Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus Reliability Issues

26K views 69 replies 39 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Hi Ford Fanatics,

I recently had the opportunity to drive the 2012 Ford Focus sedan SEL as a rental car and I was thoroughly surprised! The ride, handling and technology in the car was simply amazing. So amazing that I'm considering purchasing one since my 1992 Camry is nearing the end (or at least I'm at the point where I don't want to put any more money into fixing it).

Any how, for all of you current owners, what is the reliability like? I've been reading online through this forum and reviews that there's a long break-in period with the tranny, and from some of the reviews I've read, sometimes the tranny has a mind of it's own (meaning it stays in a gear too long etc.). Is all of that true?

Thanks for all of your guys' help.

#3 ·
Why are you even here if all you do is trash talk a car you don't have anymore because the one you had gave you a few issues?

Is there such a thing as a perfect car? No, are most of the issues people complain about common, no not really. Is it annoying when the dealer won't tale you seriously and or won't fix things because they say they are not broken, yes. But the same thing is true of every single motor manufacture in one way or another.

#5 ·
Love my Focus! Can count on one hand how many times it's been in for service. In the year+ I've owned this car, which mind you is from the first production run of the first year of a BRAND NEW generation, I haven't had any glaring issues that have made me regret my purchase.

MyFord Touch has it's issues, but that can be avoided entirely, and thus far SYNC owners haven't had much issue aside from features like AppLink (feature that allows control of apps like pandora through your radio rather than on your phone) not being available.

My bottom line? If you drove one and liked it, the new models have all the updates and TSB fixes applied from the factory, so you should be in great shape.

#9 ·
I have a titanium. Bought it in January. it has 16K on it and has been in the shop for the following:
1. Strut issues on 2 occasions
2. door trim moulding.
3. Transmission issues. Just yesterday it went in again for the transmission. I was driving, pulling off from a stop. Got to about 40mph and it just seemed to slip out of gear.

I also purchased a Mazda 3 Skyactiv Hatch for my wife last month. In my opinion, it may not has all the bells and whistles, but it feels way more solid on the road. No squeaks creeaks or rattles.
Do yourself a favor and go drive one.

I do like both cars, but if I could do it again, I would not have been sold on all the tech in the car and probably bought 2 mazdas. The MFT has a mind of its own. All I use it for now, is the bluetooth. I use my phone for everything. Maps, gps, music, calls, etc etc.

#11 ·
The Focus is a fun car. Interior fit and finish is best in class, handling above average, and it's a real looker. MPG is pretty good and the car has plenty of power for everyday commuting.

On the other hand I am not thrilled with MFT or the way Ford is handling it, and the DCT can have a mind of it's own; especially when the weather gets into Summer like temps.

Based on problems reported by others I am also concerned about long-term reliability and the expenses involved in maintaining all this high tech "stuff" once the warranty expires. If I had it to do over again I would have purchased the SE Sport and skipped the MFT/DCT nightmare since that's where most of the problems seem to occur.

Shop the competition, check forums, take test drives, rent cars that interest you like you did with the Focus. Every vehicle has it's pro and cons. I plan on selling mine as soon as the MFT climate control issue is fixed and then I am buying a Subaru.

#12 ·
Ive a '12 sel and at 10k miles not one problem, not with mft nor the dct. The only reason i brought it in for servicing was for an oil change a couple times and for fords dct updates. I didnt get the mft updated as the version 2.11 i have has always and continues to work as advertised with no problems.. All round its been a trouble free and fun car to drive. My mpgs consistently range between 25 or so city to low 40s hwy.

#13 ·
to the op... i work at the plant and will give my hones assessment from assembly experience and experience from my SEL w 5k miles on it.
BAD:
1. The paint finish could use some improvement(orange peel on all colors due to new paint)...
2. MFT issues. I have had nothing major couple resets but nothing that has been too annoying.
3. early builds had some unique issues wheel bearing issues, DCT issues, steering rack issues
some complain of interior panel fit( i notice none of this on mine.
Good:
1. great gas milage(im getting 35MPG at 75MPH w air on with about 90% eway 10& city)
2. nice and quiet...both Engine and road noise
3. good power for a small car
4. sync recognizes about 95% of what I say and what it doesnt is mostly due to incorrect commands.
5. no DCT issues here
6. packed with features
in my honest opinion, this is a good car. there are a ton of features for the price. I am not at all concerned with reliability. thats what warranty is for. would i do it again... YES I would.

