Power window stuck up - anyone have experience? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2015, 11:35 AM   #1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94571
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White 5-speed SE Hatch

Points 112, Level 2
Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2 Points: 112, Level: 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Level up: 24% Level up: 24% Level up: 24%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 aemik Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Power window stuck up - anyone have experience?

So after a period of sometimes working and sometimes not (typically not working when it's particularly cold), my driver's side power window (2012 Focus SE sport Hatch) has decided that it's not going to function anymore. I work somewhere that I have to show a badge to a guard every day as I drive up and I'm starting to get mocked for having to open my door and reach my ID out. I'd like to sort this out and preserve the remaining shreds of my dignity.

I have an extended warranty ... but I've also tinted my windows, so I'm guessing that taking this in to my dealership will end with an argument and a large-ish bill.

All the other windows work. Pressing the button produces an electrical click but no movement. I've taken the door apart right down to the metal and I can feel the regulator 'click' when I press the button. I have tapped, prodded, put a little bit of silicone oil around the glass/weatherstripping junctions, even put a big suction cup on the glass and tried to tap it while actuating the window to try to get it to roll down. Nothing.

Has anyone done battle with these power windows before? Any tips? I have the strangest feeling that if I could just get the stinking thing to roll down a little bit, I could sort this out with generous application of silicone or some dry lube. But I can't get the window to budge and I'm sort of afraid to go much further given the last time I got into window guts it was a manual window on a 1982 BMW 320i...

Any assistance, links, tips, advice, or consolations would be appreciated. If any of the lurking Ford reps might have any assistance to offer with respect to getting warranty help with aftermarket tint, that would be awesome, but I'm not getting my hopes up there.

And to provide at least some useful informational content here, if you apply a little spray silicone lube to the window tracks with the windows rolled down, wipe off the excess, then roll the windows up and down a few times to distribute the lubricant, the roll-up and roll-down times seem to go down by as much as a few seconds. Kinda nice, and could also help with the longevity of those moving parts.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2015, 11:55 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102694
What I Drive: 12 SE Sport Sedan - Sterling Gray

Points 470, Level 9
Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9 Points: 470, Level: 9
Level Up 40% Completed
Level up: 40% Level up: 40% Level up: 40%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 3 Wildsailor Good Standing Member
My window on my SE Sport Sedan started moving slow 2 years ago and then began to get intermittent in operation when it was cold out. In the middle of Winter 2014 it gave up completely, luckily in the up position.

I took it to the dealer and the window motor was replaced. Tinted windows should not matter.

The SE does not use the Door Module like the Titanium so it is not the module, programming, and there is nothing to 'reset' like is mentioned in other threads about window issues.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:04 PM   #3
Focus Rookie

Points 112, Level 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildsailor View Post
I took it to the dealer and the window motor was replaced. Tinted windows should not matter.
I'm sure the dealer would fix it with the tint on the windows, I'm just assuming that the tint will cause my warranty claim to be denied - thus I'd like to sort it out myself or take it to a 3rd party shop, just to save on cost.

Anyone had window claims denied due to tint? Anyone freed a stuck regulator?
Old 02-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #4
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 106663
What I Drive: 2013 Focus Ti (5 Dr.)

Points 2,093, Level 27
Points: 2,093, Level: 27 Points: 2,093, Level: 27 Points: 2,093, Level: 27
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 3 Just Tom Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by aemik View Post
I'm sure the dealer would fix it with the tint on the windows, I'm just assuming that the tint will cause my warranty claim to be denied - thus I'd like to sort it out myself or take it to a 3rd party shop, just to save on cost.

Anyone had window claims denied due to tint? Anyone freed a stuck regulator?
It's a bit of a stretch for a dealer to deny a warranty claim simply because you've had your windows tinted. Installing window film would not have any bearing on your windows not going up and down. All your other windows function and they have film, right? Anyway, you have the extended warranty, this is something that should be covered and the only way to find out for sure is to take it to the dealer. At worst, they deny your claim. The best case scenario, they approve it and you get a working window back so you can maintain what's left of your dignity.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:16 PM   #5
Focus Rookie

Points 112, Level 2
Level Up 24% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
It's a bit of a stretch for a dealer to deny a warranty claim simply because you've had your windows tinted. Installing window film would not have any bearing on your windows not going up and down. All your other windows function and they have film, right? Anyway, you have the extended warranty, this is something that should be covered and the only way to find out for sure is to take it to the dealer. At worst, they deny your claim. The best case scenario, they approve it and you get a working window back so you can maintain what's left of your dignity.

Just my .02 cents worth.
Well, I went in and risked paying the diagnostic fee. Lo and behold, the repair was covered by my extended warranty, and since they had to order a part, they gave me a rental so I was in and out of the dealership in an hour. Got my car back the next day, window (and dignity) restored. I always feel like a chump getting talked into extended warranties and typically decline them. This car has been reliable enough that I probably won't 'recover' my investment but it's nice to know that they seem to be dealing in good faith.

And apparently the motor was only intermittently working and the regulator gears were stripped to boot, so my fantasies of fixing this myself without a full replacement of the regulator assembly were just that, fantasies. Now that the window is rolling, I liberally applied silicone lube to the tracks to hopefully keep this one going a bit longer. Another 45k miles would put me outside of my warranty...
Old 02-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #6
Focus Addict

Fan#: 105885
What I Drive: 2015 Ford Fusion

Points 1,769, Level 24
Points: 1,769, Level: 24 Points: 1,769, Level: 24 Points: 1,769, Level: 24
Level Up 69% Completed
Level up: 69% Level up: 69% Level up: 69%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 2 Marine Good Standing Member
Mine sticks occasionally. the rear ones. I rarely open them and the heat in Florida is most likely the culprit. I just rap the window and its fine after that.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.