Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Have you ever noticed this when you are low on fuel??

3K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  dpando1 
#1 ·
The other day I was driving around going to school and what was bothering me the most was how sluggish I thought my car felt. It required ample pressure on the break to change lanes and to get down the road before lights went red [thumb]haha
It felt as if I was headed straight into 60mph winds or something!

Then I fill my tank and the problem is gone!! So My only conclusion is that when the tank is low your car goes into gas sippin mode or something...anyone else notice this?

btw this is my first post here on ffanatics...and I just wanna say you guys rock[cheers]

#4 ·
OH SORRY! Ha I was writing this quickly before I did work outside! I meant gas and that is a great point hahaha but yeah I meant gas...

and you know what that could very well be true the clogging of fuel flow....how would I be able to diagnose such a thing and know forsure?

It was doing this just before the gas light came on

#7 ·
Since SOMEONE is gonna say it, I guess I'll be that person. Don't run your tank that low, that's how you avoid it. In-tank fuel pumps are cooled by the liquid fuel that they are submerged in. Once you get that low, the potential to overheat the pump and decrease it's life is exponential. And the focus tank is not the most fun tank to drop.

#9 ·
I totally agree with you on that....and I should but is it possible for me to do so, not really. Unfortunately its very expensive to go to school nowadays. and due to how little classes are offered at any one school in my area I need I am driving everywhere. So i am forced to stretch my tank frequently...

thanks for that info though. So is that what is causing the sluggishness at around lets say 50-60 miles of tank left?

#12 ·
you may want to try a bottle of seafoam (lol why am I suggesting this) next time you're ready to fill up.

I understand school isn't cheap, I've been paying out of pocket until this year. I don't have a job right now either and live 120 miles from home. I drive a car that gets 16mpg average.

What is probably happening is as mentioned. There's crap buildup at the bottom of your tank. Why it happens to you and not the other guy depends purely on the contaminants within the fuel at each station.

edit: might I add, however, the benefit of keeping it at least half full vs a nice several-hundred-dollar bill to replace the pump?

#13 ·
you may want to try a bottle of seafoam (lol why am I suggesting this) next time you're ready to fill up.

I understand school isn't cheap, I've been paying out of pocket until this year. I don't have a job right now either and live 120 miles from home. I drive a car that gets 16mpg average.

What is probably happening is as mentioned. There's crap buildup at the bottom of your tank. Why it happens to you and not the other guy depends purely on the contaminants within the fuel at each station.
Thanks...really yeah its tough and i feel you on that fuel economy! Had a 1991 f-150 and oh man i don't know what the outlook on gasoline was back than but from that freakin truck they must have been swimming in it.

so seafoam? Ill check that out. it goes directly into the fuel tank?

#14 ·
yes but look it up or allow me to look it up first because I don't remember if it does eliminate contaminants or not. I'd rather you not waste the $10 on it if it will do nothing.

#15 ·
I have a little over 10,000 city miles on this car. because it's direct injection I am sure that it could use this ATLEAST for cleaning the intake valves and injectors...But yeah any extra information would help.. I am on there site right now...I definitely want to get to the bottom of this

thanks for everything btw

#16 ·
So was I lol. I've used it before but I was looking for something specific. I'm gonna grab some now actually since my injectors could use it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.