Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Why oh why did I upgrade to 3.5.1?

4K views 22 replies 21 participants last post by  lifespeed 
#1 ·
Soon after v3.5.1 came out I had my dealer do the upgrade. I was still running with v2.11 which worked fine. Just needed an occasional re-boot. But the early reports on 3.5.1 seemed promising so I went with the upgrade.

Think I goofed[:(]

While the system is faster and calls are clearer, the entertainment part is all screwed up!

Using the same SD card that I used with v2.11, all sorts of issues. First, through voice command if I tell it to play genre BLUES, it would start playing Van Halen. While I like VH, they are not blues. But if I do it using the touch screen, it would work.

But the biggest issue is the system is not remembering what I was listening to when I shut the car off. Not happening every time, but enough to be annoying. [bash]

Same thing if I was just listening to an album, I would hop in the car and it would default back to playing the same Blues Brothers song. No idea why it keeps going back that particular song.

So, figured I start from scratch. Got me a brand new Sansa USB thumb drive. I went through and made sure all my music was properly in separate folders, checked to make sure the details on all the mp3 files were correct like genre. Basically cleaned everything up.

Well allot good that did me! The system is still doing the same thing [bigcry]

And I think it is getting worse!

Loaded some Beatles greatest hits albums onto the thumb drive, put the thumb back into the car and manually started the re-index process....a number of times. So far the system has yet to start playing at the same point that I turned off the car. I do turn the system off before I turn the car off. It keeps going back to that Blues Brother tune!!

For those who will ask, yes I did a master reset. At least a half of dozen times!

Never, ever, never had that issue with v2.11! So the question stands, was this upgrade worth it?

To Ford, you need to fire your software development staff and hire people that know how to properly de-bug systems!

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
It seems to be hit or miss with issues on 3.5.1.

I installed it on Saturday and everything is working no problems at all. Voice commands to select songs and albums no issues and all functions are working. The only odd thing was even though all my presets for AM/Fm/Sat were saved they were in different spots.

I haven't noticed any earth shattering WOWs resulting from the upgrade. The real reason I did the upgrade is so I could use Version 4 SD card for the NAV.

One bummer is I lost all my SAT Song ALERTS that I had.....
So far so good 3 days and no issues to speak of with the upgrade to 3.5.1 and Ver 4 NAV.

#4 ·
Only differences I notice are that my NAV is slightly improved but my BT doesn't always connect, so I have to reboot it with the DelayedReboot thing every so often which requires me to pull over and restart my car if I want BlueTooth to work... which I do. But I don't have to do the "BlueTooth connect dance" that I used to do. But honestly, I'd prefer that.

For me, it's more annoying than 3.2.2 - but I'll live with it until I get a new phone that hopefully plays nice.

#6 ·
I wish MFT was customizable. Like being able to move the order of inputs (Instead of having AM on top, move it to the bottom and move BlueTooth Audio up), put them in the order of my favorite I suppose.

MFT sucks anyway. So many better choices out there, makes MFT look so dated and antique. I wish my car didn't have it.

#11 ·
MFT 3.5.1 is working perfectly with my Galaxy Nexus Phone with Jelly Bean 4.2.1

I have compared MFT with two vehicles that I have personally tested. The first vehicle was a 2011 Land Rover LR4 fully loaded, the system on there was so bad, that it didn't have any voice commands, the display looked pixelated and the touch interface outdated. He had to pay around $100 for a cable to connect his iPod, it does not support USB for that device, though it has a usb connection.

2010 Porsche 911, its screen again is outdated, not easy to navigate and though it connects through bluetooth it is very limited to what it can do, again no voice commands.

#20 ·
mine works good with my iphone 4s. my only problem is I can not connect to my wifi due to greyed out keyboard. I have seen a few cars with worse systems also a friend has a bmw the screen is out of date and has no voice command and no music thru bluetooth and you have to pay for a cord to connect ipod/iphone. another friend has a toyota camry that seems to allways have problems with his freezing up.

#13 ·
I'm still on 2.11 and still lovin' it! I heard the key issues were result of interference from the Sirius weather app, so never renewed Sirius and issues gone. Of course I still get the occasional reboot too, but that's Sync for ya.

Still have my album art and wallpaper too!

#16 ·
3.5.1 introduced problems with text messaging for me. I'll receive a text and active MFT and it'll say, "Text messaging is not supported by this device," after I've received the text!!! If I press 'listen' on the screen, I can hear the text but options to reply no longer work; they did before 3.5.1. This is the case with both my Galaxy S3 (running Jelly Bean) and my new BB Z10. Grrrr!

#18 ·
I don't have experience with any versions but 3.5.1 because it was installed prior to purchase, but I'd be happy if the reverse camera guide was stable and the keyboard would work (It's grayed out). Also, every phone with MAP should work. Period. These things should have been tested before releasing 3.5.1 Take care

#21 ·
As I mentioned in my original post, no phone issues. Everything is working good except for the entertainment part which is really frustrating since I had none of those issues with the older version.

#23 ·
I installed 3.5.1. Mostly it seems pretty good and stable. However, I can't connect to wifi because the keyboard is greyed out. Probably not that important of a feature.

I also noticed that it no longer accepts voice navigation audio over bluetooth from my Android phone, which it did with the previous version. I have not yet tried playing music over bluetooth as I use a 128 GB flash drive instead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.