'14 Manual Rattling at Idle - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2015, 08:38 PM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 224298
What I Drive: '14 Sterling Grey Metallic SE Sedan

Points 220, Level 4
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 adamsbryce89 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Angry '14 Manual Rattling at Idle

Alright, I'm somewhat annoyed. Since I drove my '14 SE 5-speed off the lot @ 8 miles on the odo, my transmission will rattle when stopped, in neutral, and I'm not on the clutch.

It's subtle at times, but it's there. When stopped, (road noise blocks it out if driving), if I push the clutch in, the rattling stops. As soon as I let out the clutch again, the rattling continues. I chocked it up to being a new car and figured parts needed some good use to settle. 3000 miles later - nope - rattle got louder.

I took it to Ford on Monday, and just got it back this evening on Wednesday. They said it was a failed throwout bearing, and that it was replaced (under warranty, of course.). However, upon driving 26 miles back home, and opening my door in a quiet parking lot, the effing thing hasn't changed. chickachickachickachicka. rattle.

I've read many a thread saying that the ST's 6-speed has a natural "noisiness" to it, including a rattle at idle, and not to worry, but considering I don't have an ST nor the ST's 6-speed (which I believe is made by a different manufacturer, do correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think those should apply to me and my car.

I've also read many a thread saying it was the throwout bearing and that's also what the Ford Service guy said, and to get it replaced, which is what I have done, yet it still does the same thing.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine, but if I'm spending this much money on a new car, I don't want it to be rattling like my transmission is gonna die soon.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any TSB's or other similar situations. I would like some second opinions before I take it back to Ford and make someone else listen to me push a pedal a few times. Clearly it isn't the throwout bearing, or is it really just that loud and rattly of a car?

I can try and put a YouTube video of the noise up later, if that'll be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Frustrated

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86547
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

Points 1,104, Level 18
Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18 Points: 1,104, Level: 18
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 0 DougC Newbie
Mr. Frustrated,

It's gear rollover and it's what the MTX75 does. Enjoy!
Old 03-11-2015, 09:46 PM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 118470
What I Drive: 2013 Focus SE Oxford White Hatch 5m

Points 24,630, Level 95
Points: 24,630, Level: 95 Points: 24,630, Level: 95 Points: 24,630, Level: 95
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 16%
Activity: 16% Activity: 16% Activity: 16%
FF Reputation: 18 wavsine Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsbryce89 View Post
I took it to Ford on Monday, and just got it back this evening on Wednesday. They said it was a failed throwout bearing, and that it was replaced (under warranty, of course.). However, upon driving 26 miles back home, and opening my door in a quiet parking lot, the effing thing hasn't changed. chickachickachickachicka. rattle.

I've read many a thread saying that the ST's 6-speed has a natural "noisiness" to it, including a rattle at idle, and not to worry, but considering I don't have an ST nor the ST's 6-speed (which I believe is made by a different manufacturer, do correct me if I'm wrong), I don't think those should apply to me and my car.

I've also read many a thread saying it was the throwout bearing and that's also what the Ford Service guy said, and to get it replaced, which is what I have done, yet it still does the same thing.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine
The service advisor you talked to has no experience at all with the MTX-75 if he replaced your throwout bearing on your brand new car.

If it rattles with the car in neutral and the clutch not depressed, it's normal.

The noise you are hearing is perfectly normal for the MTX-75 manual transmission. It is called gear lash rattle. It will be more noticeable when the car is fully warmed up and it is hot outside.

What this tells me is that dealership sells so few MK3s with a 5 speed manual transmission they are not even familiar with the characteristics of the MTX-75. Here is a detailed explanation of what causes gear lash rattle:

http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/gear_rattle.htm

3 pedals will grow hair on your chest
Old 03-11-2015, 10:11 PM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 58840
What I Drive: '03 5spd&auto sedans, '13 5spdHB

Points 345, Level 6
Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6 Points: 345, Level: 6
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 ErinP Good Standing Member
In fact, if it IS a throwout bearing, OP, you should be able to quiet it as you start to release the clutch. That is, the buzz is directly related to pressure of the clutch plate. Less pressure, less noise...more pressure, more noise.
If it has nothing to do with the application or release of pressure, it's not your culprit.

Focus1-- '03 SE 5spd --teen mobile
Focus2-- '03 SE auto --oil field commuter
Focus3-- '13 SE 5spd --grocery getter/family car
Old 03-11-2015, 10:24 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 224298
What I Drive: '14 Sterling Grey Metallic SE Sedan

Points 220, Level 4
Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4 Points: 220, Level: 4
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 2%
FF Reputation: 1 adamsbryce89 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavsine View Post
The noise you are hearing is perfectly normal for the MTX-75 manual transmission. It is called gear lash rattle. It will be more noticeable when the car is fully warmed up and it is hot outside.

What this tells me is that dealership sells so few MK3s with a 5 speed manual transmission they are not even familiar with the characteristics of the MTX-75.
Thanks! Makes me feel better.

You're very right about them not selling many 5-spd MK3's... There were only two on the lot, one very used S model and a new SE, the one I bought.

I should have searched more on the forum, as "MTX-75 rattle" brings up many results, including others you've replied on showing the majority saying it's normal. Bad on my end!

Side-note: the rental they gave me while mine was getting a new throwout bearing was a '14 hatch with the PowerShift... and wow, are those things awful. I mean, I know why, and it's just being a DCT, but the fact they would let something so rough-running be sold in thousands of these cars is astounding.

Again, thanks!
Old 03-11-2015, 11:12 PM   #6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 220002
What I Drive: '12 Focus SE Hatchback

Points 77, Level 1
Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1 Points: 77, Level: 1
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 1 Heat1 Good Standing Member
Take a look at this thread:

do you all have the manual rattle to

As for the numbers of manuals vs. DCT, as of '12 7% of Focus' were manuals.

Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...ck-test-review

Quote:
Ford’s latest estimates say 93 percent of Focus buyers will opt for the PowerShift; we say that’s a lot of people who should learn to drive a stick...
It is a nice article to read, the headline is:

2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Manual
It's been a long time since we've driven a small car this sweet.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:58 AM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 157898
What I Drive: 2012 focus SE hatchback candy blue

Points 2,053, Level 27
Points: 2,053, Level: 27 Points: 2,053, Level: 27 Points: 2,053, Level: 27
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 2 ELCouz Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsbryce89 View Post
Alright, I'm somewhat annoyed. Since I drove my '14 SE 5-speed off the lot @ 8 miles on the odo, my transmission will rattle when stopped, in neutral, and I'm not on the clutch.

It's subtle at times, but it's there. When stopped, (road noise blocks it out if driving), if I push the clutch in, the rattling stops. As soon as I let out the clutch again, the rattling continues. I chocked it up to being a new car and figured parts needed some good use to settle. 3000 miles later - nope - rattle got louder.

The car runs and drives perfectly fine, but if I'm spending this much money on a new car, I don't want it to be rattling like my transmission is gonna die soon.

I'm curious if anyone knows of any TSB's or other similar situations. I would like some second opinions before I take it back to Ford and make someone else listen to me push a pedal a few times. Clearly it isn't the throwout bearing, or is it really just that loud and rattly of a car?

I can try and put a YouTube video of the noise up later, if that'll be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Mr Frustrated
Gear rollover do a search on this forum...

This is at least 10th thread about MTX neutral noise....

it's been like that since 1992

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.