Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Trade-in Value? Looking to trade this week -- Fully loaded Titanium

11K views 76 replies 40 participants last post by  VOLDAR 
#1 ·
So I'm looking to get an Accord Sport this week and wanting to trade in my Focus in the deal. It's a pretty much fully-loaded Titanium minus the Navigation and heated seats (but everything else). KBB says $16k, but I definitely want to get more than that. I have a second set of wheels and tires (winter tires and Sparco Assetto Black wheels), so I'm trying to get $20k total for the trade.

For those who have traded their Focuses in, what have you got for them? Do you think $20k is an acceptable amount? Just wondering what the chances are.

#37 ·
Im jumping to a Toyota Tacoma this week, looking for the right deal. an $8000 hit though is gonna kick me financially.

#38 ·
Congrats on the new Accord! Got to say, it really looks good. I feel a twinge of envy every time someone jumps ship.

I'm going to be jumping as soon as the VW Golf Mk.7 comes out. By then, the massive depreciation will be easier to justify. The Focus is a decent car, but the material/build quality is disappointing and I don't like it well enough to keep it for years and years. I don't think that trading for another Focus (even an ST, or any other Ford for that matter) would make any sense. That would leave one in the same boat concerning the quality and heavy depreciation. While I understand that most cars depreciate a lot, the Focus seems to drop like a stone (due to fleet sales? bad press? perception? overpricing then heavy rebates?).

#39 ·
That's the thing. When I first got the car it seemed pretty solid, but fairly quickly I realized that the build quality and reliability were not nearly what they first appeared. Sounds, creaks, and rattles started within a week. The depreciation of this car is ridiculous...*very* few cars drop 50% in the first year.

Either way, this Accord Sport feels and acts *great*. Some of the interior looks a bit cheaper, but it's solid as a brick. No rattles at all and I don't see them coming in. Everything feels great.

#44 ·
Sell the winter wheels privately, take the hit on the trade.

You won't get 20k. I was lucky to even get 12k for my SE, which was slightly under blue book.

These cars are selling for shekels at the auctions, and there's thousands of them out there. Ford flooded the fleet market and threw too much money on the hood. Welcome to the world of market induced depreciation.

#45 ·
As others have said, you probably won't get KBB's trade-in value unless you sell it privately.

I traded my loaded 2012 SEL with just under 9000 miles on it. KBB was $15.8K, and after many "back-n-forths" with the salesman, they gave me $15.2K.

Good luck with your trade.

#48 ·
My SEL sedan, with sync&mft,dct, rear back up sensors, 17 inch wheels, leather seats, sony sound system, had a sticker price of 24.3k. It now has 9,500 miles on it, and KBB value is $14,398 for excellent condition for TRADE IN. For private sale it is $16,433 in EXCELLENT condition. Realistically I think my car is in "very good" condition which drops the price to $15,933 for private sale, and $14,148 for trade in.

I bought my car on the last day of January of 2012...it lost 8-10k in value in LESS than a year.

#54 ·
Its cheaper for a reason, same as the Fusion SE is cheaper then your previous loaded Focus Titanium. Your Titanium had more features then the Accord Sport & Fusion SE.
You gets what you pays for.
Enjoy your Honda, hope Honda lives up to your expectations and gives you a superior ownership experience.

#56 ·
Hate is a pretty strong word. I think he like me and many others just had enough with Fords don't give a $hit approach to dealing with the issues that several of these cars have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#58 ·
I disagree with the comments saying Ford is taking a do not care attitude. If anything Ford is reaching out directly more then any other manufacturer as far as what I see on other USA specific forums.

I'd blame the dealerships service departments for being the weak link.

Seems to me with Ford bringing to the table updates for MFT, TSB's on the Powershift etc, it is not true to say Ford is doing nothing.

Also appears some blame should be directed at Quality Control at Michigan Assembly Plant for letting some shoddy work to make it out to the public.

