Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Experienced a new noise today ! Transmission, suspension or normal ?

3K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Logos 
#1 ·
Hi,

Yesterday, after I left work, I heard a strange noise coming from the driver side. First time since I own the car I was driving with no radio so maybe it's there since a while, didn't notice but yesterday I did. I bought the car in January.

The noise will happen when I release the brake and start from 1st gear. We can hear the noise when the RPM is below 1k. It's doesnt do it in a continued noise. Just few seconds after I release the brake.

The noise also appear when switching between neutral and drive (1st gear). I can easily replicate the noise by letting the car go in drive (no foot on the pedal, just putting the car in drive and let it go) and while it's moving, switching to neutral. If I do the reverse, neutral to drive again, I will hear the noise.

Is that normal ? Is that the transmission slipping or it's something else ? I have no transmission problem (or weird noise or even vibration) except what I described above.

I drive a 2013 Ti DCT.

The noise sound like a metal part is shaking or a gear having hard time syncing.

I haven't went to the dealer yet, waiting for the next oil change in 3000 miles. Like I said, after passing the 1k rpm in 1st gear, I do not hear the noise again.

Thank you.

See less See more
#2 ·
From your description, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Sounds like an actuator actuating or something. The DCT makes a number of quirky little noises that are different from a regular transmission, but no cause for concern.

When your DCT starts making 'wrong' noises, you'll know it.

Your Ford dealership may tell you that it's normal, and Ford Customer Service may tell you "there's nothing that can be done", but you will know when there is a problem. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.

#3 ·
And here I thought I was going crazy! I have the identical issue! It's coming from the front-driver side of the car and sounds like something is shaking. It occurs while the car is in park, in drive but not in motion, and the initial seconds when I let go of the brake to accelerate. It is a very annoying noise and whenever I take it to the dealer it doesn't make the noise.

I'm waiting for the weather to warm up in Montreal to determine whether its due to the cold or not. Please let me know if you find out any new information!

#4 ·
I am in Montreal too. I will let you know, no problem. Next time I go to the dealer, I will show them (if it make it!, for now 2 days in a row) and let you know what they said.

Since when it does it you?

From your description, I don't think it's anything to worry about. Sounds like an actuator actuating or something. The DCT makes a number of quirky little noises that are different from a regular transmission, but no cause for concern.

When your DCT starts making 'wrong' noises, you'll know it.

Your Ford dealership may tell you that it's normal, and Ford Customer Service may tell you "there's nothing that can be done", but you will know when there is a problem. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
I am very sensitive to change in a car. Every small noise or anything else, I hear and feel it.

#8 ·
Hi Bianca,

I've taken my car in the past to fix other minor issues and noises, but this specific noise comes and goes. In trying to address this issue on two separate occasions the dealer has changes the shock on the front-driver side, as well as applying the TSB-13-5-11 for a clunking noise. Unfortunately, this noise has persisted. I'll be taking my car in a few weeks for an oil change and if the noise is still occurring I will notify the dealer. Hopefully this time we can replicate it! I've sent you my information via PM.

Thank you!

John

#14 ·
Did you ever find out what this was?

I experienced nearly the same thing on my new 2014 Focus SE (haven't even made the first payment yet!) the last two days. So far, it has only occurred when coming from a stop, like at a stop sign. It doesn't matter if you are going straight or turning, so I assume it is related to something with accelerating rather than the wheels or steering. It also doesn't do it every time. It didn't do it this morning at all, but it did it when my husband pulled into the driveway at work (he has a 30 mile commute). So does that mean it's doing it when the engine is warmer? I don't know.

We have an appointment on Tuesday to get it checked, though I have a feeling they are going to tell me it's 'normal'. We've had this car from 6 miles, and it only started doing it at 1100 miles, when the 'break in' period is supposed to be over. Unless it just doesn't like my husband's driving style and is telling him so with the noise, lol!

#15 ·
Did you ever find out what this was?

I experienced nearly the same thing on my new 2014 Focus SE (haven't even made the first payment yet!) the last two days. So far, it has only occurred when coming from a stop, like at a stop sign.
Hey FordNewbieGirl,

I'd like to loop in your regional customer service manager, who'll work with you and your dealer to come to a resolution. Please send me a PM with your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership.

Todd

#18 ·
No, sorry. I am waiting until my oil change to check it out since it's not "urgent" and I am busy right now at work. I am at ~13 000 KM and my next oil change is schedule at arround 16 000 KM. I drive a lot so I should hit 16 quickly.

I will let you know what they say but I will go ride with them for sure so at least they know what I am talking about.

#19 ·
When we took our car in, they faintly heard it, but said it's normal. They asked if the car was shuddering or bucking, or if there was change to the rpms when it did it, and ours doesn't do any of that. They said unfortunately, the noise is not going to eventually go away, but it shouldn't get worse. Something about things rubbing against each other, or something like that.

Funny, since we had it in to the dealer, we haven't heard the noise as often. It was actually a week or more before it happened again. I don't know, maybe I'm just getting better at tuning it out!

I wanted to at least get it on record that we had the car checked for that noise, in case it turns out to be something down the road...

#23 ·
No, actually this noise comes specifically from my driver's side wheel. It occurs when the car is in park, or when releasing the brake when driving (ex. when stopping at a stop sign and letting go of the brake and rolling forward).

This is a distinct noise from the metal grinding noise of my gears changing that occurs upon acceleration.

I've recorded the noise. There are two sounds in this clip, the belt of the car, and then a weird metal/sounds like pigeons noise. It becomes especially pronounced between the 6 to 8 second and 14 to 19 second mark. I recorded this while the car was in park in my driveway.
https://app.box.com/s/0ddznacx2rpicanq4ag5

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.