Focus Fanatics Forum banner

New Owner (2012 Hatchback SEL): Engine Noise, Parcel Shelf/Cargo Shade Questions

5K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  GhiaFan 
#1 ·
Hello,

I'm a new Ford Focus 2012 Hactchback SEL owner. It offered the best combination of price, fuel economy, quietness, and hatchback-ness out there and drove quite nicely.

I just have a couple questions/comments...

Wind noise is really good. Road noise is okay. But engine noise is kinda bothering me. It's really a low frequency rumble (like below 60 Hz). It's noticeable when I first turn on the engine and is pretty loud whenever the engine is revving, though it's less of a problem when coasting. Is that the norm?

Has anyone had experience with adding sound deadening? ie, dynamat and related materials? Does anyone have experience with how that has improved engine noise? I started calling shops and people were saying that they could also put sound deadening stuff behind the dashboard, but they could only go so far without removing the dash, and that removing the dash would basically double the cost of the job. Anybody have thoughts on that? I'm woefully inexperienced with cars and don't have the time to install the sound deadening stuff myself.

Second, it was carelessness on my part, but I didn't realize that the car (or at least my car) didn't come with a parcel hatch/cargo shade (ie, the retractable thing that covers the trunk). I tried calling my dealer to get one, but they said that the car doesn't even have the retractable option. Is that true? I thought that retractable cover thing was pretty much standard for cars. What do people do to cover the trunk then? I like to keep a bag of supplies and such in the car but I don't want it broken into.

Overall I'm still pleased with the car. Every car out there was going to be a compromise in some way. I would like to take care of the noise if possible, though.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
As far as the cargo shade, I have a TI and it came with solid shelf that lifts with the gate. As far as I can tell and checked they are correct there is no option for a retractable one. As far is the noise from the engine, I have upgraded my intake and that makes it louder. Although I really only notice it when the windows are down, or the radio is volume is low.

#3 ·
But engine noise is kinda bothering me. It's really a low frequency rumble (like below 60 Hz). It's noticeable when I first turn on the engine and is pretty loud whenever the engine is revving, though it's less of a problem when coasting. Is that the norm?
Complaints of engine noise are rare. First, I would suggest visiting your dealer and trying some other Focuses. This will rule out a problem with your particular car.

#6 ·
I wish there were more choice for engine covers, spark plug covers, out there for this car. A little dress up under the hood would go a long way

#8 ·
Very weird that you think your car is loud. The focus is known for how quiet it is.

I too have the engine cover but to be honest, I did not notice a change in sound - it was very quiet before installing, and still quiet afterwards.

Maybe something is wrong though? No way to tell without hearing it.

#10 · (Edited)
Some of the low frequency rumble is the fact it is a hatch. All hatches are more susceptible to make a deep rumbling sound due to the shape of the interior.
the fact your car is missing that hatch bit which goes from seat to rear covering the cargo space probably makes things worse.
that piece really IS a part of the car. and no way should it be missing.

Also fill up the cargo space with a bulky item. a thick blanket in there would cut the rumble some.
I am very aware of the deep rumble noise this car (actually any hatch) makes.
Like I mentioned, sticking sound dampening bulky stuff into the cargo space can reduce the rumble.

#12 ·
Some of the low frequency rumble is the fact it is a hatch. All hatches are more susceptible to make a deep rumbling sound due to the shape of the interior.
The fact your car is missing that hatch bit which goes from seat to rear covering the cargo space probably makes things worse.
that piece really IS a part of the car. and no way should it be missing.
You are probably right on this, the OP needs to get the hatch cover. With the muffler, rear wheel wells, and exhaust exit underneath or in the hatch area, I can see some low frequency sound making it to the front without the cover in place.

#15 ·
Hello,

I'm a new Ford Focus 2012 Hactchback SEL owner. It offered the best combination of price, fuel economy, quietness, and hatchback-ness out there and drove quite nicely...
Hi mister_eff,

Congratulations on your new Focus! I recommend spending some time checking out the goodies available at http://owner.ford.com. You can download free copies of your Owner's Manual, get valuable coupons, and schedule future maintenance appointments.

You should also check out the accessories available for your vehicle here: http://accessories.ford.com/. Just enter your vehicle's information and you'll find the perfect accessories for your Focus.

Crystal

#17 ·
Thanks for the replies. My dealer is insisting that the parcel shade is considered optional equipment on the car (which is certified pre-owned). The cost of the shade from the dealer is nearly $200, which seems insane to me. I may end up going ebay if I still want it, or else I don't know. Maybe try to just fashion one myself out of wood and some tarp-like material.

The low frequency noise I hear at low speeds seems to be DCT-related, and it seems to be a characteristic thing rather than a problem thing. I've only read a couple pages of the 75 page thread on the DCT. My car is limited to minor shaking/jitteryness at very low speeds, but otherwise the car drives smoothly. I checked the etis.ford.com website and it said "no campaign messages found", so that's supposed to mean that it has the 12B37 update, correct? Would that mean that everything in the car is up-to-date?

I do wonder if adding sound deadening material would reduce the shaking/jiteryness, just because of the extra weight.

Thanks.

#21 ·
Thanks for the replies. My dealer is insisting that the parcel shade is considered optional equipment on the car (which is certified pre-owned).
Thanks.
Wow, the stuff that comes out of some sales peoples mouths is brutal, unless of course you bought from a Honda or other non Ford dealership.
If it is from a Ford dealership, you best [driving] as fast and far away as possible and never return.

#19 ·
If you bought the car as certified pre owned, then I would think it should come with all the standard equipment. I would not take any crap from the dealer. Show them where it is standard equipment and demand they make it right. Possibly Crystal might could help you, I don't know where she would stand on this, but I would have to throw the BS flag on this one. If that doesn't work, you could always open a complaint with the local BBB. That will usually get their attention.

#20 ·
My SE Hatchback came with the cargo cover and 16 miles on it. No indication on the window sticker that it was an option either. I would call shenanigans on the dealer and keep pushing to get them to provide you with one (or the name of the previous owner to call adn harass to get it back).

With that said, you did buy a used car. Which might or might not come with everything the factory installed. Such is the beast.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.