Ford Powershift/DCT Transmission Info & Use Guide (New Owners Look Here!) - Page 7 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree96Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2014, 10:39 PM   #61
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 116028
What I Drive: 2013 hippopotamus color Focus SE

Points 350, Level 6
Points: 350, Level: 6 Points: 350, Level: 6 Points: 350, Level: 6
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 j ferguson Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I'm with Sailor. Our 2013 is up to 37k miles and no complaints. I'm 72 and not in any particular hurry around town so i drive it like I did with all the manuals, leave plenty of room in front of me, get out of the way of people who want to drive a foot behind me, and let the kids have all the excitement.

Mind you, I didn't use to drive this way, but I ALWAYS kept space in front of and behind me, usually light speeding was the way to keep people off my tail. one accident in a bit over a million miles, and yes, it was my fault.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2014, 09:09 AM   #62
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 195433
What I Drive: 2011 Focus Trend LW Sedan

Points 7, Level 1
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 eRadicant Good Standing Member
Have had the Focus for about a fortnight and I noticed something today, and that is when I have it in sports mode it never shifts to 6th (I tried cruising at 125km/hr, close to 3.5k RPM I think, don't remember). I like the delayed shifts of the sports mode but now I have to remind myself to put the car into 6th when on the freeway.
Is this normal?
It's a 2011 powershift but had work done on the trans under warranty by the previous owner earlier this year
Old 10-29-2014, 09:41 AM   #63
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127986
What I Drive: 2013 black Focus 2.0 Hatchback

Points 261, Level 5
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 bayuap Good Standing Member
In sport mode it's normal ... highest gear is 5th.
Unless you manually shift gears using the +/- button ... then you can use the 6th gear

Cmiiw

Old 10-29-2014, 10:30 AM   #64
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 195433
What I Drive: 2011 Focus Trend LW Sedan

Points 7, Level 1
Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1 Points: 7, Level: 1
Level Up 13% Completed
Level up: 13% Level up: 13% Level up: 13%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 eRadicant Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayuap View Post
In sport mode it's normal ... highest gear is 5th.
Unless you manually shift gears using the +/- button ... then you can use the 6th gear

Cmiiw
Ahh sweet, was just checking.

Most sports modes on non-sports cars aren't a whole lot different from normal and still emphasise fuel efficiency, that's why I was surprised.

I've also found that the powershift is reluctant to down shift when you suddenly step on it. Sometimes it will, sometimes it won't.

I tried select shift but the shifts are incredibly delayed so not really a fan of that.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:02 AM   #65
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 127986
What I Drive: 2013 black Focus 2.0 Hatchback

Points 261, Level 5
Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5 Points: 261, Level: 5
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 3 bayuap Good Standing Member
If you want a different sport mode, get a tune either from sct or injected. The tune will change the shifting point at higher rpm, so it will be "sportier" while still having good fuel efficiency.
Old 11-17-2014, 02:27 PM   #66
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 197129
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WhatTheFocus Good Standing Member
so you use sport mode and dont shift yourself? Is that how u normally drive? I tried it but wasnt sure how i felt about it rly
Old 01-17-2015, 01:07 AM   #67
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 214249
What I Drive: 2013 Blue Candy Titanium HB

Points 66, Level 1
Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1 Points: 66, Level: 1
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 chili_red Good Standing Member
Thank you for the write up, this is what I personally found about the Ford DCT, similar to other DCTs, just don't expect them to be automatics.
I had a 2013 Hyundai Veloster with the DCT and it was terrible, nothing compared to the one in the Focus.
Old 01-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #68
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 215985
What I Drive: 2015 Magnetic Grey Titanium

Points 601, Level 12
Points: 601, Level: 12 Points: 601, Level: 12 Points: 601, Level: 12
Level Up 2% Completed
Level up: 2% Level up: 2% Level up: 2%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 PuttPuttVroom Good Standing Member
To the OP, I just wanted to join up and thank you for the info.

I recently went for a test drive in a 2015 Focus Ti. It was a showroom floor model, loaded to the brim with all the features.

Coming from a 2000 Focus SE, this thing really handles differently. But at least I was relatively well prepared for how the DCT handled. And you know what? Not a problem. Yes, there were some stutters at the low revs (starting up from a full stop at a red light), or inching along a parking lot (or the dealership's lot), but it was no jerkier than if I was driving clutch myself.

Mind you, I am comfortable driving stick, even though my personal car is an auto. So to me the jerkiness was really very reasonable given how it would have been had I been the one shifting, not the computer.

Anyways, I get why WhatTheFocus has many concerns about the DCT, but all the same it's not as bad as many make it out to be. As someone who is confident at driving a stick, I will say that the DCT's slight jerkiness is nothing to be concerned about.

All that said, we don't quite know what changes Ford has made, mechanically or with software, to the DCT system. The new 2015s could just be that much smoother than the 2014s.
Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #69
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 205626
What I Drive: 2014 Sterling Gray SE Hatch

Points 473, Level 9
Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9 Points: 473, Level: 9
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 2 PacketHauler Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuttPuttVroom View Post
To the OP, I just wanted to join up and thank you for the info.

I recently went for a test drive in a 2015 Focus Ti. It was a showroom floor model, loaded to the brim with all the features.

Coming from a 2000 Focus SE, this thing really handles differently. But at least I was relatively well prepared for how the DCT handled. And you know what? Not a problem. Yes, there were some stutters at the low revs (starting up from a full stop at a red light), or inching along a parking lot (or the dealership's lot), but it was no jerkier than if I was driving clutch myself.

Mind you, I am comfortable driving stick, even though my personal car is an auto. So to me the jerkiness was really very reasonable given how it would have been had I been the one shifting, not the computer.

Anyways, I get why WhatTheFocus has many concerns about the DCT, but all the same it's not as bad as many make it out to be. As someone who is confident at driving a stick, I will say that the DCT's slight jerkiness is nothing to be concerned about.

All that said, we don't quite know what changes Ford has made, mechanically or with software, to the DCT system. The new 2015s could just be that much smoother than the 2014s.
The DCT in my 2014 has been extremely smooth. Even inching through parking lots, it is just as smooth as the wet clutch VW that I had.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:33 PM   #70
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 216818
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE Auto

Points 50, Level 1
Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1 Points: 50, Level: 1
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Los_Torta Good Standing Member
My focus has 12,000 miles on it, and during that time, the transition from first to second produced shudder, but somewhere around the 11,000 miles mark, the transmission smoothed out, and I have not experience shutter since then. I believe that this is due to the transmission not being entirely broken in. I drive mostly on freeway, so the clutch was not getting much use. During December, I made the concerted effort to drive only on surface streets, and use the clutch as much as I could, I figured, if you must fail, fail now. I also performed the "clutch scrubbing" technique, this eliminated the shuttering. Shudder should not be confused for low speed jerkiness, any DCT will jerk at crawling parking lot speeds. Shutter will be slippage during gear transitions, primarily first to second.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.