Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Anyone move from a VW to one of these?

2K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  joshuafail 
#1 ·
If so and you've had your focus long enough for the newness to wear off...what do you think between the 2?

Looking at POSSIBLY moving from a Golf 6MT TDI to one of these due to an upcoming move/major shift in driving needs. I really like my Golf both in terms of quality and the way it drives, and especially the MPG of the diesel. I have an upcoming move in which afterwards, I will rarely need to drive more then 2 or 3 miles at a time, which is generally not good for current TDI's or any modern diesel with all the emissions equipment. They really need to be run at temp a good bit thus mostly short couple miles here and there will start causing problems with that stuff.

This gen focus is my favorite on paper and looks at least as good as other similar cars as well. Went to go look at a 2013 Titanium awhile back and test drove it and all. I'm pretty impressed with the material quality and all...right up there with mine and of course other higher dollar cars. The engine...meh...certainly not near the feel of my diesel and it's turbo and added torque, but par for the course there. Don't really care about ST and all since with such short drives, i'd rather save the money. The DCT....OMG....even with some low expectation after reading all the complaints...this is quite possibly THE worst transmission I have EVER experienced in a car without a doubt! Even compared to worn out high mileage about to kick the bucket regular automatics. Let me add that I have driven VW's DSG, so I am not totally unfamiliar with dual clutch transmissions, but this DCT is just horrible! Would def be getting a manual.

Anyhow, since TDI's hold their value very well, it wouldn't take much money to make the move. I have always been a Ford guy, in fact I have an F150 as well, but picked up the VW after spending so much time in Europe for the job where even their mundane Fords and Opels and the like, nevermind the high dollar makes, just always seemed nicer and drive better then our average cars. Eventually had to get something similar for myself for this side of the pond. This generation focus really does fill a lot of that void between their cars and ours. Despite this, and the cheaper, less, and easier maintenance, etc....I just get this creeping feeling that I shouldn't get rid of the TDI until it actual proves to be a problem with the new driving pattern. Also, while I know I wont get near the MPG, nor does it matter as much with such short trips, it doesn't help seeing the number of people that cant even get out of the 20's in these things. Seems to be just as many complaining about that as there are those sitting comfortably in the mid to upper 30's overall.

So any of you former VW owners have any regrets or other thoughts looking back?

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't say anything about a Golf, but I frequently rent new Jettas (gasoline) when I travel for work. I'm not a huge fan of them. You can compare my description to that of your Golf and see what you think.

The 2.5L is nice and sporty. It doesn't feel like it has a WHOLE lot more than the 2.0L in the Focus, though. One thing that is consistent in the Jetta, and that I absolutely hate, is that you have to almost bury your foot in the accelerator to get the car to do anything but crawl off the line in first gear. 2nd gear will throw you into your seat, though. It feels like the car is trying to protect itself and won't give it fuel or something.

The interior seems kind of cheap. When tapping on the doors they sound very hollow, and the material feels a lot like plastic. That isn't to say that the Focus doesn't have plastic door panels, but they feel much more substantial. The full metal door handles in the Focus are nice, too.

The seats are more comfortable than the Focus, but I'm not a fan of the pleather they use. Cloth or real leather and they should be nice. I find the Focus leather seats to be VERY uncomfortable (my only major gripe with the car).

I've never owned a MT, but I wish I had purchased one for the Focus. The DCT isn't awful, but I don't drive in D. I'm always using S manumatic. The transmission seems to shift better, is more reliable, and doesn't slip the clutch like mad after 1st gear.

Your gas mileage will vary very heavily based on where and how you drive. When I first purchased my Focus I was getting about 38mpg with about 3/4 highway, and very easy accelleration. Now I get between 30 and 33 with a heavier foot and only about 1/4 highway miles. I have a Titanium with 18" wheels.

I like the hand brake in the 2013 Jetta. Feels much smoother. The Focus hand brake definitely works, but it feels like the increments for tightening the brake (clicks) are more spread out.

When I get on it in the Focus I have yet to experience torque steer, though I hear the ST has a bit of a problem with it. The Jettas have been hit and miss (2011 - 2013).

The last nice thing you will get if you decide to go with a Focus is that the displays in the car are much nicer than what I've seen in the Jetta. You get full color LCDs instead of the monochromatic screens.

Hope this helps.

