Focus Fanatics Forum banner

For those with wings

3K views 25 replies 7 participants last post by  suss6052 
#1 ·
So, I've had my 3d carbon wing for quite some time now, and while it does make the car look freakin' sweet, I've noticed that the rear window washer no longer properly sprays the rear window. Anyone else having this problem?

#2 ·
Yes, the solution is to get the lamp from either the black pack cars (assuming that even though its still red it has a re-located washer nozzle outlet) or the clear ST spec CHMSL which should also aleviate the issue.

The new wings are longer and with the stock lamp the spray nozzle gets moved too far rearward to trigger the wiper to wipe until a lot of fluid gets sprayed at the screen, unlike with the stock wing.

The ST specifically has the nozzle moved forward to compensate for this.

I plan on picking up an ST stop lamp today at lunch.

#13 ·
You can modify the hose to work in the new wing with the original lamp however the original lamp won't spray the rear window properly as the nozzle on the stock lamp is closer to the edge of the lamp than it is on the ST lamp.

So when you spray the rear window it sprays past the wiper and then the wiper does not turn on until you've sufficiently wet the glass, where as it used to turn on right away.

Perhaps the red lamp from the base ST or the black pack with the 3d carbon wing would have the nozzle also moved to compensate for the longer wing.

The stock lamp physically works with the spoiler, and it only matters if you want the washer to work properly and spray the glass rather than the bumper cover.

#15 ·
Yeah, was unaware of this if it does! Especially since it doesn't come on by itself when it's raining - so I never thought it would have any kind of sensor for it.

EDIT: Just bought the ST light from Tousley.

#20 ·
There were at least two people with this issue in this very discussion, the O.P. with the 3D carbon wing and the stock third brake lamp was complaining about the wiper/ washer no longer working properly in pretty much the same manner. Misfire had also installed the clear ST lamp and seems to be happy with it.

There may be a non clear version with the corrected nozzle angle/ location which would should be part 8A6Z-13A613-B if you're looking to maintain the red appearance.

The clear part is available under service part number 8A6Z-13A613-C.

The stock part is 8A6Z-13A613-A at least as far as I can tell.

#23 ·
If I have to go clear then I can live with it but I prefer to match the tails which I plan on tinting anyway. I just want to save the $$$ since I have two other cars that call on my wallet also.

#24 ·
Ok, a quick update, be very careful with changing lamps in the cold as there is a risk of damaging the screw bosses easier, I'd recommend either doing it in an enclosed and insulated/ heated garage or waiting until after winter.

The wiper still requires a certain amount of fluid to be sprayed first before wiping, so I guess I really didn't use it that much before hand to remember this.

However the critical difference is that due to the stock wing being shorter the spray nozzle is pointed straight down as opposed to being pointed inwards toward the window. This causes it to spray mostly past the glass, where as the new one has the slot in a different position pointing into the glass so it fans out properly as opposed to spraying straight down.

#25 ·
I am note sure on the wiper needing a certain amount of fluid on the glass before starting as mine will start wiping before any fluid is sprayed onto the glass. This is probably because it has been -30C for the past week [xx(]

#26 ·
Its not that its determining a certain amount of fluid or not, more so that if you don't hold the spray/ wipe switch forward long enough it won't swipe at all despite spraying fluid until after a certain time delay, where as just energizing the wiper with the toggle switch works right away every single time.

This is the same as the front windshield sprayers, if you don't hold the switch long enough it doesn't actually activate the wipers even though it may have sprayed fluid. That is a common occurence on any car I've ever had.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.