Ford Powershift/DCT Transmission Info & Use Guide (New Owners Look Here!) - Page 6 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest

Like Tree91Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2014, 11:51 AM   #51
Old Phart

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 30,664, Level 100
Points: 30,664, Level: 100 Points: 30,664, Level: 100 Points: 30,664, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 100%
Activity: 100% Activity: 100% Activity: 100%
FF Reputation: 130 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Works for me, I'm forced to drive that way in a truck. Push close enough to block cars from getting in front & depending on the rig I might only see the roof or hood of the car in front. One jammed on set of brakes and someone gets bumped - not worth it.

Laugh a lot when someone pushing & shoving ends up behind me, or I catch up at the toll booth.

Roll easy & change gears as little as possible saves a lot of effort, don't lose more than a few minutes all the way through town if I get caught in a poor lane choice.

Knowing which lanes work best for me on average helps, get in the right one when it's easy to do so & just stay there through the bad sections. Lane choice, planning & looking ahead, playing the averages all make a trip through any bad traffic area easier.

S.R. #275
Focus Takeover #003 / Tarbo Fan #003
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #52
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 197129
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black SE Hatchback

Points 4, Level 1
Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1 Points: 4, Level: 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 WhatTheFocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFocus View Post
actually you're wrong.
Whatever. Getting mad at your gearbox and Ford and those telling you how to make it drive better isn't going to "fix" it.

Have a nice day.

Mad? I'm not, you seem to be, bc I didnt 100% agree with everything you said? Mr. Sensitive.

In any event, you said I must want an automatic.... well, I've driven nothin but manual in my time... the DCT having some manual characteristics was appealing to me... I love my car tyvm. I don't have major issues either.... in fact, my "issues" involve mild shutter and nothing else, an issue that I don't even consider to be one. Idk what the future will hold in regards to how this trans will hold up but that's TBD... so continue on with putting words in my mouth for me despite the fact i never said I didnt like my car, I just think the "leaving gaps" portion of your post is ridiculous. Creeping should not over heat a trans.... Pedal to the medal from stop sign to stop sign could....
Food for thought Joeywhat a.k.a. thee engineer of the DCT. lawl.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #53
Old Phart

Points 30,664, Level 100
Points: 30,664, Level: 100 Points: 30,664, Level: 100 Points: 30,664, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
FF Reputation: 130 sailor Excellent Standing Member sailor Excellent Standing Member
Apparently you misunderstood something of the commentary on avoiding creeping for better results from the trans..

Below full engagement speed the trans will be engaging, disengaging & "slipping" the clutch, so it won't be smooth & heat/wear is an issue. As with a manual (which these really are) it's better to limit the amount of clutch slip employed to get the desired result.

Pedal to the metal & it's happy as it can do what it should, creep along with a lot of partial engagement - not happy at all. Intentional "shudder" to discourage that type of driving was considered in preliminary design according to some of the early commentaries on the design that have been posted here. Not sure that going with overheat warnings only was any better a plan.

S.R. #275

Old 10-25-2014, 05:44 PM   #54
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Ok, so floor it everywhere. Got it.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:59 PM   #55
#becauseracecar

Fan#: 145009
What I Drive: 2014 DCT Hatchback

Points 16,484, Level 82
Points: 16,484, Level: 82 Points: 16,484, Level: 82 Points: 16,484, Level: 82
Level Up 27% Completed
Level up: 27% Level up: 27% Level up: 27%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 14 Jburks Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
sounds about right
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatTheFocus View Post
Ok, so floor it everywhere. Got it.

My Thread-http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382642
Old 10-25-2014, 10:06 PM   #56
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 145466
What I Drive: '14 Black Focus SE

Points 900, Level 15
Points: 900, Level: 15 Points: 900, Level: 15 Points: 900, Level: 15
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 2 Mr.N00bLaR Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
I think that ford dealers should have made a better effort to explain how this transmission works. I know I was told when I bought my '14 mk3 with dct, "its an automatic, enjoy it". It was not explained to me at all how to drive this car. In a world where nearly every car has a conventional automatic that can take abuse in traffic, it is misleading that they are being sold just as every other auto out there. I can only imagine how embarrassing / upsetting it is to take your focus with dct into the dealer and be told that since you didn't know how / were not informed to correctly to drive the vehicle that your transmission has failed (or you contributed to an underlying problem)

