Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Are new 2013 Focus's having same issues as 2012?

11K views 84 replies 34 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this site and debating about buying a new 2013 Titanium focus with Auto and Nav. I did already read some forums saying that the 2013's may have gotten better but that was a few months ago. Just wondered if anyone recently knows if the issues have been resolved or not with the new ones. I have found one I like but have put everything on hold until I find out more about the issues. I don't want to buy it just to have non-stop problems. Please don't just redirect me to another link please tell me what you guys know about the current transmission and Navigation issues. I appreciate your help.

#2 ·
The '13s generally have the improvements from the factory that have been rolled out to the '12s over the last year. Doesn't mean they're perfect, but it means they have hit the ground running with the latest and greatest and should have fewer problems. This is the typical auto product life cycle.

#4 ·
My '13 is fine. I may have that slight suspension noise that others are speaking of, but it's not a big deal to me and I'm thinking if it gets to a TSB, I'll have that done. Transmission works fine, I like the mileage, Sync, MFT work well. We are still getting used to the nav. Once in a while it seems to get stuck or is thinking about where to take us, but that's more a function of my impatience. Need to wait until it's ready to show me whereto go before I drive off! We are on the learning curve for finding POIs too, but have finally figured out how to get the Tim Hortons stores to show up!

The two issues I have are a missmatch in the colour of the front bumper cover; it is noticeably darker than the rest of the car (sterling grey). They are going to repaint that for me this week. The other is the passenger side wiper that slaps up against the top of the windshield frame. That can be adjusted and will be next time it's in, hopefully the same time they pain the bumper cover.

Other than that, I'd recommend the car; works great for me!

#14 ·
Picked up a '13 Titanium w/handling package 2 months ago. No issues with MFT, Sync, or Nav. Everything is working as advertised.
We did experience a small "stutter" with the trans at the beginning of ownership but that has smoothed out. Guess it was the breaking in process or adaptive learning scenario. Good to go now.
We do have a slight hint of the suspension noise in the left front that has been reported here, but really not something leaving a bad taste. With the radio on, you can't hear it. All in all, we feel like its a good solid car for the money.
At just about 2000 miles, mpg as been consistent at right around 30 with mixed use of 80% city/20% highway. A heck of a lot better than the 11 I was getting with the traded Expedition.

#17 ·
Everything works great on mine, loaded except for NAV. The transmission takes some getting used to but this is a great solid car. Only gripe I have so far is my MPG which @ 3 tanks through and 900 miles I have only averaged 28MPG with 60-70% highway miles. I should be getting better than my co-worker with his 2009 Fusion 32MPG...[dunno]

#19 ·
It drives more like a standard than an auto, but that also means it tends to shift like a kid from the short bus. IE you're going into a turn and you hit the accelerator. If you were driving a stick, you might downshift, but the car can't read your mind, so it stays in a high gear until you're uncomfortably far into the curve and way past where you wanted to be 'gunning' it.

If you put it in sport mode, it tends to downshift more aggressively, and of course if you really floor it the car takes off.

Also, a good number of folks (myself included) get weird noises from the tranny while it's shifting. I've been told 2 times by a dealer that this is "normal" and within "spec". Ford extended my warranty on the tranny to 7 years for free, so they must expect it to last.

It doesn't make the noise when it's cold outside, but it's normal. :\

With all that said, I really like this car. I just don't think there is a hatch for sale in the USA right now that is as good an overall deal. (my opinion).

#21 ·
For everyone who says there are noises, there are people who say there aren't. It's an awesome car. My description of the tranny is not that different than a lot of fly-by-wire cars nowadays that are tuned toward gas mileage. There is a reason it doesn't downshift and rev to 5000 each time.

If you like the car, buy one. This is a good place to gather data but not the only one.

#25 ·
+1. The DCT is pretty much the only thing that isn't really nice on this car.

Even MFT is pretty good - unless you're anal about getting your Bluetooth to send metadata or the car to read text messages. In most cases, it's a joint phone/MFT issue.

I don't know about you guys, but my last car didn't even have an AUX input.

If you were to go the MFT route, I'd say the navigation is mediocre at best.

#27 ·
Hi 13Titanium,

Welcome! I'm Crystal, one of the Ford customer service representatives that helps out on this forum. You'll find a wealth of information and helpful advice around here - all you have to do is ask!

