Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Can rain sensing wipers be turned off?

19K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
I hate them. I've had them on other cars and loved them. But they just do not work on my focus. They're spastic and when you need them they shut off!

Is there a way to make them normal wipers again? When I put the selector in the "normal" range they still act as rain sensing. Augh!

#2 ·
Really?

When the stalk is all the way down, your rain sensing wipers will stay OFF. One click up on the stalk, activates the rain sensing wipers, any further clicks up on the stalk put your wipers to manual, ie: constant speed, the more clicks up the faster they go - like on every car.

You may also want to adjust the sensitivity of the wipers by turning the wheel/knob at the end of the stalk, that may make your rain sensing wipers work better.

#3 ·
my high and low constant on settings work fine. But at the first click up (the stalk) that puts it into "inter" mode pretty much means it'll be in rain sensing all the time.

From there you have the adjustable dial on the stalk. It doesn't matter what position i put that in, it's in rain sensing. even right in the middle, it'll be working fine and then the wipers will just go down (like i turned them off) until i either turn them off and on again, or adjust the dial again.

it's the most frustrating thing ever.

#6 ·
I am confused...

The only way to "turn them off" is to push the stalk down to its last position before it goes to the window washer fluid.

One click up from this last position is the rain sensing wipers. Turning the dial adjusts their sensitivity, it does not turn them off - the click of the stalk below this setting like I just described is OFF.

So what you need to do is always keep it OFF and then when you want to use the wipers, you have to move the stalk up at least 2 clicks to bypass the rain sensing wiper selection, and go to the low & high settings.

#8 ·
Yeah mine are:

High
Low
Rain sense
Off
Mist

Is there a way to change the rain sense to regular intermittent since the rain sense sucks so bad.
I believe you can actually unplug a cable and they do become intermittent. IT was posted somewhere here on the forums before, but I do not remember where.

#14 ·
I have the feature. but never use it. If it is raining hard enough to have the wiper on.. I turn it on. Otherwise I leave them off.
I too use Rain X and find I hardly ever really need the wipers unless it is pouring. (or to clean off the screen with a wash)
I hate wipers doing there own thing, and have never had a problem with the auto wipers.
I just control the wipers myself. [woot]

#17 ·
i know,, right? i agree w/ u... i mean you're sitting right there.. how much effort is it to turn on ur lights, ur wipers, or dim ur mirror by hand? talk about lazy! And people complain how technology in cars is ruining the driving experience distancing the driver from the mechanics of the car......

#15 ·
My auto-sensing wipers work really well. I enjoy having them on.

Except for the one time I went through a car cash and left them on. whoops! It was a hand car wash and they had to shut it down midway through to shut the wipers off on my car.

#18 ·
Hi 2k2wranglerx,

It looks like a lot of people have chimed in to help you out on this one, but if you still have questions you can check out the rain-sensing wipers section of the 5th printing of your Owner's Manual; the good stuff starts on page 133. You can download a free copy here:https://owner.ford.com/servlet/ContentServer?pagename=Owner/Page/OwnerGuidePage

If you have suggested improvements for the rain-sensing wipers, submit your thoughts to the Your Ideas tab of http://social.ford.com. Once your submission is posted, share the link here so people can vote on it.

Crystal

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.