That being said, for the time being, I am quite happy with my car. I have read posts / threads here and am enjoying my newish car.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:31 PM   #57
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.N00bLaR View Post
I think that ford dealers should have made a better effort to explain how this transmission works. I know I was told when I bought my '14 mk3 with dct, "its an automatic, enjoy it". It was not explained to me at all how to drive this car. In a world where nearly every car has a conventional automatic that can take abuse in traffic, it is misleading that they are being sold just as every other auto out there. I can only imagine how embarrassing / upsetting it is to take your focus with dct into the dealer and be told that since you didn't know how / were not informed to correctly to drive the vehicle that your transmission has failed (or you contributed to an underlying problem)

That being said, for the time being, I am quite happy with my car. I have read posts / threads here and am enjoying my newish car.
I could agree with this. Love the car, it's definately unique... handles extremely well, the leather seats are soooooo comfy, i love the sporty look.... and now that I'm hearing its better to punch it all the time around town for the sake of the transmission, its gunna be hella fun to drive.
Seriously though, the car is advertised as an automatic, the window sticker with all of its features says automatic... the stealership who has to have seen and heard about countless focus' coming in for trans. "issues" u would hope would offer a little more insight to customers on how these transmissions behave.... its like any new feature on a vehicle, from interior controls to how to charge electric vehicles, etc. anytime new technology is introduced to a vehicle, the sales people are supposed to be educated on thesefeatures and when selling, explaining them to customers.... it seems to me that none of them explain anything in regards to the DCT as far as telling us shutter will be normal, the grinding at low speeds is "normal", you're supposed to floor it to get the best results apparently as Im hearing from this thread now....
Old 10-26-2014, 04:50 AM   #58
Old Phart

Points 30,664, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 100%
Members who do drive theirs harder are generally happier, but so are others who "control" the shifting a lot by how they use the gas pedal.

There's been a lot of discussion about how to get the best out of it, and that's appropriate for an enthusiast's forum. I'm not going to try & recap it all in a few posts!

IMHO it should have been sold as something new & different, minimal mention as the latest new "automatic" isn't enough. Of course for many owners thinking about all the different mechanicals/electronics on the MkIII models is the farthest thing from their mind, as long as they turn the key & it goes that's where the interest ends.

S.R. #275
Old 10-26-2014, 07:33 AM   #59
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 4, Level 1
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Members who do drive theirs harder are generally happier, but so are others who "control" the shifting a lot by how they use the gas pedal.

There's been a lot of discussion about how to get the best out of it, and that's appropriate for an enthusiast's forum. I'm not going to try & recap it all in a few posts!

IMHO it should have been sold as something new & different, minimal mention as the latest new "automatic" isn't enough. Of course for many owners thinking about all the different mechanicals/electronics on the MkIII models is the farthest thing from their mind, as long as they turn the key & it goes that's where the interest ends.
I agree with you. Took the Foci for a joy ride. Drove it harder than normal.... and it went pretty well. A lot smoother for sure and certainly more fun :innocent: I have been tampering with the gas too.... IF i hear any grinding, i let off the gas for a split second then press again and it stops (it doesnt happen often but if it does its at low acceleration speeds)
Old 10-28-2014, 08:39 PM   #60
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 198969
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium w/Handling Package

Points 368, Level 7
Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7 Points: 368, Level: 7
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 1 rallyusa Good Standing Member
Hey All,

Long time reader, first time poster.

Just wanted to say thanks for those who kept this thread going with relevant updates on the DCT issues. I have had some shuttering issues over the past year but since my previous ownership of a 2002 Toyota MR2 w/Electrohydraulic Manual (just a different way of doing an automated manual) I totally thought the shudder was normal because the MR2 did the same thing. Using info from this post, I went to the dealership and asked them to check it out, sure enough they went ahead and replaced the seal and the clutch pack and I have to say, it's driving perfect now. I've always loved my Focus even with the shuttering issues it had sometimes, but now it's perfect, and the dealership had the car done in one day which was pretty awesome... I'm in no way a Ford fanboy, but I have to say they've done a good job in my opinion of stepping up with the extended warranty and notifying owners.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.