Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Possibly buying a 2012 Focus in a few days, a few questions...

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  DrRay 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for a new car and have had my eye on the 2012 Focus for quite a while. I've done some research and have found that common complaints revolve around MFT and the automatic transmission. The MFT won't really apply to me given the car I'd be getting wouldn't have it, but the transmission issues do concern me given I'm probably going to get the SEL model.

I test drove one the other day, and didn't explicitly notice any transmission problems, but given it was a relatively short drive and I didn't specifically look for that issue (wasn't aware of the specifics at the time), I can't really pass judgement yet. I'll be test driving more, so I'll be sure to look for it specifically in the future.

For those who have owned the car and have knowledge about this issue, is it a legitimate problem in the sense that it's broken, or is it simply a different transmission system that if driven properly, will act just as well as the normal automatic transmission?

Are most complaints exaggerated, or are they well founded? And if these concerns are legitimate, do they seriously detract from the car such that it's unbearable, or is it just nitpicking and not a major detraction from the vehicle?

I love the styling, the handling and the overall quality of the car, but transmission problems are obviously of concern with any vehicle.

Any insight would be appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
The 5-speed manual in the Focus is great and easy to drive. But if you must have an automatic, you might also consider checking out a Mazda3 Skyactiv. It handles as well or better than a Focus and has a very good 6-speed automatic.

#4 ·
The transmission in the 3 skyactiv is not that good, but it is a very normal planetary automatic transmission with a tiny torque converter and a more aggressive multiplate lock up clutch for the torque converter.

#3 ·
You're going to get a lot of different opinions about the DCT.

Personally, I hated it until the most recent update, but now I find it acceptable, except for the grinding noise. Ford claims a grinding noise (while shifting between first and second) is normal, but it doesn't take a genius to know that a noise like that can only lead to failure. The noise didn't start until around 3000 miles. Before that the DCT was silent.

If you have only driven "regular" automatic transmissions, you may find that the DCT has trouble with city traffic. It has trouble around 40 mph, especially if the person in front of you accelerates to 35-40 and then slows down. In that situation you will hit a dead spot in the DCT as it cannot decide to down-shift properly. Most of us have taken to using Select-Shift mode in the city, which helps, or take control completely and shift the system manually.

IMO, Ford will be able to perfect MFT, but I don't trust the DCT. However, I do love the gas mileage it helps provide.

I drive an SEL with leather. I fell for the styling and the interior, which seemed very nice during the test drive. I would recommend you take a LONG test drive. Make sure the seat feels comfortable, your legs are comfortable, you can find a comfortable rest area for your left arm, etc. It takes about a week to realize that maybe the Focus doesn't quite fit you like you thought it would.

To make my Focus perfect, I would rip out the DCT, install a manual tranny, replace the seats with Ricaros from the ST, and somehow raise the arm rest on the drivers side door an inch and a half.

#6 ·
The automatic in the '12 isn't nearly as bad as people make it out to be. I bought my SEL is Feb of this year and at first the transmission was odd, but after I had the dealer preform a recall software update for it, it runs totally fine. I'm pretty convinced that most people that complain about it have not had that software update. If I was to buy another Focus, I would buy the automatic again.

Just make sure that when you buy it have the dealer check to make sure its got the latest update. Don't let what people cry and cry about discourage you from buying the car, they are fantastic little cars.

#8 ·
It's reasonable to have questions aboutnthe DCT. At its best, it is a wonderful device, being smoother, faster more engaging and mor economical than a convetional automatic. They can have quirks though, and much of what you read here is a hangover from the early days of production when they had a LOT of quirks.

Ford has made progress and I suspect then vast
majority of owners are happy with it. Much of what Ford has done is on the software side, so the good news is that updates are fast, easy and non-invasive.

My suggestion is to rent one for a weekend. Drive it in as many conditions as you can, be gentle, be aggressive, try to "surprise" it, etc. Even when operating precisely as designed it is different than a regular automatic. Just make sure it suits you.

#14 ·
It's reasonable to have questions aboutnthe DCT. At its best, it is a wonderful device, being smoother, faster more engaging and mor economical than a convetional automatic. They can have quirks though, and much of what you read here is a hangover from the early days of production when they had a LOT of quirks.

Ford has made progress and I suspect then vast
majority of owners are happy with it. Much of what Ford has done is on the software side, so the good news is that updates are fast, easy and non-invasive.

