exhaust/performance upgrades - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 216714
What I Drive: 2013, Oxford White, SE Sedan 5spd

Points 1,253, Level 19
Points: 1,253, Level: 19 Points: 1,253, Level: 19 Points: 1,253, Level: 19
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 1 Griffin27WV Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
exhaust/performance upgrades

I'm new to the focus community and after only a few short weeks of ownership I already have most of my cosmetic upgrades done to my car. Now however I'm curious to what I should do next. I have read a lot of threads on the engine mounts and sway bars and of course CAI. Are either the engine mounts or sway bars providing any real noticeable improvements? And how so? Also is there any cheap(under ~$300 or so) upgrades to the exhaust? I don't want my car to sound like rice or have a loud idle sound. I just want a solid good more vigorous sound at the higher rpm's or else I would simply go straight pipe, but given the fact it's a 4beater I won't. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2015, 11:50 PM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 219138
What I Drive: 14' Focus ST

Points 42, Level 1
Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1 Points: 42, Level: 1
Level Up 84% Completed
Level up: 84% Level up: 84% Level up: 84%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 1 GabAlmighty Good Standing Member
Exhaust for <$300 i'd just put a test pipe in it if I were you. No real comment on the engine mounts, hear they help with wheel hop. Me personally i'm going to be putting in a larger swaybar in the back. Or you could save up bit more and put some coils under it.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 117379
What I Drive: 2013 Sonic Blue SE Sedan 6SPD DCT

Points 793, Level 14
Points: 793, Level: 14 Points: 793, Level: 14 Points: 793, Level: 14
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 2 schrodingersbox Good Standing Member
I did a custom exhaust in the old "Camaro style" muffler to dual pipe and it has a great low rumbling sound. Cold starts is bloody loud but once it's up to temperature the starts are really subtle and full of bass. I wanted to go closer to a dual-type setup but the loudness factor deterred me and I am so so so so satisfied with what I have. You can probably do a decent sounding axle-back for 300 locally maybe?
SR #316 - Daily Driven 2013 Focus SE Sedan 6spd DCT +fun things
Old 02-23-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 221074
What I Drive: 2014 Black SE Hatchback SAP SHP

Points 194, Level 3
Points: 194, Level: 3 Points: 194, Level: 3 Points: 194, Level: 3
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 CarterSE802 Good Standing Member
I just did the engine mount insert from FSWERKS. I have studded snows on and it's cold but there is definitely less wheel hop and engine movement. For 15 bucks shipped it's a no brainer. Just did the steeda rear sway bar and strut tower brace Friday night. Huge difference in handling. The rear feels firmly planted with no fuss even at speed. The ride quality does not suffer either on the crappy VT roads. I did the FSWERKS green filter CAI and that adds a nice growl to the engine without any ricey sounds. Power and torque get a boost as well. Total for all of this was about 500ish. Really makes a world of difference. Hope this helps!
Old 02-24-2015, 03:46 AM   #5
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 223634
What I Drive: 2013 SE

Points 65, Level 1
Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1 Points: 65, Level: 1
Level Up 30% Completed
Level up: 30% Level up: 30% Level up: 30%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 blurryvision Good Standing Member
I have mine setup straight piped with dual outs (no muffler just the converter) and I can testify that she is very loud, not ear-splitting but you will wake the neighbors.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
The ImpoSTer

Fan#: 119194
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5Speed SE Sport Sedan

