Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Cheap alternative to a clearbra?

2K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  HoneyBadger 
#1 ·
I was watching some Plasti-dip videos on Youtube and saw some videos about the glossifier. That got me thinking... can you put glossifier straight onto paint, or does it have to be on top of Plasti-dip?

If you can put it on your paint directly, I wonder if it could act like a clearbra by protecting your paint but not really being visible? Even if you had to reapply it every year or so, at $100-200 per application, it would seem like you could save a good chuck of money over the long-term.

Anyone ever try something like this?

#5 ·
One or two hundred per application? After only a couple of years you'll be around the cost of a permanent 3M application on the nose.

It'd likely look worse than 3M, and I'm not sure of durability or negative effects it'll have on the paint in the long run.

#8 ·
I was quoted 800 bucks for a real, not fly-by-night, pro-applied clear bra. For that, I can get the paint job redone on the front of the car. Wax, maybe a deflector is my choice.

#16 ·
I was thinking $100-200 for the full car. That's what I've read it usually costs, at least. I've seen a full car ClearBra quoted at somewhere around $2000. I have no idea how long a full car worth of Plasti-Dip would actually last, but if it lasts long enough and protects the paint well enough, it might work?

Then again, $125 for a real ClearBra on the hood seems pretty cheap so that might be the better option to go with.

#18 ·
^^^Looks pretty good to me!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.