Headlight settings Drl's or timeout - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104602
Location: Duluth, MN
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatchback

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 airick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Headlight settings Drl's or timeout

Gentlemen,

I have been lurking for a while here searching other threads and posts trying to figure out the best solution for this, I figured i might as well ask the question.

I have a 2012 SEL HB and am wondering a few things about the headlight settings.

If i leave my headlights in the "on" position will they eventually timeout, turn off and not drain my battery to nothing?

I am basicly looking for one or the other for what my headlights do. I want either the headlights to be always on, and turn off or timeout when i shut off the car, or have the option to override the lights in autolamp mode, for foggy conditions where it is light out but I need the headlights on, and then turn off when i turn the car off like they do already in auto lamp mode.

I know this has been talked about in other threads about the dealer being able to enable a DRL module or some setting in the computer (can someone confirm this?)

looking for options. Thanks for the help.


airick is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airick View Post
Gentlemen,

I have been lurking for a while here searching other threads and posts trying to figure out the best solution for this, I figured i might as well ask the question.

I have a 2012 SEL HB and am wondering a few things about the headlight settings.

If i leave my headlights in the "on" position will they eventually timeout, turn off and not drain my battery to nothing?

I am basicly looking for one or the other for what my headlights do. I want either the headlights to be always on, and turn off or timeout when i shut off the car, or have the option to override the lights in autolamp mode, for foggy conditions where it is light out but I need the headlights on, and then turn off when i turn the car off like they do already in auto lamp mode.

I know this has been talked about in other threads about the dealer being able to enable a DRL module or some setting in the computer (can someone confirm this?)

looking for options. Thanks for the help.
I will confirm what your dealer told you... you can (the dealer) activate or de activate the DRLs on the focus. I had it done but hated that ALL the lights on the car's exterior remained on so the dealer de activated them. I then had the fogs (which i never use for their intended purpose) hooked up to be DRLs and i can either have them set to light upon start up or control them w/ a discrete switch i have on the dash to turn them off or on at will.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104602
Location: Duluth, MN
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatchback

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 airick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I will confirm what your dealer told you... you can (the dealer) activate or de activate the DRLs on the focus. I had it done but hated that ALL the lights on the car's exterior remained on so the dealer de activated them. I then had the fogs (which i never use for their intended purpose) hooked up to be DRLs and i can either have them set to light upon start up or control them w/ a discrete switch i have on the dash to turn them off or on at will.
cobie,
when you say that all the lights are on if they enable drl's you mean like mirror marker lights and dim tail lights as well?
airick is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #4
Ford Fiend
 
TboneZX3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90494
Location: Jackson, MO
What I Drive: '12 SE Sport, '01 ZX3, '67 Bronco

Posts: 2,179
Points 1,286, Level 19
Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19 Points: 1,286, Level: 19
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 10 TboneZX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airick View Post
...or have the option to override the lights in autolamp mode, for foggy conditions where it is light out but I need the headlights on, and then turn off when i turn the car off like they do already in auto lamp mode.
That would be nice... What I do is sort of a half-measure. I leave them in "auto" all of the time, but turn them one notch left (to "on") when I need to override. Obviously, that doesn't satisfy your "auto off" requirement when you're overriding, however. I either have to remember to switch them back to auto, or be reminded by the door chime to switch them back.
__________________
Hatch Nation #90
'12 SE Sport 5Dr |╠╬╝|Sterling Grey Metallic|203a|Moonroof|17" Paint/Mach Whls|K&N 57S-4000|FFE RMM|Steeda STB, RSB|JBR bushings
'01 ZX3|╠╬╝|Pitch Black|Prem. pkg.|Moonroof|SVT Snorkel|SVT Springs|S2 Dampers|Steeda STS|Magnaflow exh.
TboneZX3 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104602
Location: Duluth, MN
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatchback

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 airick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Tbone,

That is what i am currently doing but i am usually oblivious to the dinging noise telling me to turn them off when i get out. comming from a 97 subaru i never had to think about it because the headlights turned off with the ignition.
airick is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113602
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 183
Points 259, Level 5
Points: 259, Level: 5 Points: 259, Level: 5 Points: 259, Level: 5
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I will confirm what your dealer told you... you can (the dealer) activate or de activate the DRLs on the focus. I had it done but hated that ALL the lights on the car's exterior remained on so the dealer de activated them.
I read about this on the forms and it really does sound strange. I have a 2013 SE, and since I'm in Canada it comes with the DRLs factory-activated. During the day, it only puts on the headlights at about 80% power. I have auto-lights set on, so when it gets dark (or I use my wipers), the headlights go up to 100% and the rest of the lights go on.

It's kinda lame that it sounds like such a pain to properly activate DRLs in the US, considering it should just be a software setting and they are pretty good when they work properly (I wouldn't want it any other way).
babaei is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104602
Location: Duluth, MN
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatchback

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 airick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babaei View Post
I read about this on the forms and it really does sound strange. I have a 2013 SE, and since I'm in Canada it comes with the DRLs factory-activated. During the day, it only puts on the headlights at about 80% power. I have auto-lights set on, so when it gets dark (or I use my wipers), the headlights go up to 100% and the rest of the lights go on.

It's kinda lame that it sounds like such a pain to properly activate DRLs in the US, considering it should just be a software setting and they are pretty good when they work properly (I wouldn't want it any other way).
agreed. looks like i am going to schedule a trip to the dealer to get the drl's activated and to also turn on the washer fluid low light that never turns on.
airick is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airick View Post
cobie,
when you say that all the lights are on if they enable drl's you mean like mirror marker lights and dim tail lights as well?
when DRLs are activated ALL exterior lights are on, lic plate, tails, side markers,etc.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 11:44 AM   #9
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104602
Location: Duluth, MN
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SEL Hatchback

Posts: 12
FF Reputation: 1 airick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
when DRLs are activated ALL exterior lights are on, lic plate, tails, side markers,etc.
i guess its a matter of personal preference but sounds good to me.
airick is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-30-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Fan#: 113602
Location: Vancouver, BC, Canada
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus SE Sedan

Posts: 183
Points 259, Level 5
Points: 259, Level: 5 Points: 259, Level: 5 Points: 259, Level: 5
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 babaei Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I have some more information about this. Talking to another Canadian in another thread who has a 2012 SEL, it seems that his DRLs are all the lights on, all the time. I guess Ford changed it at some point (2012 Job 2? 2013?) to be only the headlights on during the day.

Autolights seem pointless on a car like that, but there you have it.
babaei is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.





Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1