Focus Fanatics Forum banner

If you DCT issues, this will interest you...

5K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  spektrum2 
#1 ·
For the heck of it, I've been using SelectShift the past couple days. The one difference I've noticed is how much smoooother the shifts are in this mode vs. fully automatic; the rumbling in 1st is almost entirely gone.

Just a thought here, when they say "the DCT has to learn how you drive", wouldn't that be referring to the SelectShfit mode? I'm not exactly sure on how the programming is structured in the DCT, but if the full auto mode takes shift data collected from SelectShift, then I think we have a solution here, theoretically. Now, logically speaking, most of these issues with the DCT should just be software related, as much of these issues started after 12B37, which was a software update.

I'll be using SelectShift for the rest of the week, and will be going back to fully auto after. I'll update this thread then.

#2 ·
I noticed improvement with Selectshift, but a lot of my issues are when it's in Drive and warm out. It's 60F here currently, grinding was less obvious this morning compared to the other day when it was in the low 80's. I think what others said about the heat and issues is apparent though Ford has noted there are issues at colder temps so I am confused on that one?

#8 ·
I have also noticed that it is worse when warm out. I think this is related to leaking seals or binding components (possibly bad actuators?).

Ford told dealerships not to fix cars exhibiting a scraping noise only when there are cold ambient temperatures as replacing the clutch kit does not solve the issue. This makes sense to me - we're having more issues when it's warm that go away when it's cold and replacing the clutch kit (allegedly) solves our issues, so replacing clutches on cars that "scrape" in cold weather would be useless as it's (probably) caused by something else.

#9 ·
Those of us without selectshift are not helped at all by this. Just this morning I was coming in, wanted to pass someone, hit the gas, the engine reved but speed did not increase until the tranny figured it out four seconds later, after my window to move had passed.

Four seconds to go "Hey, the accelerator is floored, lets downshift and move this rolling POS?

The focus platform has great potential, but crap execution. It's not just the shudder tranny, but that's certainly the worst part of it.

#11 ·
I think they missed the boat.It should have a "teach mode"you start the program do a drive in select shift with shifts your comfy with hit save and thats it period.Maybe have 3 or 4 styles you program and save and away ya go,change them anytime you want,play with them for enconomy etc.Seems to me they have this big convoluted learning program trying to average this and that....just tell it what you want seems easier to me[woot]

#13 ·
Multiple saved shift profiles for the DCT

You took the words right out of my mouth. (Actually, off of my fingertips.) The electric seats in my wife's car have something like this, why not a transmission, too?

The answer is that our government (EPA) does not trust us to do it "right" and get high enough average mpg. I think for every lead foot winding it up to redline there would be another gas miser doing the geezer style to max fuel economy, and it would balance out overall.

Even the same driver at different times might switch between those extremes, depending on whether he/she is late for work or coming home from the dentist with a numb jaw. I guess that's too much freedom for some folks in the government to tolerate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.