Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus is NOT holding value

32K views 298 replies 77 participants last post by  lddavis 
#1 ·
This car seems to keep dropping $1000 every month I check it on KBB.com. My SE Hatchback, had a value of $14,900 last month...now it's down to $13,977 for trade-in value. Two months ago is was in the $15,500 range. My car only has 12,600 miles on it.
I am definitely ditching this thing next summer....it'll still have a full 12,000 miles of factory warranty on it too.
I've never owned a vehicle whose value seems to be tanking this fast.

#2 ·
Sadly I have to agree... my sticker priced $24,000 SEL with 12,000 miles on it is already down to about $15,000 for a trade in...

My $24,500 Mazdaspeed 3 from 2008 got me $16,000 for trade-in after 3 YEARS of ownership... ugh.

#7 ·
It must be a US thing, the Canadian KBB values are pretty good, at least I thought they were respectable and better than the competition anyway. Besides, if you purchase a car solely based on resale, you're never going to be happy with your purchase....

#3 ·
If that is the reason you bought it.. to be able to sell it for a lot.. You were crazy to start with.
Ford has NEVER had a good resale value except the high performance models.

Secondly, You ALREADY lost the value. So you're going to shoot yourself in the foot and sell it just because theoretically it will be worth even less?
Dude, You ALREADY lost that money, selling it just puts salt into your wound.
And yes [rofl]

#8 ·
Well sure it's an investment... but at the end of the line when you decide to trade up or sell to get a newer vehicle, it's nice to know the car holds it's value well...

As I stated... my Mazdaspeed 3, a car easily outdone by my Focus in fit & finish and especially interior quality, that had been modded to hell and back, still got $16,000 after 3 years and 35,000 miles, AND an accident on record.

My Focus after a year is already down to $15,000 for perfect condition on KBB and it had an almost identical sticker price???

I love my car and I'm not going to sell it because of the resale value... but as you said it's an investment, and I like to get the maximum return on my investments at the end. So, sure, the fact that I love my car is great, but the fact that it's also losing value so rapidly... not great.

#4 ·
When I buy a car I buy it for a purpose.

1.) I love it.
2.) I'm going to keep it for the long run.
3.) It's an investment.

When you approach it that way it doesn't matter what it's worth in year to a dealership or private party, because it's yours. Just my .02. Good luck with yours.

#17 ·
#3.) Unless your a dealer, you are "purchasing" a car, not "investing" in one. An investment is a purchase of something such as stocks, bonds, real estate, business, etc. with the real possibility of it increasing in value! A new car certainly wont do that. Your car should start to hold better value as time goes on. These are good and popular cars, and should only radically depreciate the first two years. One of the main devaluation issues with your 1 yr old car is rebates and sales. Our local dealer has several new ones for 18 to 22 thousand.
Make it yours. Do some mods, have fun with it. That adds personal value to your car. This is a great forum for that. These guys and gals seem willing to help any one with anything. To me, that gives the Focus great value, more that just the money loss from the first couple years. Just remember, have fun with it!

#5 ·
Jesse,
I am just a bit confused by your post...you are going to 'ditch' your car because the KBB trade in value is dropping? Were you shopping for a different car and need to recoup the equity or are you just upset that the value is dropping so now you hate the car?

All new vehicles drop significantly in the first 2 years of ownership, especially the 'trade in' value. The rebates on the 2012 and even now on the 2013 don't help much.

If it helps at all to see the potential for a future value take a look at 2000-2005 Focii on craigslist to see how much they are going for compared to when they were new. They are holding steady at about 25-35% of original value and some have close to 200k miles on them.

I do, however, think that the DCT issues are devaluating the Gen III a bit at least here in the USA. In Europe they are very expensive cars!

#9 ·
I love my car too....but the transmission is the deal breaker. I have no confidence in it....and the dealer is telling me the bucking/jumping/slamming into gear is "normal behavior of the dual clutch transmission". It has all the latest updates, and it's just terrible.

