Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Hoping to buy a 2012 SE this weekend, any advice?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Cam2012SE 
#1 ·
Hello all,

This is my first time here, but I've been stalking a whole lot. I've really come to love the new Focus, and I have my heart set on a 2012 SE with the sports package. I've had my eyes peeled online for dealers selling it in black with a 5spd (which would be my first 5sp too). The only thing that troubles me with this car is that it's got 40,000 miles.

Any advice when I stroll on the lot this weekend? [:)]

#2 ·
Moved to : MK3 Chat, you will get more responses here.

Since your looking at a 5spd there really isnt too much to be looking at. Look at like like a normal used car. take it for an extended test drive if possible and listen for possible rattles and squeaks. The 5spd is tried and true. and should be nice and smooth even with 40k on the clock.

#3 ·
I just picked up a 2012 Focus SE Hatchback, Sterling Grey, Automatic. It has 34k miles on it. I was a little concerned at the higher mileage for a car around 2 years old, but after the test drive, I was satisfied. I kind of wish I had held out for a manual, but I had a time limit on purchasing a "new" car. Other than that, like SkyPilot said, just look for the usual suspects and don't let them talk you into anything you're unsure about.

#4 ·
It looks like the 2012 carries a factory 5 yr, 60,000 mi. warranty. If so, it will give you piece of mind. I'm sure it's easily transferable.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2012/ford/focus/warranty/

Check around for the new '13's also, depending on what your price is on the '12. It should be possible to snag a '13 SE manual sedan for about15K or less after incentives (depending on location and dealership) and they have more standard equipment, maybe better (new car) financing. Follow up on the loss leader ads, look up dealer inventory on line. Good luck![8)]

#5 ·
I live in NC and I check Autotrader every day. There are several used manual Foci in the Virginia, DC, Maryland area. The ads don't say anything about the Sport package, but the alloy wheels in the pictures will tip you off that it is likely that they are Sport packages.

I have seen cars like this with 20-30k that are advertised for under $16k. I wouldn't pay more than what Edmunds or KBB says the car is worth.

If you can get one with less than 36K you can buy a Ford ESP plan that adds up to 4 more years of bumper to bumper warrant for $400-600. You can get them online at a pretty good discount to list price. I got mine for my Taurus at Flood Ford.

#7 ·
I agree, although on Autotrader a lot of ads that say manual are actually automatics, and some ads where they don't state which transmission is used can be manuals. With Autotrader I have found that the best way to tell that the car is a manual is to look at the pictures. A lot of dealers don't seem to know anything about the used cars they sell.

#8 ·
Sport package cars have the two-tone seats, AFAIK. Manual transmission cars have three pedals. Autotrader pictures should show you both of these so you don't waste your time. Don't buy a car that was owned anywhere near the area impacted by Sandy. Even if it has a clean title, it is not worth the risk. You will have no end of trouble from water damage.

#9 ·
I just picked up a new 2013 with a 5sp, original sticker was $20,500, it was marked down to $16350 with incentives. Only had to finance around $14k after trade. They have some good deals running on the Focus right now. They had some Titanium sedans on the lot hovering at $19k.

#10 ·
Actually, the one I'm looking at is in the DC area. The dealer said it was a Sports Package, and the pics show it does have a manual along with all the goodies the packages cover. The Carfax says it's clean, so I guess it wasn't flood damaged. I wouldn't mind spending $16k on a new one though, for the peace of mind. I would really like to have the suspension upgrade and read disk brakes though. I can add on fancy wheels and body stuff myself. Would the SEL be similarly equipped? I think I may also like the seats more on a SEL, because I'm kinda broad.

Thanks for all the help so far!

#11 ·
Its a great car! The Sport package will have two tone seats as well as rear disc brakes. Leather wrapped steering wheel as well as Gear shift boot & handle. Good luck![thumb]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.