Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Key Not Detected

60K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  pgp01 
#1 ·
So I made an appointment for Friday at my local Ford Dealership where I had purchased my S model. lately its been saying on the message center "key not detected" and refusing to start the car with the standard "valet" key. When i told this to the service tech over the phone he told me its cause i have to use the big chipped key to start the car. Oh pardon me, the key ford gave me with the car as a spare key DOESNT WORK ? Its worked since march and all the sudden its not working? No im not satisfied with that answer. So in the shop it goes to check for a faulty key or ignition, etc.

I read this forum enough to know that issues are pretty common.

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2

#2 ·
If you have the chipped key IN YOUR POCKET, the valet key will start the carand it will run.
If you do not have the chipped key on your person, the car will not run.
So perhaps you were carrying the chipped key, and starting the car with the valet key.
Now, you left the chipped key off your person. And the car is doingwhat it always did check for the presence of the chip. not finding it. no start.
Just my 2 cents.
The chip does not have to be at the ignition switch, it just has to be in the area.

#3 ·
My fiance uses the valet key and the chipped key stays with me. So she could be across town, or out of town for that matter. And its worked for months. So it cant be that.

#5 ·
The car should have no problem recognizing the bare bones key, as it came from the factory with it. Its not an aftermarket or reprogrammed dealership key.

#7 ·
Awesome ill make sure they do that. Its under warranty, use it before i lose it right? Lol

#8 ·
So I made an appointment for Friday at my local Ford Dealership where I had purchased my S model. lately its been saying on the message center "key not detected" and refusing to start the car with the standard "valet" key. When i told this to the service tech over the phone he told me its cause i have to use the big chipped key to start the car. Oh pardon me, the key ford gave me with the car as a spare key DOESNT WORK ? Its worked since march and all the sudden its not working? No im not satisfied with that answer. So in the shop it goes to check for a faulty key or ignition, etc.

I read this forum enough to know that issues are pretty common.

Sent from the HO KID network using FF Mobile
Awesome ill make sure they do that. Its under warranty, use it before i lose it right? Lol

Hi Supramk3,

Let me know how things go at the dealership. I'm always happy to jump in whenever I'm needed.

Thanks,
Crystal [8D]

#9 ·
Thanks crystal I will let you know what they say/do.

#10 ·
I now have the same problem. My bare bones key has stopped working. My wife and son use it all the time. I keep the key with the buttons with me. Now I get the "Key Not Detected" message. Has any one come up with the solution to this problem?

#11 ·
yep call your service department and have them replace the key.

let me take a picture of the invoice for mine, so you can get the right TSBs
its a no charge thing under warranty.

#14 ·
So my car wouldnt detect the valet key this morning again. Goes into Lake City Ford on Wednesday morning for a software check amd to see whats wrong.

Fingers crossed its simple.

#18 ·
So my car wouldnt detect the valet key this morning again. Goes into Lake City Ford on Wednesday morning for a software check amd to see whats wrong.

Fingers crossed its simple.

Let us know how things go at the dealership, Supramk3. If you need my assistance, just let me know.

Crystal

#16 ·
I would imagine it looks like a regular PATS key with no buttons at all, only maybe a slightly different shape than the earlier models, also the blank matches our side milled key rather than the usual end cut.

Quite possibly like this shown above, just a basic key with the chip and blade, nothing else.

#17 ·
Dead on suss

#19 ·
The key didnt act up at the dealership and they couldnt reproduce the problem. they found some codes in modules that were old, so they cleared them and when I go in there next time for an oil change they'll look to see if those codes show up.

But for my inconvience and trouble, Lake City Ford gave me a complimentory oil change, car wash and multipoint inspection.. all at no cost. The vibe I got from the team at Lake City Ford, was MANY TIMES better then I ever got at Rokstad Ford.

#20 ·
I drove 3 hours out of state this morning. Drove to my destination, get back in and the car won't turn over with the key five minutes after stopping. Roadside can't jump car off, so it gets towed to dealer. I check back at 3pm and they're still looking at it but can't get it to crank. At 5 today they tell me that it must be the key and I have two options:
1) Purchase a $300 key that they don't have in stock
or
2) Drive 200 miles home in a rental and get my spare key so they can troubleshoot and bring it back in the morning. Would not allow me to mail it to them.
This is a certified preowned with ESP, 45,000 miles. I was further notified by this dealership that if it is the key I will be liable for the rental, tow, and diagnostics and repair as none of this is covered by any warranty.
Reading this thread, it doesn't seem like I'm getting the same service as everyone else and they should be able to attempt a reprogram of the key? I'm taking a day off work tomorrow and headed back up there with my other key, it's a bonafied chipped key with the built in fob. Not a valet key.

I was also taken out to the car, shown some insulation around the battery terminals and accused of tampering with the electrical system.

Great first post, huh?

#21 ·
Well that depends on the warranty. Welcome to the forums!

Those "Extended service plans" often have more holes than swiss cheese. It's probably likely that it's not covered, as the key may be part of the 36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper, and not covered under your ESP at 45k miles. I STILL think that these cars with these chipped keys ought to have a key-code override like some vehicles with RFID keys do. Heck, newer Harley-Davidsons have a neat feature where you hold both turn signal buttons for a few seconds, then use them to enter in a 4 digit PIN. Then you can start the bike without the key. Useful if it fails! (They use an RFID type 'keyless start' system)

Good luck is all I can say to you! $300 for a key is ridiculous. The technology in the key is not expensive at all. My mom works for a doctors office that uses "keys" with a similar technology (for keyless locking/unlocking of doors, they are given to patients who use the attached gym 24/7 for rehab and excercise.) and they cost the company around $12 each (The office charges $15 if you lose it). Now I know they aren't identical, but I have a hard time believing $300 is a reasonable price for a key with a reasonable 30% or so margin for profit.

#29 ·
I know this is an old discussion, however there are no good answers on the internet so I wanted to add one. We just bought a certified 2013 Ford Focus SE and have experienced this problem immediately when we went to dinner then came back and the car won't start. Even in the mornings, the car will not start but then all of a sudden it will. The dash says, "Key not detected" and we are stuck wherever we are. We took it to the dealership who then worked with Ford engineers who finally found the problem and solution. The ignition itself is the culprit. The ignition reads the key fob and the sensor in the ignition is faulty. Ford replaced the ignition and re-programmed the keys and now the car hasn't had any more issues of the sort. If you're having this problem, it's not the smart junction box, it's the ignition. Hope this helps someone.

#30 ·
I believe that is what mine ended up being the second time the key went out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.