Focus Fanatics Forum banner

High Beams will not toggle anymore after service

12K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  mmmfloorpie 
#1 ·
I took my Focus to the dealer for an oil change a couple of days ago. (+ they repaired my mykey feature).

Last night, while driving I noticed that the toggle function of the high beams does not work anymore. I am referring to page 121 of 5th printing manual where it says "push the [turn signal] lever toward the instrument panel to activate". Before, when I did this, the high beams would stay on after pressing it.

Now, it will just act as a "flash-to-pass" a la what happens when you pull the lever towards you.

So now, pulling and pushing the lever becomes "flash-to-pass". Not very convenient to hold the lever down if I want continuous high beams..

Has anyone ever experienced something like this?

#12 ·
Ok my bad guys,

So the previous poster is correct, when on Autolamp, it needs to be dark enough to be able to turn the headlights on and thus unlock the toggle function of the high beams.

Since I have daylight running lights, the front headlamps are always on so that's why I was confused. I guess the Autolamp is really turning the headlights "off" during the day but the DRL overrides it.

So that explains why the high beams did not toggle the other day. I only used my high beams when I was trying to signal to this idle car that I was gonna pass him (so he doesn't open his door) during snowy weather (but it wasn't dark enough that day for the autolamps to turn the headlights on I guess). This also explains why it wouldn't toggle high beams when I tried it before I went to work in the morning.

But today as I was pulling into my driveway in pure darkness at night, with autolamps, the high beams did toggle on.

Mystery solved. Thanks for the help everyone!

#13 ·
I have a question about cars with DRLs. Why is the green "lights on" light ALWAYS illuminated, even during the day? I had a loaner 2012 and I couldn't figure out how to turn out that green light. I put the knob in every position and same result. The car also had SYNC and the headlights on the little car avatar in the instrument panel showed headlights (and taillights) were on too.

I actually had to get out of the car and see if the lights were on (they weren't)!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.