If Ford offered a "buyback program", I'd be first in line to drop this thing off and get something that I have confidence in.....and I've never owned anything but a Ford.

#10 ·
If Ford offered a "buyback program", I'd be first in line to drop this thing off and get something that I have confidence in.....and I've never owned anything but a Ford.
Same here on both the sentiment and ownership history. I'm really hoping I can get a lemon law claim to work out for me. It's the difference of about $6000 (from a buyback) between that and trading it in at a very generous price. I can't see any possibility of getting that with all the repairs in the service history though so if I am forced to go the trade-in route I just hope I don't end up with negative equity.

#11 ·
its just a number on a web site, its doesn't mean that if you trade the car in right now that is the maximum and/or minimum value that you would get.

When looking at used car prices on KBB for the last year I found all the numbers to be highly inflated. So I wouldn't put much stock in the numbers, they are just a guide.

#21 ·
Using the Mazda Speed 3 as a comparison to a run-of-the-mill Focus isn't really a fair comparison. To me, that's like saying a Cobra Mustang's value held up so much better than a V6 Camaro. Of course it did!!

I'd suggest comparing your focus' value to that of a similar year Mazda 3, or after it's been out for a year or so, compare the Speed 3 depreciation to that of the Focus ST.

Point being, while I agree it sucks, I don't think the Focus' value is dropping any more significantly than other comparable cars.

#22 ·
You realize there are also LOTS of '12 Focuses on the road, right? Lots of supply, and they are now last year's model too.

#25 ·
I just sold my '01 focus with low mileage and in excellent condition for 6k. I paid 16k for it brand new with every option i could get on it then. I think i did well for a 12 year old car. I kno its not a '12 focus but it does give one an idea of resale value after a decade +

#30 ·
A car is not an investment it is a deppreciable asset. You really cannot go by KBB. it doesnt take into account used car surplus. Also most insurance companies and dealers use NADA to determine valus. I dont buy a car for what it may be worth in the future, i buy it because i like it.

#31 ·
Lol @ people who think the Focus and any other car on sale today for the most part is an investment.

Cars like the LMP1 Ford GT are investments, hell the modern Ford GT is an investment. 69 Boss 302. Ferrari GTO. Such cars that are rare and will fetch massive dollars at auctions either now or in a few decades.

But a Focus?

Hah!

Any car starts dropping value the minute you take it off the lot. My cousins BMW 535 was worth 35k when he got it. He'd be lucky to get 18 for it today.

You take more of a hit on trade ins... You stand to make a few grand more when selling privately.

I have never bought a car thinking about how much I'll be able to sell it in 5 years. That's such an ass backwards way of buying a car.

I buy what's best in value and if it just so happens to have good value retention that's awesome, if not who cares. I'm not buying a car on the Basis that I need to make as much money when I sell it later. I'm buying it to get as much out of it while I own it, I don't care what people will say come selling or trading time. Otherwise I'd never enjoy my car cause I'm too worried about resale value.

#84 ·
Cars like the LMP1 Ford GT are investments, hell the modern Ford GT is an investment. 69 Boss 302. Ferrari GTO. Such cars that are rare and will fetch massive dollars at auctions either now or in a few decades.
And even that's questionable due to inflation. Those "massive dollars" decades from now may (and probably will) have less purchasing power than the "non-massive" dollars today.

#33 ·
Only 45k, and all the tens of thousands in import fees and permits required to keep one here and registered so the DoT doesn't impound it.

I've read of one man who did it, but only because he already had work permits to bring it in through Mexico.

We can dream that they being the RS here this time

#37 ·
Just looked up my 2012, KBB says trade in is $18,485 (which I would probably never get) and private party is $21,240. Picked it up on 8/01/12 and paid $23,299.
Not as bad as I would have thought.
But, I would only lose that difference in value if I get rid of it.
From a financial standpoint cars are an expense. They cost money to own and they decrease in value.

