Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Airbox cover

15K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  2012sel 
#1 ·
Saw a thread a while back about taking off the air box cover to give the car a more throatier sound. I decided to try it today and can't believe the difference. Before I start driving around town with the cover off, what are the disadvantages to this? I do not want to deal with any problems because I decided to take off a piece of plastic.
Thanks![cheers]

#2 ·
Besides the risk of either inducting more dirt into the maf through the air filter, it could also vibrate loose/ out if its not securely held in place.

There is a slot in the lower air box where the filter sits to contain it between the MAF and the filter housing while closed, but the seal is less effective when the lid is removed as that takes away half the seal. The aftermarket air intake systems tend to clamp the filter onto the MAF for this reason (that they don't have any other attachment feature/ retention feature for the filter).

So the major risks are of engine damage, the chance of this happening is hard to predict since I haven't tried running with the lid off.

#3 ·
I think it will suck hot air from the engine compartment too.

I'm not sure of the consequences but from what I've read, cold air is better.

#5 ·
Be safe... Get a K&N or Green Filter "drop in" if you're going to run around lidless... They'll prevent a number of issues and are cheap insurance.

#6 ·
What I did was I bought a new air box cover for $6.00 from the dealer. I put a K&N drop in filter and bored a 3 inch hole in the front drivers side of the cover. It faces front and looks like there is air flow where the hood, fender & grill meet. I put 2" foam on the top that seals off heat from the engine. It sounds good and lets in extra cool air without totally exposing the filter. If I have a smog test or dealer visit I just put the original cover on.

#12 ·
Anybody have the part number for the air box cover?

#10 ·
The funny thing is that COBB came out with an initial observation stating the airbox was not restrictive on the ST at all. This leads me to assume that a less restrictive filter will work just as well as the complete CAI, SRI. I cant wait to see how much the FORD's new snorkel well be.

#11 ·
did this on my 12 and drove it for a year with NO issues, heavy rain snow whatever. No dirtier oil, no check engine lights, no hotter engine temps, i mean its totally safe. any changes in incoming air are adjusted electronically...its 2012 for gods sake.

dont waste money on an aftermarket filter when the OEM one is so nice. I loved the sound, passengers hated it unless they were gear heads

Let me repeat myself, TOTALLY SAFE

#14 ·
Thanks a lot. You must get dealer pricing or something. They show up as $12.82 when I looked them up just now.

#16 ·
That would be great to have an example and another opinion of how it works out. Thanks in advance for taking the time!

#17 ·
Here is a link to the pictures. I couldn't add them on here for some reason. http://www.flickr.com/photos/70203431@N05/
I am not sure yet how I feel about the rubber/foam weather/heat proofing. The sound is the exact same as if the lid was off, but it a little bit quieter (barely). The hole I drilled in the front is 2.5 inches. The weather proofing was $4 at Lowes and comes in a 10ft roll and has adhesive on the one side.

#18 ·
Based on your feedback I think I'll start small and gradually enlarge the hole until I like what I here. Just a hint of throttle would be just fine for me.

I'll try to refine the heat blocking foam. If I come up with something I think might be better, I'll post details.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.