2014 Focus 2.0L Passenger Side Engine Noise - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2015, 12:25 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 232146
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Grey Focus SE Sedan

Points 26, Level 1
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Level Up 52% Completed
Level up: 52% Level up: 52% Level up: 52%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 baldwinrm11 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2014 Focus 2.0L Passenger Side Engine Noise

About a week ago I bought a 2014 Focus 2.0L and I've notice an odd noise from the passenger side. It is most noticeable when the window is down and the sound bounces back off of parked cars and buildings. It's a cross between chains dragging and crickets maybe? You can hear it while in park as well, not nearly as loud of course.

I'm assuming it's the pulleys; the Ford dealer gave me the talk about it being my first automated manual six speed. Essentially said it's normal, but louder than normal. He was kind of a butt about it.

I really just want to make sure it is normal by hearing what everyone else has to say. Also want to make sure it's not going to injure the car; it is annoying though. Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Ryan

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2015, 12:45 PM   #2
__________/\__

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: '16 Camaro RS '13 SE Hatch TOTALED

Points 83,806, Level 100
Points: 83,806, Level: 100 Points: 83,806, Level: 100 Points: 83,806, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 3%
FF Reputation: 34 wavsine Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
The DCT transmission can be noisy and the sound is most noticeable when you drive next to a fence or wall with the windows down. Some describe it as marbles in a blender.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 26, Level 1
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
That is the best description yet!

The transmission makes the noise while in park though?

Old 04-08-2015, 01:08 PM   #4
Focus Addict

Fan#: 91789
What I Drive: 2012 SEL White Platinum 5 Dr 302A

Points 4,225, Level 41
Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41 Points: 4,225, Level: 41
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 17 dan50 Great Standing Member
If it's from the passenger side and audible when the engine is in park it could the the belt or pulleys as you have surmised. Here's an old tip: with the engine idling, pour or spray water onto the serpentine belt. If it changes the character of the noise, the belt or pulleys are the problem.

Ford dealers are great at blaming any Focus problem on the DCT and then declaring it really isn't a problem.
TooOld likes this.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:11 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 26, Level 1
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
If it's from the passenger side and audible when the engine is in park it could the the belt or pulleys as you have surmised. Here's an old tip: with the engine idling, pour or spray water onto the serpentine belt. If it changes the character of the noise, the belt or pulleys are the problem.

Ford dealers are great at blaming any Focus problem on the DCT and then declaring it really isn't a problem.
If this is the case what is the severity of the problem? How do you convince them to actually reconsider their whole DCT thing?
Old 04-08-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

Points 7,881, Level 59
Points: 7,881, Level: 59 Points: 7,881, Level: 59 Points: 7,881, Level: 59
Level Up 66% Completed
Level up: 66% Level up: 66% Level up: 66%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 19 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwinrm11 View Post
About a week ago I bought a 2014 Focus 2.0L and I've notice an odd noise from the passenger side. It is most noticeable when the window is down and the sound bounces back off of parked cars and buildings. It's a cross between chains dragging and crickets maybe? You can hear it while in park as well, not nearly as loud of course.

I'm assuming it's the pulleys; the Ford dealer gave me the talk about it being my first automated manual six speed. Essentially said it's normal, but louder than normal. He was kind of a butt about it.

I really just want to make sure it is normal by hearing what everyone else has to say. Also want to make sure it's not going to injure the car; it is annoying though. Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks!!!

Ryan
Hi Ryan,

Have you considered visiting another dealer for a second opinion?

Here's some info on the DCT:
The PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission is designed to provide the feel and efficiency of a manual transmission with the easy driving of an automatic. The PowerShift transmission automatically engages the next gear in anticipation of the shift, providing seamless shifting. It also has neutral idling, which disengages the transmission when sitting at idle, and helps to maximize fuel efficiency.

Because the PowerShift 6 Speed Transmission operates similarly to a manual transmission, you may notice some characteristics that provide a unique driving experience from the automatic transmission you may be used to:
  • When you take your foot off the accelerator pedal and the vehicle begins to slow down you may perceive a light to medium braking sensation as the transmissions makes adjustments.
  • During the break in period, the transmission may shift quicker or harder. This will smooth out after a short period of time.
  • You may hear mechanical noises when driving.
  • You may feel a difference when pulling away from a stop.

Some vehicles may also be equipped with Select Shift, which allows you to manually shift gears by selecting the plus and minus buttons on your vehicle's toggle switch when the vehicle is in the Sport Mode (S on the shift column).
Meagan

p: 800.392.FORD
t:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

f:

M - F 11:30 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 04-08-2015, 03:48 PM   #7
Focus Rookie

Points 26, Level 1
Level Up 52% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan50 View Post

Well tried the water trick and no changes in sound. I can hear it near the bottom behind the wheel while in park; if that helps with the description at all. Also turned A/C on and off and had no changes in noise.

So does that leave just a louder than normal characteristic sound of the DCT?

- Ryan
Old 05-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #8
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 239882
What I Drive: 2014 Ruby Red Titanium

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 John.0 Good Standing Member
I'm hearing the same noise on mine. 2014, 2000 miles. I've listened to another guy's 2014 focus with ~35k miles and can't hear it. I'm also thinking it's a pulley. Sucks though, that the service manager at the dealership told me to bring it back when I figure out where it's coming from.

Last edited by John.0; 05-11-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 236306
What I Drive: 2014 Oxford White Focus SE

Points 119, Level 2
Points: 119, Level: 2 Points: 119, Level: 2 Points: 119, Level: 2
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 1 Petrie141 Good Standing Member
I'm hearing what I believe to the be same thing in my 2014 SE Hatch with 800 miles on it. It doesn't sound like it's the engine as I really hear it best by the front passenger side tire. It does sound like a mechanical noise, or kind of like metal sliding on metal without a lubricant in between them. I was picking up my license plates the other day and asked a service adviser about it while I was there and he didn't seem worried at all. He said his guess was the transmission or clutch breaking in since it's still a new car. Although I want to believe him, I'm thinking it's probably what the Ford Service user posted above when they said "You may hear mechanical noises when driving."

Also, I was at a baseball game the other night and another MK3 drove passed me with the same noise so I didn't feel as bad. I'm chalking this one up to the "meh" category. If it gets worse I'll bring 'er in.
Old 05-19-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 237762
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black Titanium DCT

Points 1,513, Level 22
Points: 1,513, Level: 22 Points: 1,513, Level: 22 Points: 1,513, Level: 22
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Scougar Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwinrm11 View Post

Thanks!!!

Ryan
If you can hear it... use you phone and record the noise... then upload the clip so we can listen.

Ford customer service experience = Just awful.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.