#40 ·
I agree with most of this. Later builds will be great. My 5/24/2011 build has had its issues (headliner replaced, MFT issues, DCT issues, etc.) But if you're looking for a solid 2013 vehicle? I say go for the Focus because it seems like all of the issues that I have had have been ironed out.

#15 ·
Keep in mind that a large number of people that have cars with zero problems aren't going to come here and rave about them. On the other hand people with lemons or cars with issues will come here seeking a solution or just to troll.

I just passed 3k miles and she's been great.

#18 ·
Just passed 4K Km's and not a single issue - highly recommend this great car.

#24 ·
The DCT is one of the few facets of the car that doesn't get praised. I've seen a few reviews where the reviewer was okay with it, or even liked it; more with complaints. A lot seems to come down to the software update (last December was important, apparently) and perhaps the way the adaptive learning has occurred.

You can avoid that issue by getting a manual...

#25 ·
I have a job2 SE sport. No issues other than a/c is a bit lackluster on super hot FL days. Just passed 13k. Coming from both previous generations of Focus, the new one is lightyears ahead. Love it.

#30 ·
I think it will probably work fine the with the current trans. besides, what's the weak point that gives it that rating?? I've got a C5 supercharged and the stock clutch, trans, and rear works fine with that, and they aren't rated for the 650+hp that it's seeing now. Finding the weak point is half the fun of the mods.

#31 ·
I've had my SEL since February of this year and I've had zero problems. Once they did a transmission reprogtam it works fine. If I was to go back and rebuy my car, I would buy the automatic again. I honestly believe that most of the complaining you read is by people who haven't had to software update, or just whine bitch and moan when something doesn't work how they think it should.

They're great cars, don't let some bitching turn you off from considering them.

Sent from my HTC-Z710a using Tapatalk 2

#36 ·
I bought a very late model 2012 (August build, one of the last of the 2012's to come off the line) SE Sport Sedan and I am very pleased with it. Nothing wrong with it at all yet and I am approaching 2,000 miles. My fuel economy is increasing with every tankful and it is saving me money to own it. There are some quirks with the way the European features work, some hiccups in the way the DCT operates, and some unusual ways to how the features are split for the packages but it isn't a $30,000-$45,000 luxury sport sedan it is a cheap transportation car.

As far as nobody raving about the DCT, well, I sure adore it. Yes it hiccups once in a while but nothing any worse than if driving a manual trans. In fact it IS a manual trans that someone else is doing the shifting. It is getting me about 2 MPG better than the 5MT would have and you can still shift it if you want. I am just glad it isn't one of those 4-speed slush boxes that shift smoother but sap the power and turn the 'gas pedal' into nothing more than a way to make the 4 cylinder make more noise. The DCT is a wonderful addition and I am proud that it is different.

Most of the issues with shifting and lugging that you see posted here were early builds in the 2012 run. Also there appears to be an oil leak that causes clutch issues so that is something to watch out for.

It is great handling, quiet, and delivers super fuel economy so it is hard to get a car with these qualities for what I paid for my SE Sport...about $18,500. I read the comments about how the $25,000 Mazda 3 is 'more reliable' but does not drive as well and is louder, well, I suppose if someone wants to spend the extra money then go ahead but leave the Focus group and go to the Mazda one.

My family and friends are all interested in a 2012+ Focus now after they see what my little car is delivering on my daily commute in fuel usage. For the money it is a tough car to beat!

#39 ·
Hey guys!

I am, of course, thrilled to hear from those of you who are happy with your vehicles. Those of you who are having issues/concerns, I encourage you to reach out to me via PM (if you haven't already done so) so I can get your cases escalated to your regional Customer Service Managers. I'm happy to see how I can help each of you.

Thanks!
Crystal[wave]

#41 ·
I have an 4/11/2011 build car and, overall, it has been pretty decent. It has been back to the dealer 2 or 3 times, but I think that it's because it's a first-year car.

You should be fine with a 2013 - they really are pretty good cars...but, I would take a 3 SkyActiv for a drive also and then decide from there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.