Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Can I make the radio turn off when I turn the car off?

2K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Meathead 
#1 ·
I had a remote starter installed this week. SOmething I noticed is that because the car stays running for 5 secods after I close the door (manual transmission), the radio doesnt know to shut off. Right now I have to trurn it off manually when I get out, which is a little annoying. I am hoping there is a way to have the radio shut off by itsef when I turn the car off, rahter than openign the door.

#7 ·
Thats exactly it. It will only work if you push your clutch and brake in, then remove from gear, then pull e-brake, then shut car off. If the car is put back in gear before car is shut off, then it will disarm the system. I have had them on my last 3 manual transmission cars (7 years) and have not had a single problem. Only thing is cost. The cheapest one cost me $540.

#9 ·
The reason why most people don't recommend putting a remote start on a manual is that usually people take short cuts and bypass the clutch switch instead of ensuring that the car is in neutral with the handbrake applied, which would allow the car to start in gear and for higher powered cars like a v8 mustang it would have enough torque to crawl forward into things at idle without stalling.

Now if its wired so that it won't start with the car in gear remotely then that might be ok, but enough people did it the wrong way to draw fire to it here afaik.

#10 ·
+1. As long as you stick to a reputable place (I get mine at Best Buy) that will stand behind the install (lifetime warranty), then there is no safety issue.

#12 ·
Read how it works. The car stays running after the driver gets out of the car. So it has to be in neutral as its running with nobody in the car. Then it shuts the car off. Kid of like a turbo timer. So it knows its in neutral for the next start. If you open a door the remote start wont work as it thinks you may have put the car in gear. Its very simple. And perfectly legal in all states as far as I know.

#13 ·
When installed right, absolutely. My last car (2008 Mazdaspeed 3) I installed an HKS turbo timer... properly wired, it would only keep the car running if the e-brake was engaged. Otherwise it just let out a long beep and let the car shut off. Was very helpful in reminding me to engage the e-brake when parking :D

#14 ·
As an update, I activated the remote starter last night when I got home, and the radio did shut off. Maybe when I did it the first time, I did something wrong. So, if activated correctly (do n ot open trunk or other doors, after key is out of ignition) then radio does shut off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.