#39 ·
I will be careful with what I say to not get kicked out of here because you got a beef against me.You've been following me around for at least 6 or 7 threads.After what happened on the "Just drove a ST" yesterday,I thought you would have got the hint and back off for a little bit.No ,you popped back on the same thread adding a snappy comment pretending you had nothing to do with it, and then you appear on this one doing the same BS again.

I hope a moderator is reading this, and infractions will be given.I can take some parts of the blame for some early comments I made, but I will not take the fall for everything because one or two guys want me kicked out of here because I'm not in the "Focus family" anymore!
You derailed the thread again. Instead of agreeing or disagreeing with me with respect to the post that I made and furthering the discussion, you decided to start the attacks. Not me.

You are the one who starts this. You could've ignored my comment, expanded upon it, or logically disagreed. But you CHOSE to attack and derail, and that's all I'll say about that.

Moving on....

Just looked up my 2012, KBB says trade in is $18,485 (which I would probably never get) and private party is $21,240. Picked it up on 8/01/12 and paid $23,299.
Not as bad as I would have thought.
But, I would only lose that difference in value if I get rid of it.
From a financial standpoint cars are an expense. They cost money to own and they decrease in value.
Yea the sad things is new cars tend to drop quick anyways, during the winter months their prices drop even more and it sort of rebounds during summer.

The perils of dealing with a new car and wanting to sell it right away, you might stare down significant depreciation.

The only way to really walk away with all your money would be perhaps to have GAP insurance and total your car, not that I recommend such a thing.

And for those curious on how to get a Focus that will hold its value, take a read through this. And scrabble together all the pesos you can find to obtain one.

http://jalopnik.com/5535150/2010-ford-focus-rs-first-us-drive

#38 ·
Wait you bought a new car and want it to hold value??? I remember in high school an economics teacher a saying a new car loses 25% value the minute you drive it off the lot. Also makes sense the the kbb goes down per month, is it not getting older, more on the road and replaced with a new model year?
You can't keep value on a mass produced car. You need to by a limited edition car to have it hold a decent resale value and at that point your would prob pay extra for it over the money you would save buying the regular ole model.

#41 ·
I'm either detecting sarcasm, or you owned a Miata.

#42 ·
The truth about cars...

Cars are NOT an investment..
an investment is an owned asset that either increases in monetary value over time and/or directly generates income.

If you wanted an investment buying a Focus was the worst thing you could have invested your money in to.

You want to buy an "investment" go here..
www.schwab.com or www.barrettjackson.com

Cars like the focus are an EXPENSE.. pure and simple.
and the only reason to buy one is to accomplish the task of getting from point A to point B safely, economically and hopefully reliably.
and to have fun with..

The focus is nothing more than an appliance used to perform a task.. and possibly a toy to have some fun with and enjoy.

All cars lose value (except rare collectables).. nothing you can do to stop it.

If that bothers you next time buy it used at 6 months or a year old instead of brand new off the showroom floor.. let the first owner take the hit... and get a deal.

To call it an investment because it gets better gas mileage than your old paid for car simply means you can't do math..

because once you figure in the cost of full coverage insurance on a new car compared to only keeping liability insurance on the old car, the loan interest, and the initial cost of the car to purchase it... You have spent more money than if you would have just putting gas in the old car.

What is my 2012 Focus S worth? well i have spent about just under 15,000 on it (including modifications)... what could I sell it for right now? Who cares, to me its priceless because I love it and wouldn't sell it for any price.

10 years from now, when its used up most of its life and the "love affair" has ended, It'll probably be sold as scrap metal... or traded off for whatever they'll give me, just to get rid of it so i don't have to take it over the scales.

Buy it because you love it
buy it because you enjoy it.
buy it because its useful and fun.

but don't buy it with the intention of calling it an investment, because it isn't.

