to double annual production to accomplish it in a year
Thus the reason for a recall in stages rather than no recall at all for temperate states.
ELCouz likes this.
Old 08-06-2016, 10:29 PM   #16
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 290921
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus se white

Points 1,402, Level 21
Points: 1,402, Level: 21 Points: 1,402, Level: 21 Points: 1,402, Level: 21
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 9%
Activity: 9% Activity: 9% Activity: 9%
FF Reputation: 1 Medina623 Good Standing Member
So what do you guys think? Is it worth to take to get it replaced or no? Simple answer

Sent from my iPhone using FF Mobile
Old 08-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #17
Old Phart

Points 31,903, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Certainly worthwhile to get it replaced.

You're in the recall zone, free potential increased safety & much less hassle than being one of those with an issue latching a door.
Medina623 likes this.

S.R. #275
Old 08-07-2016, 02:11 AM   #18
3rd Time's the Charm

Fan#: 88885
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White ST3

Points 4,984, Level 45
Points: 4,984, Level: 45 Points: 4,984, Level: 45 Points: 4,984, Level: 45
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 22%
Activity: 22% Activity: 22% Activity: 22%
FF Reputation: 5 Slo86GT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
Doors flying open is not the point here. A door ajar compromises the integrity of the side door crash protection that is certified by DOT. That steel beam that resides inside your door has pages of engineering data behind it. Unlatch the door and you compromise the side door protection.
So for the 30 seconds or 1 minute that it takes to pull over and pick up the phone, someone is at incredibly slight risk. Got it.
- Jody -
Old 08-07-2016, 10:59 AM   #19
__________/\__

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: '16 Camaro RS '13 SE Hatch TOTALED

Points 92,439, Level 100
Points: 92,439, Level: 100 Points: 92,439, Level: 100 Points: 92,439, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 34 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medina623 View Post
So what do you guys think? Is it worth to take to get it replaced or no? Simple answer
Quote:
Certainly worthwhile to get it replaced.
Ignore a safety recall?

Hmmmmm...

Some are thinking in terms of the latch either working or not working, door stays closed or will not close. (If the door stays closed and latches, then all is well) The problem with that is the latches may continue to operate with impaired integrity and then fail absolutely. Solar loading, heat, etc. can compromise the integrity of the latch (in this case the pawl spring) while still allowing the door latch to keep the door shut.

If latch failure occurs in the midst of a collision or a rollover, I am not sure how you would have time to pull over to the side of the road when the door ajar light comes on. What if the door latch fails at night and the dome lights illuminate? Probably nothing but it might temporarily blind some drivers if they are in fast moving traffic.

Crashes such as offset frontals, near side impacts, and especially rollovers, which pose the greatest risk of ejection for occupants, may lead to complex loading conditions to the vehicle door structure. In recognition of this, the agency tried to develop a new combination test that would subject the door latch components to simultaneously applied loads from different directions as occurs in rollover and other crashes in order to reduce related door ejections. We also wanted to update the existing requirements and test procedures established to ensure the strength of individual latch components for load conditions that are less complex, such as those that occur in many non-rollover collisions.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Door Locks and Door Retention Components and Side Impact Protection
Medina623 likes this.

Last edited by wavsine; 08-30-2016 at 08:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2016, 08:53 PM   #20
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 290418
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Ford Focus

Points 44, Level 1
Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1 Points: 44, Level: 1
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Focused4door Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo86GT View Post
So for the 30 seconds or 1 minute that it takes to pull over and pick up the phone, someone is at incredibly slight risk. Got it.
Would be significant risk in a rollover accident.

FWIW, I always use the seat belt to secure items in the rear seat if possible. Keeps the object from sliding around when cornering, and could keep it from flying around in a crash. In the case of a Focus, would keep it from pressing against the door.
wavsine likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Focus Centennial Edition Sedan
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.