Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Projector Headlight enclosures on ebay...

17K views 110 replies 40 participants last post by  handshaker 
#1 · (Edited)
UPDATE 3/10/13: The chinese enclosures are sketchy and buyers are reporting failures immediately and no customer service. Hopefully I can still edit this OP when reliable parts hit the market.

I thought some of you might find these interesting. I searched and didn't find them on the site yet. Please add information on any other options you've found. I'm not too interested in getting them but I think it's nice to see the aftermarket parts for the MK3 picking up the pace.

Price is for a pair minus the bulbs and ballasts. ($607 + $199 shipping)

Ebay page...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121050822947&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1123

Video of headlamps in action...
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/38kkVvzws_k/

Edit: added daylight picture. This one VVV.

See less See more
#39 ·
I assume you mean plug and play. Yes there is one big plug on the stock light that powers everything. Just unplug the wire plug it into the new housing and it lights up. The halo and brow act as the parking lights so when you unlock you car at night the halo and brow light up. I guess you could get a h7 halogen and run it in the projectors everything would be plug and play. The only mod needed is if you run hids in the low beam spot. Then you have to run the harness relays resistors ballasts and bulbs.

See the oval plug just to the right of my hand. That's where you plug the factory plug into.

Blinker on

#53 ·
The $700 ones on the first page of this thread. It states it can be setup with Halogen or HID. I thought the projector was designed for one or the other. Not both. So when they say it can utilize either or. Does this mean the projectors are really just the cheaper halogen projector and if you want HID you have to use those Ebay re-based bulbs?

AFAIK, A true HID projector is designed to focus the light output from a HID bulb with a razor sharp cutoff. If its projector is designed for a shorter halogen bulb the focus would be off and vice versa.

Just wondering for future reference in case these ever come down to a reasonable price.

#56 ·
If I had to guess the reason why it says it's compatible with halogen bulbs and HIDs is probably marketing. I can't imagine they would make a projector headlight and put it into production with it having no cutoff at all...

I guess we won't know until someone buys come... Maybe group by?
I'd be in.

#58 ·
You could get close to that with a group buy. i paid 560 for mine and the st look a like is the same price shipped. If you pay with papal they tack on fees bringing mine up to 580. I think the sonic crew is working on a group buy.

#61 ·
#63 ·
If those are replicas I'd still be very weary after what happened with the first set with the halos to make it into the country. Meattooth bought a set as indicated earlier, but they fried the circuit boards and rather than return them the seller is trying to make him replace the circuit boards instead as it costs them less money.

If you get a good set you might be ok, but if there is any trouble then you're pretty much on your own.

I'd rather have a direct set of ST3 or Focus Electric housings that shouldn't melt down as soon as they are plugged into the car, but they are quite expensive new, and hard to find used.

#65 ·
If I could do it over I would find an oem set of lights and retofit them with morimoto minis and paint the insides black. Either way you're probably going to have to open up a headlight because the chinese headlights are crap and their customer service is teribble. I filed a paypal dispute for a refund and they denied it. They are sending a new circuit board which will have to be installed with the headlight opened. Plug and play my ass!

#68 ·
Im in the dispute mode now where we have communication through paypal. If I escalate it to claims paypal steps in and rules on the dispute. Going through the process now so when I get their circuit and have to open the headlight to fix it.......it will be escalated then.

#74 ·
I hate to say it, but no they didn't do any real qc checking before shipping, after all they don't have to for the Chinese domestic market, and therefore that's in their minds good enough for the world if they aren't producing something on contract for a global manufacturer who actually keeps tabs on production they try to do things as cheaply as possible while selling for a lot of profit.

Its unfortunate that you had to be the guinea pig for them though.

#76 ·
Hi, perhaps I can add a small point to some of this debate, and I will leave it up to you guys to decide what you do with it. Many of us in the UK have the HID's as a standard fit in their Titanium X's but we are experiencing issues with the LED's flashing whilst they are being used as the sidelights. There also has been some minor reports of the wiring burning out to the headlamps causing the whole unit, bulbs and associated wiring having to be replaced...

#80 ·
Which style?

Hi, perhaps I can add a small point to some of this debate, and I will leave it up to you guys to decide what you do with it. Many of us in the UK have the HID's as a standard fit in their Titanium X's but we are experiencing issues with the LED's flashing whilst they are being used as the sidelights. There also has been some minor reports of the wiring burning out to the headlamps causing the whole unit, bulbs and associated wiring having to be replaced...
Interesting. I don't really care for the LEDs. I wonder if just snipping the wire that powers them would alleviate any of the electrical issues.

#83 ·
I paid 580 shipped and yes they look the same.
The newest communication told me when I get the new circuit board to take it to the professional install shop!?!?!?! So Im going to wait to get the part them escalate it to a claim and let paypal rule on it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.