Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Stock Rims

4K views 20 replies 13 participants last post by  VH5150 
#1 ·
So I have a 2012 and I'm looking to change to one of the sets that Ford offers for the 2013 year. I have the 16in 5-spoke that are standard on the SE Sport Package and was looking to get the new 17in Silver Machined 10-spoke or the 18in Titanium 5-spoke. My question is this. I know the Titaniums have a reduced turn radius.
How much of an issue would this cause on a non-titanium Focus?
How bad is the road noise when compared to how the 16in rims run?

Also, Does anyone have good pics of an Ingot silver 2013 5-dr with the 17in silver machined rims? All the pics I find on youtube dealer ads or google images are horrible pics.

Ford has the 17in listed at $541 but the 18in listed at $563 not much of a difference considering how much better the 18s look (for me anyways).

I would probably go the craigslist route on whatever i decided. Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
The turning radius limiter is only included with the Handling package. If you do a straight across swap then you won't have the reduced turning. I believe that PowerSurge is the member that put the 18's on his non-handling package car and could not create any problems of rubbing.

As for road noise, it will definitely be worse than the 16's, imho. I had a SEL with 17's before my Ti, and I was really surprised at how much louder the 18's with PS3's were. The tire that you choose will be your main factor in it, but no matter what the reduced sidewall is going to cause noise to be more easily detected.

I am partial to the 18's, fwiw[thumb]

#3 ·
After doing some research the Ti 18s look great but are WAY to much. I was thinking that they would be somewhat comparable to aftermarket options. I was wrong. Its been a long time since I have purchased rims. My choices now would either be Voxx MG3 or Elbrus I05. Both would look great against the silver of the car and the dark tinted windows. Has anyone had any experience with Voxx or Elbrus rims?

#7 ·
They are also a lot less expensive for some unexplained reason, so its hard to tell if they are made from the same castings, or some sort of Ford Racing cataloged knock off that's not made the same way as the original wheels.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I wonder why no one has these in the stock silver. I found the black ones on TireRack when I was looking for a set of aftermarket. I'm not a fan of black rims otherwise those would be a great deal.

#17 ·
Couple questions myself since I'm thinking of swapping my 16" for some 17". So if you buy aftermarket wheels from Tire rack, etc, do the tire pressure sensors swap from the OEM wheel to the aftermarket okay? Won't have to buy new sensors if I go to an aftermarket wheel will I?

Also those that have gone from a 16" to a 17" .... is there really more road noise from the 17"'s?

#21 ·
If you want to reuse your OE sensors, you'll need to order a set of "rebuild kits" for them. Tire Rack has them and they're pretty inexpensive (under $20/set IIRC).

#18 ·
Yes,the sensors swap over fine but I sold my OEM ones with my 16"s and got new ones from Discount with my 17"s and got their on-line price out the door at the store and saved me over $300 from the in-store price.

I actually noticed no more of an increase in road noise or harsher ride going up to the 17" size.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.