I think the Focus is pretty sweet, but I'll admit to being a little biased. [:)] We are committed to making vehicles that you can enjoy for years to come, but if you're concerned, I encourage you to reach out to the service manager at your local dealership. They see Ford vehicles every day and are excellent resources for getting technical questions answered.

Let us know if you decide to get a Focus of your own!

Crystal

#29 ·
Ok, anyone else who isn't sounding like a salesman and full of crap?
Wouldn't bash Ford's forum team... if you get a Focus and end up on the forums, they do the best they can to take care of you, best not to burn bridges before crossing them.

The Focus is an awesome car, and I have a Job 1 2012 model, built in June 2011. I've had some quirks with the transmission, but the revisions have helped tremendously in how it behaves. It's a Dual-Clutch Automated Manual transmission. Low-speed shudder is normal for automated-manuals on ANY car, ANY make. Grinding and replacing clutch/seals of course isn't normal, but the problems are being taken care of, so don't let that discourage you too much; you can have issues fixed, you're under warranty, and if your dealership gives you a hassle, enough bitching will get you just about anywhere.

MFT has been wonderful more often than not as well, and despite the flak it's gotten on review sites, using other infotainment systems in other cars has been more of a chore than a pleasurable experience from my experience.

The only way for you to make a decision is to go and drive one. Some dealerships will allow you to test a car for a weekend, try it out, listen for noises in the transmission, and if there are any, have them addressed before you buy if you want to buy. I looked into the Focus, test drove one, and immediately fell in love with it after driving it. It's comfortable, plenty nimble, full of cool technology, and it's the best looking Focus ever.

Don't let a few people in a forum make your decision for you, do your own homework, do your own research, hands on especially, and then decide.

#34 · (Edited)
No issues with the car. Drives fine and all the tech is working without incident. I just received an upgrade for the Nav system to ver. 4 and there is an upgrade to the Ford Sync along with it, which I have been holding off installing until I see how it worked for other.

I am getting 27mpg combined about 80% highway average speed 72 which seems to be the sweet spot. I have only noticed a 1-2 MPG drop when using 87 octane instead of 91 octane.
Currently have 5500 miles on my 2013 Focus ST.

I completed the 3.5.1 MFT upgrade, went through without a hitch and the A4 Version of the Nav is also working well.

all still good

#36 ·
My 2012 SEL has over 30,000 miles and no visits to a dealer for any warranty work. The 5 speed tranny is pretty poor when it comes hwy mileage versus the others. The 6 speed DCT is nicer and NO STUPID clutch pedal. However I would avoid the MFT since that draws more complaints than anything it seems

#37 ·
My 2012 SEL has over 30,000 miles and no visits to a dealer for any warranty work...
Sounds like you and your Focus are treating each other pretty nicely, JimsterG!

Crystal

#41 ·
I just noticed the mismatch in my trim along the bottom of the windows in the mirror the other day, and I for one, am not worried at all about it. I like the looks of the car and nobody but me can see the offset in trim. Other than that if the trim is my biggest complaint, oh and also hitting my head at the Starbucks drive through on my window frame bugs me but not enough to "hate" my car.

I will live with the little quirks, it's a whole lot better than my 2000 Honda CR-V with it's many rattles, 240,000 miles and gutless power, not to mention 24mpg.

I love my car! All 2100 miles worth of it.

#48 ·
My 2012 with MFT and DCT is approaching 8k miles and I still love it. The newest MFT update was a step backward for me, but that's really my only issue with the car. Remember they've sold hundreds of thousands of these and a large majority of them are problem free, and the owners don't come here to say how great their car is. On the flipside when people have issues (and there are some) they come here to rant or to get help.

#50 ·
Sure, but none of that means the focus DCT doesn't have a problem. The number of complaints on any of the forums is huge compared to similar cars. Clearly there is an issue, we just don't know how big it is yet.

The real test will be when all these cars start hitting 60k miles + and are out of warranty. On edmunds forums I saw a post where a guy hit 30k and his clutch packs went out, if you get 30 k out clutch packs you beter get that second one in before 60k and sell the car before 90k.

Also remember that even if you are the XX% that doesn't have issues or early clutch failures, that any higher than normal transmission failure rate can erase hundreds or thousands of dollars from your cars value even if it is OK.

Ford needs to get this tranny bulletproof sooner rather than later, then retrofit the 300k existing cars with whatever is needed to restore confidence.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.