Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Considering My Next Car

7K views 55 replies 29 participants last post by  GhiaFan 
#1 · (Edited)
I've owned my 2012 Focus SE for about 1 1/2 years now, and I've got 30,000 miles on it already. My Focus is great, and I have no significant complaints about. I'm getting high mileage, commuting comfort, and a decent amount of pep for a $17,000 car. I was thinking about what I may buy next when the time comes, and thought it would be interesting to keep track of my list of contenders here (and update them over time).

I recognize the cars on this list aren't all "apples-to-apples," but they happen to be the cars that have my attention at the moment. Major upsides (green) and downsides (red) are highlighted. Let me know if you've got others you think should be here, or problems with any of my picks.

My current car:

Ford Focus SE, 5 speed MT, FWD, 160hp / 146ft-lb, 36 MPG highway, 446 mile fuel range, $17K

Contenders in order of most to least likely:

1. Ford Focus ST, 6 speed MT, FWD, 252hp / 270ft-lb, 32 MPG highway, 387 mile fuel range, $26K
Comment: Best bang for your buck. Fun car, but also works as a daily driver.

2. Volkswagen Golf TDI, 6 speed MT, FWD, 140hp / 236ft-lb, 42 MPG highway, 609 mile fuel range, $25K
Comment: Could commute for nearly 2 weeks between fill-ups.

3. Scion FR-S, 6 speed MT, RWD, 200hp / 151ft-lb, 30 MPG highway, 396 mile fuel range, $24K
Comment: Maybe the most fun car here, but not a great daily driver--especially in winter. Under-juiced engine for the carʼs styling.

4. BMW 128i, 6 speed MT, RWD, 230hp / 200ft-lb, RWD, 28 MPG highway, 392 mile fuel range, $32K
Comment: Maybe the most refined car here, but you pay for it. Poor fuel economy and RWD is rough in the winter.

5. Cadillac ATS, 6 speed MT, RWD, 272hp / 260ft-lb, 30 MPG highway, 480 mile fuel range, $34K
Comment: May be a bit too big for me. RWD poses winter driving challenges. Expensive, but reportedly a great drive.

6. Hyundai Genesis 2.0T R-Spec, 6 speed MT, RWD, 274hp / 275ft-lb, 30 MPG highway, 516 mile fuel range, $27K
Comment: Of course the RWD...also tempting to jump to the 3.8 liter V6 for a couple thousand dollars more. Not a fan of the front exposed bumper.

7. Subaru WRX, 5 speed MT, AWD, 265hp / 244ft-lb, 25 MPG highway, 422 mile fuel range, $27K
Comment: Ugly, but due for an update, which may make it better. The AWD is a huge bonus in the winter.

8. MazdaSpeed3, 6 speed MT, FWD, 263hp / 1280ft-lb, 25 MPG highway, 397 mile fuel range, $24K
Comment: See dragonpalm's experience with this car--not a great review.

See less See more
#3 ·
Out of those I'd narrow it down to the ST, wrx, and tdi. The Frs/brz must be a hoot to drive but it doesnt seem practical. Based on your needs I'd probably go wrx, but the ST will net you better mpg...probably

#4 ·
Mazda Speed3?

6 speed MT, FWD, 263hp / 280ft-lb, 25 MPG highway, $24K
0-60 5.2 sec

Comments: Standard dual-zone automatic climate control, Bluetooth® hands-free phone and audio capability† and 265-watt Bose® audio system with 10 speakers. Available 5.8" color touchscreen display with navigation system, Pandora audio, HD Radio, and SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio with free 4-month subscription**

#9 ·
Former 2011 Speed3 w tech pkg owner here.
Downsides: 18/25 MPG (real world combined is less than 20 MPG if you drive it aggressively, like you will). Has a difficult (and noisy) manual transmission and clutch that seemed to resist being moved quickly. Bad stock motor mounts that add to the poor launching and shifting. Rough daily driver (loud at highway speeds, stiff over road bumps, engine shakes noticeably with AC on, rattles).
It's still a fun car, but you get what you pay for. It's definitely a tuner as you will want to modify the car asap. Just my opinion. Drive one and find out for yourself. Go Ford ST!

