1.0 Fuel Economy in the Cold. 87 vs. 91? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Fan#: 178665
Location: Minneapolis, MN
What I Drive: 2015 Focus 1.0 Hatch

Posts: 109
Points 786, Level 14
Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 E365/5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1.0 Fuel Economy in the Cold. 87 vs. 91?

Have any 1.0 turbo owners noticed a difference in cold weather (around 32F/0C and colder) fuel economy between 87 and 91 octane?

I hadn't noticed any difference in summer-time fuel economy between 87 and 91 - two of my three best tanks were on 87. But now that winter is here I seem to be getting better economy on 91. Probably need a few more tanks to confirm though...


E365/5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #2
Focus Fanatic
 
ELCouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Fan#: 157898
Location: MTL, Canada
What I Drive: '12 F. SE HB Candy Blue 5spd

Posts: 1,598
Points 3,324, Level 35
Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 6 ELCouz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E365/5 View Post
Have any 1.0 turbo owners noticed a difference in cold weather (around 32F/0C and colder) fuel economy between 87 and 91 octane?

I hadn't noticed any difference in summer-time fuel economy between 87 and 91 - two of my three best tanks were on 87. But now that winter is here I seem to be getting better economy on 91. Probably need a few more tanks to confirm though...
91 have always more MPG per tank because it doesn't contain ethanol. (At least in Canada, stated officially at the pumps)

I run only premium fuel (91) on my 2.0L
ELCouz is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34204
Location: Fairlawn, OH
What I Drive: 2015 Metalic 1.0 hatch

Posts: 2,985
Points 7,122, Level 55
Points: 7,122, Level: 55 Points: 7,122, Level: 55 Points: 7,122, Level: 55
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 16 metallicnotazx5 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
In the states 91+ may have more ethanol than 87. One specific sample of Shell 93 V Power was actually found to have 11-12% alcohol. My understanding is it is a cheap way to add octane. I've always stored my motorcycle on 87.

I do notice slightly higher highway mpg and about 8-12% higher city mileage. Fuel savings would never make up for the added cost.
__________________
You say because; race car.
I say because; economy car.
metallicnotazx5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #4
Focus Fanatic
 
ELCouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Fan#: 157898
Location: MTL, Canada
What I Drive: '12 F. SE HB Candy Blue 5spd

Posts: 1,598
Points 3,324, Level 35
Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 6 ELCouz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicnotazx5 View Post

I do notice slightly higher highway mpg and about 8-12% higher city mileage. Fuel savings would never make up for the added cost.

Of course!

I use it primarily because the 2.0L GDI likes 91 (at least on the timing advance readings at WOT)
ELCouz is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2015, 10:11 PM   #5
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Fan#: 178665
Location: Minneapolis, MN
What I Drive: 2015 Focus 1.0 Hatch

Posts: 109
Points 786, Level 14
Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14 Points: 786, Level: 14
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 E365/5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCouz View Post
91 have always more MPG per tank because it doesn't contain ethanol. (At least in Canada, stated officially at the pumps)

I run only premium fuel (91) on my 2.0L
It's all 10% ethanol in Minnesota.
E365/5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 05:43 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast
 
PrDawg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Fan#: 265465
Location: Houston, TX
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black Titanium HB

Posts: 304
Points 236, Level 4
Points: 236, Level: 4 Points: 236, Level: 4 Points: 236, Level: 4
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 PrDawg Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by E365/5 View Post
It's all 10% ethanol in Minnesota.
10% max in Texas also. Running top tier 93. It likes it. Could tell the difference from 87.
__________________
2014 Tuxedo Black TI Hatch, Steeda Cai, Magnaflow Cat Back, Redline Elite Hood Struts, Duratech Stock Engine Cover, Black ST Wheels with 245/40 A/S 3s, Weathertech Floormats and Deflectors and Focus-Power Tune
PrDawg is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
Focus Fanatic
 
Elizabeth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Fan#: 89280
Location: SouthEast, WI
What I Drive: '14 Tangerine Scream ST3

Posts: 3,604
Points 17,557, Level 84
Points: 17,557, Level: 84 Points: 17,557, Level: 84 Points: 17,557, Level: 84
Level Up 42% Completed
Level up: 42% Level up: 42% Level up: 42%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 21 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ethanol is the Devil in a disguise...
I always got better MPG without ethanol in the gasoline.
Elizabeth is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 12:48 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic
 
ELCouz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Fan#: 157898
Location: MTL, Canada
What I Drive: '12 F. SE HB Candy Blue 5spd

Posts: 1,598
Points 3,324, Level 35
Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35 Points: 3,324, Level: 35
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 31%
Activity: 31% Activity: 31% Activity: 31%
FF Reputation: 6 ELCouz Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Ethanol is the Devil in a disguise...
I always got better MPG without ethanol in the gasoline.
I guess ethanol presence in US is mostly political.

I have nothing against ethanol itself... it is a good clean fuel with a good octane rating BUT it's not really a good way to produce it now (use corn field for fuel instead of food)

Pros:

Clean burning on E100
Reduced carbon build up
Exhaust emission reduced
Excellent octane rating on E100

Cons:
Absorb water like a "sponge"
Turn rancid easily
Lower BTU vs regular "dino" gasoline
Availability somewhat unstable
E100 hard to atomize on cold days (need pre-heating)

Because of all those cons ethanol always needs a minimum gasoline blend (The max. I've seen in US at the pump while travelling is E95)
ELCouz is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Focus Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Fan#: 73790
Location: Syracuse, NY
What I Drive: 2011 Focus SE 5 Speed

Posts: 1,138
Points 2,227, Level 28
Points: 2,227, Level: 28 Points: 2,227, Level: 28 Points: 2,227, Level: 28
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 6%
Activity: 6% Activity: 6% Activity: 6%
FF Reputation: 5 Miller88 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My parents' Escape with the 2.0 GTDI engine gets significantly better mileage on 91 ethanol free gas; enough to pay for using it. $5 / 1000 miles cheaper!

However, their mileage suffers in the winter because they run the thing 30 minutes before going anywhere when cold.
__________________
2011 Focus SE 5 Speed.
Miller88 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-25-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Fan#: 34204
Location: Fairlawn, OH
What I Drive: 2015 Metalic 1.0 hatch

Posts: 2,985
Points 7,122, Level 55
Points: 7,122, Level: 55 Points: 7,122, Level: 55 Points: 7,122, Level: 55
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 35%
Activity: 35% Activity: 35% Activity: 35%
FF Reputation: 16 metallicnotazx5 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller88 View Post
My parents' Escape with the 2.0 GTDI engine gets significantly better mileage on 91 ethanol free gas; enough to pay for using it. $5 / 1000 miles cheaper!

However, their mileage suffers in the winter because they run the thing 30 minutes before going anywhere when cold.
Sounds like the need to install an engine block heater. Also idling the car is illegal in most places.
__________________
You say because; race car.
I say because; economy car.
metallicnotazx5 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.




 

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1