Focus Fanatics Forum banner

400 miles per tank club?

22K views 162 replies 78 participants last post by  raptor1956 
#1 ·
Just got home from a 600 mile each way trip and saw what felt like a pretty interesting feat in my car anyway. 407 miles on one tank averaging 65-70 mph the whole tank and clocking 35.0 mpg on the dash, Fuelly.com calced 34.6.

Only 3k on the clock on the original oil. Ill be changing it for Mobil1 this weekend. Gotta say, I'm pretty pleased!!

Any of the 6 speed versions break 450-500 on one tank??

#2 ·
470.1 miles/11.176 gallons with a car load of people and over night bags at 65 mph avg on the freeway, but including starts and stops in town and to and from the hotel on that trip.

That was 42.1 mpg give or take. 6 speed DCT almost all highway.

#3 ·
I can definitely tell the 5 speed could use another OD to bring the revs down a bit. I enjoy the close ratio gearing but Pushing nearly 3k at 70mph is approaching Honda lunacy.

#6 · (Edited)

Highway 90%
Toronto - Montreal round trip
Speed 65 mph
Fuel 91

(759 km = 471 miles)

#7 ·
I don't even get 400km to a tank let alone miles... My car gets 370km to a tank, then again, I drive it hard and it is a 4 speed auto soooooo...

#10 ·
Yeah. I see your point. I didn't buy the car for its mileage, that's just a bonus. And, as soon as a freaking tune comes out and I can start adding some real mods, the car will probably see E exclusively. Until then it's probably gonna get a small shot of nitrous so any anti knock properties will help.

#15 ·
Hmm, if the best of it is 28 MPG, then I think something is not right. I would ask you to reset the MPG just before going on a highway trip (25 km would be just enough) and come back with the reading after this. If you can't have more than 28 mpg in this highway trip, there is definetly something fishy.

My MPG since I have the car (-1500 km) is 28.7, but the best I had was 39.5 in a round trip Montréal - Toronto.

#17 ·
For a 70-75 mph speed you should at least see 30-32 mpg if you have a DCT. If you have a MT, it should be a bit lower (due to the higher rev at > 70 mph).

#18 ·
I was in a rush to get to a wedding 2 days ago and I was driving 70-75mph (Yes, after my $263.50 ticket - going 20mph over is rushing for me) on the highway and I glanced down and saw my my miles per gallon go from 37.8 to 37.9mpg!

I love this car.

#19 ·
Our mileage went up after the tranny update. We're still not seeing advertised mileage though. On the freeway at 65mph and cruise control, if I reset everything, we get 34-35 mpg. It's close but not there. My wife averages (according to the computer) 29 or so and drives like a total lightfoot, mostly highways and lots of rural commuting. My dealer says there is nothing wrong, and that is what we should be getting. Still, when I hear other's getting into the 40's for an entire tank, it has me wondering. Maybe it's our gas formulation? IDK.

#20 ·
Hills and higher highway speeds make just as much impact as rabbit starts, unfortunately. You can train yourself to drive smoothly and maximize your input to mileage, but it can't fix everything unless you're willing to impede traffic. I am not.

Driving from Houston, through rural Texas, and all then way across Arkansas, I saw my average drop from 35mpg across 100~ miles of Texas freeway at 70mph down to 31mpg at the same speeds on the rural highways, just because of geographical reasons. The long hills of the Texarkana area with long term use of cruise control did not fare well at all.

#25 ·
It would likely need to be closer to 55-60 mph avg to get 40.92 mpg out of a 5MT, but I'm not sure.

I know my old 5mt with similar gearing would do 45 mpg at 55, and 40 mpg at about 60 mph but it was also a lighter vehicle.

#29 ·
I got over 400 miles to a tank a few times with my 5spd.

428 miles, 12.395 gal @ 34.53 mpg
415 miles, 11.501 gal @ 36.08 mpg
414 miles, 10.944 gal @ 37.83 mpg
414 miles, 11.983 gal @ 34.55 mpg

Also had a few more within 10 miles of breaking 400 per tank.

#31 ·
I managed 509 miles on one tank. Actually, the odo indicated 502 miles but was under reporting mileage by 1.4% so the actual mileage was 509 miles.

My lifetime average after over 14,500 miles is 37.4mpg and the last tank, driving from Bryce Canyon to Salt Lake City with some additional mountain driving I got 44.1mpg on a tank that was 416 miles -- needed 9.53 gallons for fillup.

So, maybe I need to start a 500 mile club...

Brian

#33 ·
I've only gone 500 miles once but have done high four hundreds numerous times.

It's feasible that someone could actually hit 600 miles, but they'd need to cruise at 40mph for the whole tank...

Brian

#34 ·
Yeah, speed is the key for high mileage numbers... I routinely get 750-790km per tank (493 miles), when driving on longer highway trips, BUT, I do not use cruise control and try not to go over 100km/hr (60mph)... and take advantage of larger hills and "coast" down them as well... not quite "hyper miling", but, it does seem to help the mileage numbers. If I were to average closer to 90km/hr, I know I could easily break 850km (531 miles) on a tank. Or, 49mpg (Imperial)

#36 ·
69 is way too high, try 35 mph in 6th gear for peak efficiency, although you really won't be getting anywhere in a hurry. 65 in 6th gear is right around 2400 rpm or so vs close to 2600 at 70 mph, ergo even going just 5 mph slower would be more efficient, but take a bit longer.

#39 ·
I seem to be able to squeeze mpg out of vehicles. I used to get low 30s out of our '87 Mustang GT with an automatic and 3:27 gears, and 14 out of my '10 F150 SCREW with a 5.4 3:55 rear towing 10,400 lbs. Yes I know that's the wrong gear ratio for that weight but that can be our secret.

#40 ·
The highest I've seen at 70 was nearer to the 37-39 mpg mark (the 39 mpg was either a short tank or the next one was less efficient and less efficient than the tank before and after the 39 mpg tank. That's realistically within the range I expect anyone to see with this car. Anyone who claims to get 42+ at 69 mph sounds like its not possible to me based on my personal experience with the car as well as the road speed vs mpg curves both by popular mechanics as well as by user kam327.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.