#46 ·
Cars are NOT an investment..
an investment is an owned asset that either increases in monetary value over time and/or directly generates income.

If you wanted an investment buying a Focus was the worst thing you could have invested your money in to.

You want to buy an "investment" go here..
www.schwab.com or www.barrettjackson.com

Cars like the focus are an EXPENSE.. pure and simple.
and the only reason to buy one is to accomplish the task of getting from point A to point B safely, economically and hopefully reliably.
and to have fun with..

The focus is nothing more than an appliance used to perform a task.. and possibly a toy to have some fun with and enjoy.

All cars lose value (except rare collectables).. nothing you can do to stop it.

If that bothers you next time buy it used at 6 months or a year old instead of brand new off the showroom floor.. let the first owner take the hit... and get a deal.

To call it an investment because it gets better gas mileage than your old paid for car simply means you can't do math..

because once you figure in the cost of full coverage insurance on a new car compared to only keeping liability insurance on the old car, the loan interest, and the initial cost of the car to purchase it... You have spent more money than if you would have just putting gas in the old car.

What is my 2012 Focus S worth? well i have spent about just under 15,000 on it (including modifications)... what could I sell it for right now? Who cares, to me its priceless because I love it and wouldn't sell it for any price.

10 years from now, when its used up most of its life and the "love affair" has ended, It'll probably be sold as scrap metal... or traded off for whatever they'll give me, just to get rid of it so i don't have to take it over the scales.

Buy it because you love it
buy it because you enjoy it.
buy it because its useful and fun.

but don't buy it with the intention of calling it an investment, because it isn't.
Thank you. A man here that understands it.

Even 450k Lamborghinis become 200k purchases within a few years.

Unless you purchase a collectible, your car will never gain value.

You'd have to be deluded to think that.

Cars are and expense and for me I make the most of it. Mods, hard driving, whatever. I enjoy it and I don't drive it for the time I'm going to sell it. I enjoy it on my own terms and if that means my hard driving lowers the value so be it, it was my car to enjoy.

New cars are the worst especially if your paying insurance on something older.

Your rates go up and the costs of ownership especially out of warranty go up as well, even our Focii aren't cheap on the parts should you need them.

But yea, if you think a Focus is an investment that will give you a decent return, you're delusional. It's a tool, it can be an emotional tool, but it's not going to double in value just cause you think it should.

#43 ·

yep. i write mine off over five years and i think if you drive a new car for 10 years you've made the best use of your money. at the end of that period the resale value of a toyota or honda will be much greater than a ford.

#44 ·
About cars being an expense from a financial standpoint.
Let me add that is not to say that one could be disappointed about how quickly it is devaluing.
It will however it devalue more earlier on in the ownership period. The longer the ownership will average it out.

#54 ·
Part fact on reliability and part public perception is what drives resale values and Foci have never held a high resale value especially around here. Toyota trucks and Subarus command very good resale values in this state so some of it's regional.

#57 ·
And you never see a Corolla or Civic from the Vega/Pinto era on the road but you do see Vega's and Pinto's.

not where i live. i saw a vega the other day and it startled me[giggle]. hey i owned a pontiac astre and i doubt there was a worse car made tho the pontiac J and cars were pretty close. i also owned a pinto wagon....one of the years that would turn into a funeral pyre if rear-ended.

but we digress.

my point is the japanese cars hold their values much better for whatever reason. price a 10-year-old taurus against a camry or accord.

another thing. i will agree that the civic and corolla are nothing special these days but the prius and honda fit are.

when i decided to buy a small car i had i narrowed down to the honda fit or the focus. i had driven a rental focus for three days and i liked it alot. the fit on the other had looks too futuristic to me and it is gutless.

an hour after the test drive of the fit i was driving off the lot with my new focus.

so i bought the focus based on looks and performance but there's little doubt in my mind that the honda will require less maintenance over the long haul and will have a better resale value. i bought the car i wanted to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.