Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Found A Perfect Fix For 5 Door Tail Lights!

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Zillon 
#1 ·
Found a good fix for my tail lights! First take out the tail lamp. There are two plastic nuts holding it, one is behind where the small panel is, the other is at the top which I got access through the hole near the trunk light is. Then stand at the corner of the car and gently pull it straight out, since the little prong that clips onto the car near the teardrop of the tail light is at an angle. Might want to place your hands at the bottom of the teardrop while doing so as it needs a good firm pull. Then I cut out one of those foam things that wrap around pipes for your house and fold it in half. Place it near the teardrop part of the tail light about 1.5 inches away from the very tip end and place it there. Might want to tape or glue in place, but I have small hands so I manage to fit it in there without doing so. Then reverse order of dissemble and the edges of the tail light (the teardrop part especially) should no longer be touching right up against the body. For me it actually evenly spaced the whole thing around the edges (bumper, body, and tailgate) and no longer have the squeaks from rubbing. I think it’s better than putting a washer where the prong is, since I’ve tried and it doesn’t clip it back in all the way and or better than backing the prong out of the housing. The foam is enough where it’s pushing it out the length of the teardrop just enough where it’s no longer rubbing, yet wouldn’t bending the tail light, and the prong is firmly pop back in place and clipped on. I also filed the edges a bit with a nail filer so now it’s smooth and no longer rough.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.