#4 ·
Traded a 2012 jetta sportwagon TDI with DSG for a 2012 Focus SE sport 5 sp manual.
Focus better handling and interior, its like an update of my 86 golf (still running) better city MPG.
VW seat padding better (pleather sucks), better hi-way MPG (Focus I get 38 to 44 MPG, VW 42 to 48 MPG).
Have had no real problems with Focus can't say that about the TDI.

#5 ·
I went from a 2011 golf TDI to my 2012 focus SE sport
I dumped the golf becuase of the high pressure file pump issue. That part costs 10 THOUSAND dollars if it blows, and they blow in about 2 percent of the cars. No warrany available for the part after 50k miles. I traded at 45k miles and got 14k for it. I was 4k upside down.

The focus is way better. I got 41 mpg with the TDI and get 38 with the the focus, but gas is about that much cheaper than diesel. Also, no timing belt on the focus saves 1k every 80 k miles. No particulate filter on the focus saves 1k every 100k miles. Every oil change is 100 bucks. See where this is going?
I need to get 220k miles cuz I drive 40k a year.

I have a manual trans. If feels just like the VW, great. We also have a 2009 VW eos, with 2.0 turbo, very very nice which is way faster but it should be. The focus is faster than the TDI. I have clazzio leather seat covers on the focus, and they are super comfortable. Better than stock, and about the same as the VW seats, which are great if you ask me.
I also put 200k miles on a 2002 gold TDI, and also put 265k miles on my 2001 jetta turbo. That was when I drove an insane amount of miles.
I like the focus and VWs about the same, but like the focus more than the 2011 TDI. The new TDI has way too many expenses that cost way more than the savings. The 2002 TDI got over 50 mpg. It was loud though.

#6 ·
I went from a 2011 golf TDI to my 2012 focus SE sport
I dumped the golf becuase of the high pressure file pump issue. That part costs 10 THOUSAND dollars if it blows, and they blow in about 2 percent of the cars...
Firstly, you drive more than anyone I know outside of a few truck drivers. What did you do that had you driving your personal vehicle so much?

Secondly, there is a part on a golf that actually costs 10k to replace? That's half the price of the freaking car!

Thirdly, where are you paying $100 for an oil change? Do it yourself man!

#8 ·
TDI Special oil, Hi pressure fuel pump go out the whole fuel system from tank to injectors has to be replaced ( small metal flakes), particulate filter replaced at 100 k if you had no problems with the system, exhaust flap sticks, inter-cooler condenses water and is sucked into engine ( I had that issue ) if you have the DSG it has wet clutches which at every 40k the fluid must be changed 350 to 400 at dealer (special equipment needed)

#10 ·
Seems like whatever fuel economy boost you gain is more than eaten up by crazy expensive maintenance... that's nucking futs.

*EDIT*
And while I'm glad you converted to a Focus, it seems a little unfair to dump a car because of the problems that have such a slight chance of going wrong... I'm sure 2% of Foci equipped with the self-parking system park themselves sideways up the wrong end of a telephone pole.
That is a funny image, and also probably a Ford Lawer's nightmare!

#12 ·
Could you imagine that phone call to the boss?

"Yeah, Bob? It's John.. listen.. we discovered a flaw in the system."

"..The hell you mean, 'a flaw'"?!"

"Well, I engaged Park Assist, took my hands off the wheel, and.. well, I'll spare you the details but I can see my house from here!"

#14 ·
I've had a few VWs, the last 2 being 99 and 00 TDIs, a Jetta 5spd and a Golf auto, the first an 87 Jetta GLI and a 98 Passat 1.8T (2 of them got wrecked, hence the early replacements!). My 00 TDI fuel pump melted at high altitude, and I dumped the car because, indeed, it was a $4k repair.

Base Jettas now have been de-contented ("redesigned") to compete with Corollas. The only VWs true to the form of my 87 (a real sport VW) are possibly the current GLI, and really only the GTI. Nothing replaces the torque and fun of a TDI in this class, but if you're going to deal with German repair costs, you'd be better off buying a Mercedes (which I did, 3 times after VW)

I find my Focus SE Sport to handle very much like my 87 GLI (which is to say, light, fun, and with "playful" and easily-managed understeer).

So far, at 18k, I've spent about $120 on maintenance. Cheapest car I've ever owned. Can't say that about any VW, especially a TDI

#15 ·
That HPFP is about 1k for the part, but it blows the entire injection system, fuel tank, fuel lines, intake, throttle body, etc. all need replacement. The body has to come off the pan, which means welding, all in all 6k in labor, 4k in parts. My freinds took 8 weeks of rental car fees.

Well documented just google VW HPFP

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.