Reminder: Perform TSB 14-0215 Now! - Page 9 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree44Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 01:02 AM   #81
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118464
What I Drive: 2013 Silver SE Hatch

Points 569, Level 11
Points: 569, Level: 11 Points: 569, Level: 11 Points: 569, Level: 11
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 mwalt2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just had the limp mode kick in while on the interstate with cruise control on. I have about 50K miles and just found this thread. No other problems with this before. Is it best to go ahead and add the loom? I felt behind the harness and it didn't feel worn, but I did get the can't accelerate for anything in any gear symptom like a lot of others in the thread referencing the TSB.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2015, 02:10 AM   #82
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 180081
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatch 5spd

Points 370, Level 7
Points: 370, Level: 7 Points: 370, Level: 7 Points: 370, Level: 7
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 1 SR71Blackbird Good Standing Member
Thanks for the heads up!!

It's a sad world we live in when we have to be concerned about a tech installing simple split loom on a harness....
Old 09-01-2015, 10:36 AM   #83
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 98931
What I Drive: 2012 Sonic Blue Hatch, 2016 Sedan

Points 1,598, Level 22
Points: 1,598, Level: 22 Points: 1,598, Level: 22 Points: 1,598, Level: 22
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 3 Gi_Jo_Nathan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalt2 View Post
I just had the limp mode kick in while on the interstate with cruise control on. I have about 50K miles and just found this thread. No other problems with this before. Is it best to go ahead and add the loom? I felt behind the harness and it didn't feel worn, but I did get the can't accelerate for anything in any gear symptom like a lot of others in the thread referencing the TSB.
I don't suppose it will hurt. However I've had the limp mode thing a long time ago, and I don't have any wear on my wires either. So possibly something else causing it.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
HATCH NATION #77
12 SE HB MTX, IE Tuned, Green Filter, custom 2.5" cat-back w/borla, Steeda RSB & Short Shift Bracket, JBR Solid Shifter Bushing's, NTC Shifter Bushing, MS3 RMM w/Corksport Inserts

Old 09-01-2015, 01:06 PM   #84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: '16 Focus SE Ecoboost Manual

Points 313, Level 6
Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mk3WA Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelx View Post
The dealer was unwilling to do the TSB for me citing that they do not do things proactively, but essentially only if a problem arises.

I went and purchased some 1" split loom and will be doing the TSB myself when the car is cool.
I just called the dealership, and the lady didn't know what she was talking about really (by her own admission) but said it was unlikely they'd do anything unless the car is acting up but would have a service advisor call me. Though the dealership was great when my '12 DCT was acting up, I doubt they'll do what SHOULD be done on this '14 manual. Why in tarnation would a car company want you to wait for something to happen when such a fix is so cheap and easy and could be done while the car is getting an oil change.

Amusingly, before I could go look at the car, I checked my window sticker and my car was born exactly on 2/19/14, though I understand those dates have been found to be meaningless. Cursory inspection shows the harness is not done properly, fairly tight, but seems undamaged with some room between. But at 37xxx and change, I want to make sure this doesn't become an issue down the road.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:04 PM   #85
Elder

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 29,319, Level 99
Points: 29,319, Level: 99 Points: 29,319, Level: 99 Points: 29,319, Level: 99
Level Up 59% Completed
Level up: 59% Level up: 59% Level up: 59%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 126 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Simple answer is that no company wants to do a recall to fix ALL of an item unless necessary.

Honestly, this tsb would still exist even IF they "repaired" all of the cars (inspect and add chafe protection) since there still remains the chance of future damage in that area, even if less likely once added protection is in place.

Remember what a tsb is, a note on a suggested possible fix IF certain symptoms are present. In this case a note that wire harness problems in a certain area has been seen on some and the suggestion to check there, repair and add protection, IF a problem is seen.

Not every possible repair ends up listed as a tsb., one like this is useful to techs. as it otherwise wouldn't be a first guess when faced with the symptoms described.

Proactive check and adding protection is easy for an individual, unless a number of warranty problems are seen by a manufacturer a recall isn't likely. Tsb's are useful to Dealers and customers by reducing diagnostic/repair time, particularly when a diagnosis isn't obvious or special repair procedures are useful.

Every manufacturer can have a different version of service info. communication, some use a "Service Bulletin" method for suggestions/hints that they'd like all techs. to read in addition to the tsb's that are often read only in reference to a certain vehicle.

Haven't seen info. on Ford using that system, but they have another level called "Field Service Action" above the tsb level that authorizes certain repairs/updates to specific vehicles.

I would think the proactive suggestion that's been made here would be added as a FSA if they had enough reports of wiring harness problems in this area. Authorized "fix" when vehicles in for service.

And there lies the difference between tsb and FSA. One is a suggested possible repair for a particular problem while the other is an authorized action when appropriate (paid for by Ford). Tsb's in general don't affect warranty coverage while FSA's generally add specific coverage. Clutch & TCM extended warranties are a couple examples of FSA's that apply to many MkIII Focus models.
Arco-Zakus and wavsine like this.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
Old 09-03-2015, 07:09 PM   #86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 113174
What I Drive: '16 Focus SE Ecoboost Manual

Points 313, Level 6
Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6 Points: 313, Level: 6
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 2 mk3WA Good Standing Member
They don't have to do a recall necessarily. A happy medium would simply to try and correctly spec the car when it is in for some service or some variation on that, OR do it if the customer requests it. But to tell a customer of a 2014 car that they won't address a TSB unless it is too late is insane, I don't care.

Didn't have much time to do a clean fancy fix, but it was dry and sunny so I used a mirror to get a close inspection. On my harness a white label is on the section where it goes over that curved piece of plastic, and it was a little aggravated. Got a 1" piece of loom tubing and ziptied it with the zip tie as between the loom and plastic piece as possible. Will consider a more robust fix when I have more time.

wavsine likes this.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:57 PM   #87
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 262569
What I Drive: Metalic Black

Points 132, Level 2
Points: 132, Level: 2 Points: 132, Level: 2 Points: 132, Level: 2
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 19%
Activity: 19% Activity: 19% Activity: 19%
FF Reputation: 1 KanomPan Good Standing Member

So I was told you'd guys be interested in the date my Focus was manufactured.

I own a 2012 Ford Focus SE, Hatchback built in March.

The wire harness came the way you see it in the picture. Which has the plastic protective wire loom on the entire wire harness from factory.
Arco-Zakus likes this.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:57 AM   #88
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105470
What I Drive: 2013, Black, Ford Focus SE

Points 5, Level 1
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1
Level Up 9% Completed
Level up: 9% Level up: 9% Level up: 9%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Tonkatuff Good Standing Member
Awesome thank you for the information, This happened recently and now I know why... I just checked the harness and it has the problem, small slit in the casing of the harness.
Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 AM   #89
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Candy red SE 5spd

Points 5,423, Level 47
Points: 5,423, Level: 47 Points: 5,423, Level: 47 Points: 5,423, Level: 47
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 28%
Activity: 28% Activity: 28% Activity: 28%
FF Reputation: 9 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
My car build was April '12 and while I have the plastic around the loom I still added my own over it since better safe than sorry.
Old 12-19-2015, 05:20 PM   #90
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 278401
What I Drive: 2013 Focus 5spd

Points 1,093, Level 17
Points: 1,093, Level: 17 Points: 1,093, Level: 17 Points: 1,093, Level: 17
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 saintsfins Good Standing Member
Newb here. Thanks for this thread. I just put the flex cover on my '13 hatch. Bought the cover at HD.
wavsine likes this.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.