Dashboard Rattle - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 01:45 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 231802
What I Drive: 2015 Blue Ford Focus Titanium

Points 46, Level 1
Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1 Points: 46, Level: 1
Level Up 92% Completed
Level up: 92% Level up: 92% Level up: 92%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 tir74 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Dashboard Rattle

Hi everyone,
I started hearing this rattle coming from somewhere around the dashboard recently, it's intermittent but seems to happen more often now. Sometimes I drive down the road and it's there, then I make a turn and I don't hear it anymore just to return 5 minutes later. The noise is driving me nuts , taking all the fun out of driving my new Focus. I tried to record a video with the noise, see the You Tube Link below. If I go to the dealer with this issue, can I expect help or am I getting the runaround with this kind of problem?
Any ideas on how to find what causes the noise?

https://youtu.be/Lupz3yGfn6c

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2015, 06:35 AM   #2
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119362
What I Drive: 2013 Silver Focus HB 5MT

Points 160, Level 3
Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3 Points: 160, Level: 3
Level Up 20% Completed
Level up: 20% Level up: 20% Level up: 20%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 firstorbit84 Good Standing Member
In because I have a similar issue. Mine is definitely coming from the gauge cluster though. Try to push on different parts of the dash when it happens to see if you can get it to stop, so you can pinpoint it.
Old 05-07-2015, 08:44 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 141457
What I Drive: 2013 Ruby Red Hatchback Titanium

Points 10,795, Level 68
Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68 Points: 10,795, Level: 68
Level Up 87% Completed
Level up: 87% Level up: 87% Level up: 87%
Forum Activity 25%
Activity: 25% Activity: 25% Activity: 25%
FF Reputation: 5 Squad-G Good Standing Member
Here's a list of common rattle I was able to pinpoint:

1° The cluster (see picture #1 below).
Simply put your nail between the cluster and the dash. The rattle will go away. To fix this issue, remove the cluster and put 3M 1/8 neoprene under the cluster. It'll be more tight. If the rattle continue, put neoprene at the top of the cluster as well or try 3/8 under it.

2° The radio face plate (see picture #2 below).
The top part of the face plate is very thin and weak. Put your finger on it to stop the rattle. To fix it, remove the face plate and put 3M 1/8 neoprene on the top frame of the SYNC screen.

3° Driver or passager top door mini speaker (see picture #3 below).
Push the speaker with your hand toward the door frame. I have no solution yet as I have not address this issue yet in my car.

4° The driver or passager door against the dash (see picture #4 below).
While the door is close, push the door trim near the dash. The vibration will stop. I don't have yet a fix.

5° The armrest (see picture #5).
The arm rest will rattle when going over imperfect road or anything that make the car shake. To fix, put 3M 1/8 or 3/8 depending on what will make the cover tight against the bin when closed. Make sure it's not too tight.

6° The "door speaker" ratle when listening to music (see picture #6)
Put your hand on the trim that is on the speaker. Remove the door trim and put neoprone on the inside trim of the door.

7° Rear seatbelts (no picture)
Make sure the metal clip is not resting on the plastic trim at the top near the window but at the bottom against the seat itself.

8° Hatchback cover (no picture)
Sometime, it is possible your cover is not set properly. Make sure it is.

9° Windshield is cracking during cold temperature when the car is cold (-5°C and less)
It's normal and there's nothing you can do. The windshield is set to a bit smaller then the area where it is (1/8 or 1/16 to be accurate (don't remember!!)). This allow for expension of the material when cold or hot.

10° If none of the above is your rattle inside your cabin, try moving the passenger seat a bit forward or backward. It's not 100% locked and the metal clip is shaking a little bit.

Yes, I have experienced all of the above. It take time to find the rattle.

NOTE: If you see 1/8 is too tight, don't put 1/8. Put less. Don't put too much stress on the material as it'll be too tight and will start to rattle again in the future. You want it tight but not too much as the material will expand or crack (remember, it's cheap plastic). If 1/8 doesn't solve it and it's very tight, don't try more. The problem is somewhere else arround that area.

I also suggest that you do the above work when the temperature is near 15°C-20°C. Above or below this, the material is not in his "default" form and might be contracted or expanded because of the temperature.
Attached Thumbnails
Dashboard Rattle-rattle1.jpg  

Dashboard Rattle-rattle2.jpg  

Attached Images

Old 05-07-2015, 08:56 AM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

Points 1,201, Level 19
Points: 1,201, Level: 19 Points: 1,201, Level: 19 Points: 1,201, Level: 19
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 DougC Newbie
I had a rattle in my '12 SE that was I swore was coming from my dash.... turned out it was coming from the passenger side A pillar.
Old 05-07-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 7,864, Level 59
Points: 7,864, Level: 59 Points: 7,864, Level: 59 Points: 7,864, Level: 59
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tir74 View Post
Hi everyone,
I started hearing this rattle coming from somewhere around the dashboard recently, it's intermittent but seems to happen more often now. Sometimes I drive down the road and it's there, then I make a turn and I don't hear it anymore just to return 5 minutes later. The noise is driving me nuts , taking all the fun out of driving my new Focus. I tried to record a video with the noise, see the You Tube Link below. If I go to the dealer with this issue, can I expect help or am I getting the runaround with this kind of problem?
Any ideas on how to find what causes the noise?

https://youtu.be/Lupz3yGfn6c
Hi tir74,

I'll be happy to check out some assistance to help quiet your car and keep your sanity. :) Please send me a private message with your VIN, mileage, best daytime phone number, full name, and dealer name/location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
In because I have a similar issue. Mine is definitely coming from the gauge cluster though. Try to push on different parts of the dash when it happens to see if you can get it to stop, so you can pinpoint it.
Have you had a chance to visit your dealer? Please let me know, with your mileage, so I can see how to best assist.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 205626
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Gray SE Hatch

Points 473, Level 9
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 PacketHauler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
I had a rattle in my '12 SE that was I swore was coming from my dash.... turned out it was coming from the passenger side A pillar.
Sound waves do funny things when they have a sharply angled surface to reflect against.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 194673
What I Drive: 2014, darker red, focus se

Points 35, Level 1
Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1 Points: 35, Level: 1
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 twich3136 Good Standing Member
had a similar issue on my 14 focus se. turned out the be the driver sun shade. my wife has a habbit of not clicking it in to the retainer causing a rattle or clunk.
Old 05-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 198969
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium w/Handling Package

Points 368, Level 7
Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 rallyusa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
I had this same rattle, little bit of foam between the seams and gone!
Old 05-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #9
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 7,864, Level 59
Points: 7,864, Level: 59 Points: 7,864, Level: 59 Points: 7,864, Level: 59
Level Up 57% Completed
Level up: 57% Level up: 57% Level up: 57%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstorbit84 View Post
Have you had a chance to visit your dealer about this, firstorbit84? Please let me know, along with your mileage.

Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 05-08-2015, 12:04 PM   #10
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 24,842, Level 95
Points: 24,842, Level: 95 Points: 24,842, Level: 95 Points: 24,842, Level: 95
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 80 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
I'd say its the windshield hitting the dashboard. From what I've seen some windshields are installed slighty lower then others. Try a rubber or cloth shim between the dash & windshield & see if it goes away.
Bigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.