#59 ·
No its all on Ford. On the one hand, Ford did scurry to throw together DCT updates and fixes, as well as improving MFT in updates. The cars are under warranty so work is done. And until they figure solid fixes for the cars, dealers really have no way to fix the broken cars, so time is wasted waiting for a solution. With that being said, Ford should be rolling out the red carpet for defective DCT owners and frustrated MFT users. Free rentals while the cars are in the shop, buy back really terrible cases or offer future incentives, I mean there are endless ways to solve the problem and even possibly try to retain the business. As for MFT owners the red carpet treatment would be free maps for life, future cashback on MFT, free accessories, service discounts, I mean SOMETHING. How many people are going to walk away from Ford because of these issues and LOUSY service, despite such big strides in their cars? Its stupid and it further feeds the "Found On the Road Dead" impression so many people have with Ford

Toyota just settled a billion dollar payout to owners (actually most of it is legal expenses associated with) because of complaints that their cars lost value due to the unintended acceleration fiasco (which NASA engineers proved to be bullcrap, mind you). That is extreme and pretty unfair to Toyota, however most car companies dont have anywhere near that kind of respect for their customers, definitely including Ford, and Ford will NEVER build a good reputation unless they practice that kind of respect. Hyundai had to start offering 10 year/100k warranties, and that was ONE of the major factors that brought them up from dogsiht Honda knockoff to serious competition

#60 ·
Dealer does not care if you have second set of wheels, but in the end the dealer will not make a deal unless it benefits them. KBB is pretty much the norm. I the trade in value match what you own. How many miles. If you could lose 2k or more not worth it. Why not trade up to the ST You win and Dealer wins. Good Luck :)

EDIT: Hope your Happy with your new Honda.

#66 ·
I traded in my Focus over a week ago and picked up a 2012 Honda Civic EX. Because I went back to the same dealer that sold me the Focus and got the Honda, they gave me $16k for it on trade in. I bought it from them over 3 months ago for $17250.

My concern with the Focus wasn't with the service but the actual car itself, I had all the known issues with this car. It was at the Ford dealership 4 times in nearly the 3 months I owned it and never ran well. I asked the Ford dealership that was doing all the repairs on the my Focus how much they would give me for the car and they said $11k, yes that's right, $11k and remember, this is in Canadian dollars. If I traded it in with Ford on a new car, they would go up to $12k for trade in. Ford didn't even want their own car back, they didn't want to give me anything for it and they knew of all the issues with it!

#69 ·
So today I finished getting the new ride tinted and just took a few shots with the phone quick. Looks pretty freakin nice, in my opinion:

Still pretty happy that I made the trade. The entire car just feels like it was put together better. The materials don't feel as *nice*, but definitely feel more sturdy and like they'll last. I haven't had a hiccup with the transmission (thank you 6MT) and the infotainment system has worked *beautifully*.

#70 ·
S
Still pretty happy that I made the trade. The entire car just feels like it was put together better. The materials don't feel as *nice*, but definitely feel more sturdy and like they'll last. I haven't had a hiccup with the transmission (thank you 6MT) and the infotainment system has worked *beautifully*.
Does your car have the new HondaLink Infotainment system? It looks pretty cool from what I've read about it, almost similar to MirrorLink.

I built a Mirrorlink like system on a Raspberry Pi controlled by a Lilliput 7" touchscreen and have tested it extensively at home, it get's road tested later this week.

#74 ·
@hotleadsingerguy - Great you changed your Focus for a Honda Acord. Have a great ride !

But, after reading your latest posts, it seems to me that you were wrong in the first place when you bought the Focus. You are almost orgasmic over a MT but you chose a DCT. You love great space in the rear, but you chose the one who it is known to be not that "large". You wanted a mid-size sedan but you bought a compact hatch. I hope next time you buy a car, you'll be more carefull, because if not, you'll end up again losing money. My .02$

#75 ·
Not true. At the time that I bought the Focus I was actually happy to get an automatic because I had a long commute at the time in rush-hour traffic, I was completely fine with the space in Focus (I was even fine moving my seat up a bit for more room), and I wanted a compact hatch.

So you don't really know what I want/like, you're just inferring that the things I like about the Accord are the things I normally look for in cars. This is, by far, the largest car I've ever owned. It's bigger than the Mustang and BMW I've had. I love manual cars, but at the time that I bought the Focus I really wanted an automatic because of the drive.

Either way, my problems didn't stem from those decisions...my problems stemmed from the way Ford handled the issues I had with the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.