My suggestion is to rent one for a weekend. Drive it in as many conditions as you can, be gentle, be aggressive, try to "surprise" it, etc. Even when operating precisely as designed it is different than a regular automatic. Just make sure it suits you.
on a recent trip out of town i rented a focus hatchback at seatac. by the time i got to tacoma i was impressed! the car was quiet, had plenty of room and power and was quite the looker.

i took a couple of pictures with my cellphone and sent them to my wife. i kept the focus for three days and then i drove a cadillac STS for the next three weeks and drove it home 900 miles.

about three weeks later i sold the caddie, test drove a honda fit and and hour later i drove off the lot with my 2012 focus SEL. my car has only one issue: anything plugged into usb -- ipod, thumbdrive -- occasionally skips.

the only way i'd drive a manual transmission again is if the car is underpowered but then again i would never buy an underpowered car. i have zero issues with the tranny.

#9 ·
I love my focus and my DCT, yea, sometimes I get a funky shift, rarely, sometimes 1st to 2nd makes a VERY quiet "grind" (more like the usual sound of gears engaging" but it's solid and I reccomend this car

#15 ·
Hi from Eugene! I've had my car since June and I'm approaching 3k miles. The car isn't perfect (are there any) but I've had ZERO mechanical issues with it, not one single event or issue with my transmission. In fact I made a video last week to help somebody out in another thread that was having issues. Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxmLC_4Fg1k

I traded an E63 AMG, and I have no regrets. It's been my observation that the vast majority of people with issues have earlier builds. If you're going to buy used you better make damn sure you're not buying somebody's problem car.

Here are a few other threads that may be helpful.

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=292492
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296967
http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=296251

#16 ·
The car is a lease that expired. Whether it had problems I don't know, I'll be listening out for the transmission. However, I can say that it wasn't traded in specifically because of problems it may have had.

What should I look for specifically to ensure the transmission is in good working order?

#17 ·
As I understand it, it really isn't likely an issue of "good working order".

The tranny shifted roughly and would occasionally make a grinding noise on the 1st-2nd shift if the TSB was not accomplished, but supposedly the TSB fixed the issue.

You can get build date and TSB info here:
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleSelection.do

The only thing that would marginally concern my was if it were an early build and the TSB was not accomplished for a long time after the TSB came out - but even then, I don't know that I'd pass on the car if it drove fine for you.

#18 ·
Im one of the lucky ones, with a May '11 build date, that never had any problems w/ the DCT. I've had all the updates and never had any noises, etc, that others are experiencing. I love the crisp shifts and the good mileage, however, as another poster commented, it has trouble deciding when to shift , for example, when slowing for turns then speeding up, passing at certain speeds w/o flooring it and creeping in stop n go traffic. Frankly i'd prefer a nicely done 6 or 8 speed slush box auto but that ain't happening...

#19 ·
Hello all,

I'm currently in the market for a new car and have had my eye on the 2012 Focus for quite a while. I've done some research and have found that common complaints revolve around MFT and the automatic transmission. The MFT won't really apply to me given the car I'd be getting wouldn't have it, but the transmission issues do concern me given I'm probably going to get the SEL model...
Hi PainCakesx!

I hope you take the plunge and join the Ford family! [8D] If you have any questions or concerns I'm happy to assist. Additionally, these fine folks in the forums are a great resource for shared experiences and feedback.

Just a reminder to everyone else on this thread, if you are experiencing any issues with your 2012 Focus, give me a shout via PM and I'll see how I can help.

Thanks!
-Crystal

#20 ·
I have an s model with manual in black. Cost me around $16000 out the door with incentives. I bought it for the fuel economy but it is so much damm fun to drive now I'm thinking about upgrades. I don't say this often about a vehicle, but I really love this car and I look forward to jumping into it so much that sometimes I make excuses to go to the store! Highly recommend!

#21 ·
I have an SEL auto. I read the car reviews and the absolute panning by Consumer Reports of the transmission. they bought and tried one car. They had a problem, but did not try to correct it with Ford.
I rented the car for a week in a trip. I had only perfect shifting.
I bought the SEL, for performance, I switch to select shift.

My advice:
1. Avoid car magazines and advice from others. It's all corrupt and biased.
2. Never buy a car without renting it for a few days.
3. Realize that modern CPU-controlled transmissions need miles to learn.

I owned a Mazda 3. It was rusting and chipping badly in 18 months. Look around in Northern climates, Mazda has had major rust issues with the Protege and 3 series.
The focus handles much better than the 3.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.