#5 ·
Consider which of those cars you mentioned above require premium fuel. I know the ST doesn't need it but runs optimally on higher octane, that can affect your operating costs yearly on whichever you choose.

Now, with that said, Your list is one that I'd say is after my own heart. lol. I LOVE the styling, power, MPG of the ST but I've had a lot of bad experiences already with my 2012 Ti. Its been in the shop for damn near every TSB Ford has and this is the first time I've been back to owning a Ford in a lot of years. Previous vehicles were imports. So it scares me to start over again with another FORD and have to deal with those possible quality issues again. I would personally seriously consider the VW TDI. I have a friend who has one and the fit and finish, inside and out is top notch.

#6 ·
VW's have horrendous reliability issues especially with electrical problems. I know a few friends with recent model passats and jettas and they have all been in the shop for electrical issues which have not been resolved after having multiple switches and relays replaced. VWs are known for this.

#7 ·
I'm partial to Subis and I'd opt to go with the WRX STI if you're going over the $30k mark;I love mine especially the ability to adjust the bias front to rear of the AWD plus just a stage 1 reflash through the Accessport will net you a 30hp bump for cheap.

#8 ·
BMW's are cute, but consider the range of the car. 1 series is your entry level BMW. 7 Series is the top of the line, If i were to buy a BMW i would wait till i could afford a 5 series or higher. the 3 series have notorious electrical issues. so with that what the heck is wrong with teh 1 series to make a cheaper model. what did they cut out or reduce to lower the costs? If i were you i would basically equate the 1 series BMW to the Chevy Aveo. Its cute, it has the Badge, but i would not want it sitting in my driveway. especially with the costs of repairs on what are considered higher class imports.

#24 ·
That's rough comparing a 128i to an Aveo. Reviews I've read about the 1-series suggest it is what the 3-series used to be, and what the 3-series should be now--a lighter version of the pigged out 3. I think it's cheaper because it's just physically less car; but I'm sure you're right about cost of ownership being higher than the other cars.

#10 ·
I had a very similar list I went thru last week. Eliminated the GTI for maintenance expenses, if you consider the WRX STI as mentioned above be prepared to see a sticker price of over $40k. Can't really compare that car to a ST for mutliple reasons esp being awd. The Speed 3 was ok, but had terrible torque steer issues. Being able to negotiate a ST2 with nav and moonroof to the price of a base WRX sealed the deal for me. Before you dis the ST for issues you've had with your previous Focus, go drive one, you will be surprised how much tighter it handles and performs, coming from a '12 ti owner. (Now the wife's ride). Good luck with your decision!.

#13 ·
Former 2011 Speed3 w tech pkg owner here.
Good insight from a former MS3 owner, thanks!

Like the OP, I'm starting to consider my next-car purchase. Current plan is to buy a new Focus ST in a few years and keep the SVT as a winter car, but I'm really tempted to get a 07-09 MS3 for a year round DD. It would save a hell of a lot of money over the ST, and I have always had a thing for the Gen-1 MS3. Had a chance to drive the new ST and came away as impressed as I thought I would be, but haven't driven an MS3 yet.

To the OP, St. Louis doesn't get a whole lot of snow in winter does it? I bet a RWD car with a good set of winters, or possibly even all-seasons, may get you by. Also worth noting is that the Focus (and other hatchbacks) obviously offer more interior and cargo space, and while that may not be a necessity in a daily manner, having the ability to occasionally haul a large amount or awkwardly-shaped crap is very valuable. That said, good list! I'd take any one of those cars, (if they were given to me!)

#16 ·
... but I'm really tempted to get a 07-09 MS3 for a year round DD. It would save a hell of a lot of money over the ST, and I have always had a thing for the Gen-1 MS3. Had a chance to drive the new ST and came away as impressed as I thought I would be, but haven't driven an MS3 yet.
I have also had a chance to drive the new ST. In many ways, it's very different from the gen1 MS3. It's quieter, softer, and generally more pleasant, with equal power. If you liked it, you will be surprised by a gen1 MS3 because it will be harsh, loud, and more raw. On the plus side, it is a little faster than the gen2 MS3 because of more available torque in gears 1-3 (gen2 has nannies that limit torque to please the torque steer complainers). You will save money because the MS3 is cheaper, but keep in mind it requires premium gas and the MPG is in the teens and low twenties. Also, a gen1 will have a high probability of being modified by the previous owner. Drive one and decide on your own!

