Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Suspension Upgrade

18K views 82 replies 34 participants last post by  Phordman 
#1 ·
So, for a long time I've been thinking about a suspension upgrade and I already have the Steeda Rear Sway Bar so my next step would be either springs (steeda probably) or coil-overs. Doing research for coilovers I discovered there's ST ones, KW ones (3 versions), KSport and H&R ones.

I had originally decided I'd go with KSport since they are on amazon and I have gift cards and such but I also realized the KW ones are on amazon as well. Honestly I'm not sure which I should go with now. I basically want the best performance I can get from them.

Those who have installed coilovers, what do you guys recommend?

Also, should I consider springs instead? What are the benefits of either?

Lastly, if I were to go with coilovers (or I guess springs) how should my alignment setup be? I mean things like toe and camber for a good street performance setup.

#63 ·
Thank u, I think I've read every mk3 sportline thread out there but yours was one of my favorite.. I finally bought my springs from tirerack (cheap as hell) and in a course of 24 hours I've decided I'm going about it the right way. Tough pill to swallow but I'm saving my pennies for a set of Koni dampers to pair up with my sportline.

#62 ·
I thought this would be a good place to post my questions as there seems to be a lot of people in the know here. I have a 2012 Ti and have been thinking about lowering. I don't want to go TOOOO far as I live in a heavy snow area and don't care to help the city by plowing the roads. I was looking at the Ford Racing Springs as they are only a .3 - .6" drop. Anyone have any reviews on these springs ??

#64 ·
I've got Vogtland's on my car. Got them because they were great springs on my old 325es; they've been on that car with cheapo KYBs for the better part of three years on crappy Tucson roads, struts are still fine (sometimes aftermarket springs don't like stock struts - H&Rs on my old 320i blew out new KYBs...). I was told by the Vogtland rep at the time I was looking that their springs are engineered to work with stock struts - no reason not to disbelieve them!

Ride on the Vogtlands is nice. A bit firm on higher speed dips, but not uncomfortable (this from an old guy - you young fellas would have no problem...).

I'd like to go to coil overs next, just need the right opportunity to get them.

Pics are at the time of install, and of the front don't show that I've taken out the spring pads, got it just a weensy bit lower. Almost perfect now.

#66 ·
I have Eibach Pro-Kit installed, lowered the car slightly (measured less than 1 inch).

I've also been visually comparing it to other Mk3s I see and I can tell that mine is lower than those with 17" wheels but those with 16 and 15" wheels seem to be just as low.. might just be an illusion?

Ride is fine, seems slightly 'choppier' but not uncomfortable. It's still pretty soft on the freeways and I'd like to purchase the Bilstein Sport (B8) dampers to replace the stockers.. Except I've read that the Bilstein sports are quite "harsh"

#67 ·
I have Eibach Pro-Kit installed, lowered the car slightly (measured less than 1 inch).

I've also been visually comparing it to other Mk3s I see and I can tell that mine is lower than those with 17" wheels but those with 16 and 15" wheels seem to be just as low.. might just be an illusion?

Ride is fine, seems slightly 'choppier' but not uncomfortable. It's still pretty soft on the freeways and I'd like to purchase the Bilstein Sport (B8) dampers to replace the stockers.. Except I've read that the Bilstein sports are quite "harsh"
Did they make a significant improvement in handling?

Just starting to research all the options since I've decided to keep the Focus but want to improve the handling now. Will also get summer tires and Steeda RSB. Leaning towards Bridgestone RE760s at the moment.

#74 ·
Alright I haven't used the forums too much so I am probably not writing in the correct section but im looking to purchase coilovers and don't know which ones to buy. Im looking to have barely any wheel gap on the front and back, which coilover systems should I purchase?

-KSport Kontrol Pro Coilovers
-D2 Racing Coilovers
or any other suggestions

#75 ·
I have had the sportlines on the car for over a year now. I am a huge fan, always have been on other cars as well. This picture doesnt do it much justice, as it looks better in person, but you get the idea.

#79 ·
I would recommend installing the ST struts with new springs. I can't see there being an issue installing any MK3 lowering springs on the stock 14' struts, but I can't say for sure as I haven't seen them.

I am planning on installing the ST struts and Ti Handling package rear shocks when I install springs in my car, just need to decide on what springs (Steeda or Eibach Pro's)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.