Points 10,852, Level 69
Points: 10,852, Level: 69 Points: 10,852, Level: 69 Points: 10,852, Level: 69
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 3 Theblueoval Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin27WV View Post
I'm new to the focus community and after only a few short weeks of ownership I already have most of my cosmetic upgrades done to my car. Now however I'm curious to what I should do next. I have read a lot of threads on the engine mounts and sway bars and of course CAI. Are either the engine mounts or sway bars providing any real noticeable improvements? And how so? Also is there any cheap(under ~$300 or so) upgrades to the exhaust? I don't want my car to sound like rice or have a loud idle sound. I just want a solid good more vigorous sound at the higher rpm's or else I would simply go straight pipe, but given the fact it's a 4beater I won't. Any comments or feedback would be appreciated thanks.
Well it sounds like you are operating on a bit of a budget like most of us here. As for the engine mount I'd recommend getting the poly insert for ~$15 you cant beat it and it helps reduce wheel hop, put power down to the road, and improve shift feel. For the exhaust if you are wanting to get it under $300 I'd look in the buy, sell , trade section for either a used m magnaflow cat-back, or just buy an axle-back portion if you really only want sound and appearance improvements. The Sway bar is a great upgrade for handling and paired with some springs body roll is pretty much eliminated. Personally I have bought most of my parts second hand and have saved a great deal by doing so without sacrificing quality. My cost for performance upgrades has been as follows:
K&N Typhoon CAI (New)- ~$250
E-focus RMM (New)- ~$70
FSWERKS Race Exhaust (Used)- $280
RDC Axleback exhaust (Used)- $200
Eibach Sportline Springs (used) - $120
Steeda Short throw bracket (New)- ~$70
Lowered Stock shifter w/ cutting die- ~$5
Removed snorkel and other airflow mods- Free

Hope that helps. I wouldn't spend the money on a CAI, from what I've heard you can get the same gains for far less by doing a drop in filter and the newmission mod (Search forums for info).
Oh and Welcome!

*for reference here are my exhaust clips-
FSWERKS Race (Very loud, got ticket for exhaust)-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dz_fDlgO1is
FSWERKS Race With RDC Axleback (Love the sound and performance, will never change)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWmWedre7ho
April 2015 ROTM|SR #312 | Focus Xtreme |Focus TakeOver #011
Old 02-24-2015, 12:36 PM   #7
Focus Addict

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: '13 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback DCT

Points 979, Level 16
Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 4 danbfree Good Standing Member
Some great replies already, I'll just +1 the FSWerks motor mount insert. For under $15 shipped my car feels 100% better. I wish I did it as soon as I got the car!
Old 02-24-2015, 01:34 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 216714
What I Drive: 2013, Oxford White, SE Sedan 5spd

Points 1,253, Level 19
Points: 1,253, Level: 19 Points: 1,253, Level: 19 Points: 1,253, Level: 19
Level Up 53% Completed
Level up: 53% Level up: 53% Level up: 53%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 1 Griffin27WV Good Standing Member
Well since you all seem to love the sways and the motor mount I'll probably pull the trigger on them and go ahead and do them, I'm still pretty hesitant on the CAI and exhaust. And I can't really do any suspension upgrades or lowering due to my already upgraded tire size and I'm needing what little ground clearance I have.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #9
The ImpoSTer

Fan#: 119194
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red 5Speed SE Sport Sedan

Points 10,852, Level 69
Points: 10,852, Level: 69 Points: 10,852, Level: 69 Points: 10,852, Level: 69
Level Up 1% Completed
Level up: 1% Level up: 1% Level up: 1%
Forum Activity 34%
Activity: 34% Activity: 34% Activity: 34%
FF Reputation: 3 Theblueoval Good Standing Member
What is your hesitation on the exhaust? Wanting to avoid sounding ricey? You can do that by just opting for an axleback portion.
April 2015 ROTM|SR #312 | Focus Xtreme |Focus TakeOver #011
Old 02-24-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
Focus Addict

Fan#: 159706
What I Drive: '13 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback DCT

Points 979, Level 16
Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16 Points: 979, Level: 16
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 11%
Activity: 11% Activity: 11% Activity: 11%
FF Reputation: 4 danbfree Good Standing Member
Also, for a bit of performance cheap, with just a bit more sound, then you can't go wrong with the snorkel delete and drop-in filter... For best bang for the buck and no need to oil there is the AEM Dry Flow for around $40 (K&N owns them now) or the actual oiled K&N for $60... you'll get about 2/3 the HP gain of a full CAI for a lot less money and time.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.