#27 ·
I actually commented to the Ford salesman last time I was in for an oil change that it's hard to believe the new Fusion was only $22,000 (the one on their lot anyway). Seems like a lot of car for that price. It just seems a bit too much like a family car for my needs at the moment.

#17 ·
When I bought my car, I was kind of hoping my next car purchase wouldn't be until somewhere around 2020...

#19 ·
I been on the mazda forums for a couple months and joined in local chapter of the midwest mazda club. I havnt been to any of the meets yet due to work but I have heard nothing but good things about the MS3. Eveyone who has one says the ST don't stand a chance against one. I myself have fallen in love with the MS6 it's awd too. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a car that is raw, and loud. I think those make the best drivers cars. I would want a car that makes me need to drive and pay attention to what I'm doing. Not one I can just get in and go. I depends ones taste, don't get me wrong u have heard very good things about the ST. I just like to put mazda out there cause so many people over look it as a company they don't see the potental and the build qu;ity these cars have. After buying my first mazda a 2 months ago I don't know why anyone would want to own anything else. I riden and/ or drove in a crap load of new and used cars both higher and lower ends. Honda, nissian, ford, chevy, dodge, hyundi, buick, mercury, lincoln, hummer, saab, many others. I would recommend the mazda to anyone. I see all thses people in the cheap looking, cheaply build, plastic interior GM cars of the '90s and I feel like I rolling in a Bentley next to them. The butt of the story give mazda a try and don't go after some ones word, I wish I would have looked into mazda well before I did.

On top of everything else the mazda forums hands down the one of greatest group of people I've ever talked to. No bicker on who's site is better, or your car lloks like shit on those wheel. Its just a bunch of car enthusiest sharing the love for a car company.

Sent from FBI surveillance van 2

#20 ·
I been on the mazda forums for a couple months and joined in local chapter of the midwest mazda club. I havnt been to any of the meets yet due to work but I have heard nothing but good things about the MS3. Eveyone who has one says the ST don't stand a chance against one. I myself have fallen in love with the MS6 it's awd too. I don't think there is anything wrong with having a car that is raw, and loud. I think those make the best drivers cars. I would want a car that makes me need to drive and pay attention to what I'm doing. Not one I can just get in and go. I depends ones taste, don't get me wrong u have heard very good things about the ST. I just like to put mazda out there cause so many people over look it as a company they don't see the potental and the build qu;ity these cars have. After buying my first mazda a 2 months ago I don't know why anyone would want to own anything else. I riden and/ or drove in a crap load of new and used cars both higher and lower ends. Honda, nissian, ford, chevy, dodge, hyundi, buick, mercury, lincoln, hummer, saab, many others. I would recommend the mazda to anyone. I see all thses people in the cheap looking, cheaply build, plastic interior GM cars of the '90s and I feel like I rolling in a Bentley next to them. The butt of the story give mazda a try and don't go after some ones word, I wish I would have looked into mazda well before I did.

On top of everything else the mazda forums hands down the one of greatest group of people I've ever talked to. No bicker on who's site is better, or your car lloks like shit on those wheel. Its just a bunch of car enthusiest sharing the love for a car company.
Just to add, A D-tech is a mzr motor. I looked at the MP3's & The 1st "Speeds"= Mp3 w/ a turbo were the 1st Mazdaspeed's.

#31 ·
Never thought I'd say this but that regal is one hawt looking car, nice to see the brand moved away from boring bland styling.

#32 ·
No the brand didn't move away from it they started useing their sisters brand Holden. For design and drive train. GM alone could have never done that. Holden is the only thing keeping their heads above water. Which is why the LS is used so much, holden also uses it in everything.

Sent from FBI surveillance van 2

#38 ·
I don't think the Verano has anything at all to do with Holden. The Verano chassis is Cruze-based, which did have some engineering work done by GM Korea. Holden is the source of large rear-drive GM chassis, which Buick does not use. Holden is pretty small and isn't capable of keeping GM's head above water.

#35 ·
I'd stay away from the BMW 1-series. They're barely BMWs. Also, if you live in a place that snows stay away from the FR-S/BR-Z. They're extremely light RWD cars with too much HP for the weight. They're still really slow, but they can't get traction. They were literally made as like a borderline-drifter car.

The WRX is awesome for sure, but requires premium gas. The Mazdaspeed3 is great, but looks dumb now. I'd also suggest the Accord Sport. I just picked one up two days ago and *love* it.

#41 ·
So I just looked at the Honda website since you mentioned the Accord. I think of the cars Honda sells, I would consider the Civic Si the most interesting. That said, the Hyundai Genesis would probably make my list before the Civic. My second car was an '89 Civic, which was a great little car. But Honda's styling isn't great for me right now.

#46 ·
I'd consider a Jetta Turbo Hybrid also. With a combined 170hp/184lb-ft and a consumption of 4.6/4.2 L/100 km (51/56 mpg) it is very appealing.

#47 ·
Just saw this a few days ago.

I'm glad Volkswagen is trying something different, but I would be very sceptical of the mileage claims (Mostly because it seems like no car company wants to be honest about the MPG's of their "mileage flagship" cars) and I bet maintenance will eat you alive. More-so than a typical VW!

And let's not even get into it's initial cost.

Again though, I like the concept. Hopefully there is more follow-through on this.

#49 ·
Might check into the hpfp issues on the tdi. Kept me from buying one.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using FF Mobile
I know about it, it is the same that kept me far from VW TDi. But the model they propose is a gasoline engine, so no problems here. Besides, the HPFP problem is due to the low quality of diesel more than anything. Trust me, I looked a lot and read a lot before gaving up on the TDi. The only thing that made me go away from the TDI was the lack of good VW shops in my area.
But I still hope they will find a solution for HPFP and I will get my diesel soon. Or maybe Ford will come up with one of its models from Europe. That would be great !!

#52 ·
Start/Stop tech is awesome.
I've had it on my rental BMWs while in Belgium, and it does help with saving fuel while city driving (even with the manual transmission). Honestly, it is seamless. You will not notice it interfering with your driving habits at all. It is also safe, in the sense that the engine starts up right away as soon as your right foot eases off the brake or the left foot engages the clutch. I'm disappointed it hasn't trickled down to NA yet.

At $1.30-$1.45 per liter of gas (roughly $6-$6.50 USD per gallon), you will appreciate the savings.

Now, for the OP, I don't see why you rate RWD cars as a negative, as I would rate it a plus (and I live in Winterland). Once you take high performance driving education (HPDE)courses, you will learn that RWD cars are safer and more fun for the experienced driver. Unfortunately, most cars, not just FWD cars, are engineered to understeer since most drivers panic easily behind the wheel.

#53 ·
Start/Stop tech is awesome.
I've had it on my rental BMWs while in Belgium, and it does help with saving fuel while city driving (even with the manual transmission). Honestly, it is seamless. You will not notice it interfering with your driving habits at all. It is also safe, in the sense that the engine starts up right away as soon as your right foot eases off the brake or the left foot engages the clutch. I'm disappointed it hasn't trickled down to NA yet.
The reason we don't see more start/stop tech in the US is the EPA (go figure..). Basically, the feature doesn't help EPA MPG ratings, which consumers rely far too heavily on to compare efficiency between cars. Without it being a selling point, manufacturers choose not to implement it.

The problem is that the EPA's current testing methods don't accurately assess the real-world fuel-saving benefits of stop-start technology, which shuts the engine off when the vehicle is stopped. The EPA only has limited idle time built into their fuel use tests, which means that most models equipped with start-stop get absolutely no bump in their official fuel economy ratings. Without any sort of official support, automakers see no boost in CAFE numbers for their start-stop vehicles.
Source: http://green.autoblog.com/2011/05/09/stop-start-epa-test-cycle-mpg-problem/

Personally, I would love to see more cars with start/stop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.