Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Focus is NOT holding value

32K views 298 replies 77 participants last post by  lddavis 
#1 ·
This car seems to keep dropping $1000 every month I check it on KBB.com. My SE Hatchback, had a value of $14,900 last month...now it's down to $13,977 for trade-in value. Two months ago is was in the $15,500 range. My car only has 12,600 miles on it.
I am definitely ditching this thing next summer....it'll still have a full 12,000 miles of factory warranty on it too.
I've never owned a vehicle whose value seems to be tanking this fast.

#222 ·
There are around a million 3rd gen focus out there, and a few hundred unique transmission complaints. That is the real reason why they are losing value so fast, there are a lot of them out there.

#223 ·
bored with this

Since ford fanatics think the dct in the 2012 focus is the best thing since sliced bread and I think it is crap we can argue all day and get nowhere so since this thread was started about why is the 2012 focus losing it value we can try to name a few other causes.....does anyone on here that owns the 12 focus with the mytouch have had zero issues and everything that was advertised about it works correctly voice, sync, gps, voice text, etc.....just wondering and how many people have had power steering issues??? ..B-lou

#225 ·
Since ford fanatics think the dct in the 2012 focus is the best thing since sliced bread and I think it is crap we can argue all day and get nowhere so since this thread was started about why is the 2012 focus losing it value we can try to name a few other causes.....does anyone on here that owns the 12 focus with the mytouch have had zero issues and everything that was advertised about it works correctly voice, sync, gps, voice text, etc.....just wondering and how many people have had power steering issues??? ..B-lou
I don't have GPS, but everything else works fine since the update with MFT. I have 17k miles and the oldest focus build date on this site feb 2011, so mine should have had every issue, but doesnt.

#229 ·
Does anyone else find it amusing how far off track this thread has gotten, but, also, how two of the more annoying posters (MyThIc3LiTe and B-lou) are arguing like children? [rofl] Good for a laugh anyway.

#241 ·
phone support

Just wanted to know about the phone support as my wife had a I phone that was not supported and I went out and bought I think a HTC what ever it was it was on the list and it did not work either so we just gave up and went back to our original phones.....point is it did not seem like anything worked as advertised andI am sure we were not the only ones which could be a reason why the values are coming down.....B-lou

#244 ·
Any issues always stem from iOS.

My berry and android work fine, iOS is always being weird whether it doesn't send contact info or it doesn't even send Bluetooth song info to the car.

#254 ·
What? New cars lose value? Almost immediately after you drive them off the lot? Nooooo!!!! Say it isn't so. Interesting though that the value is totally arbitrary considering the money you pay with is also losing value. Inflation anyone? Again, this is a first world problem and if your only complaint is that the car isn't holding value then ride a bike or better yet I'll pay you, to drive me in my car. Also with regard to the DCT, this is the way of the future. Shiftless transmissions are already out. But this can legitimately give you the best of both worlds. Yeah, we can talk all day about how a purist will love the feel of a MT but eventually that will go away and be regarded as an inconvenience. When you talk about your five speed people will look at you like you are talking about three on the tree. And besides MT and city driving don't mix, it's a pain in the ass, admit it.

#257 ·
And besides MT and city driving don't mix, it's a pain in the ass, admit it.
I've been in stop-and-go traffic in rush hour, heading up a long steep hill, one of a few on my route. I'm still happy I got the manual. If I had only one car, I'd pick a stick.

#255 ·
A 2012 Focus Titanium MSRPs for 24, 640 USD fully loaded.

KBB has this for a decent shape, 13,500 mile 2012 Titanium also fully loaded

For shots and giggles, here are some more.

A 2012 Honda Civic EX is 21,445 (KBB isn't showing the EXL so I didn't use it)

The Focus isn't that bad, it isn't that good; it's just average for keeping its value.

It's a first year car of a brand new model. I'd be shocked if it did hold value.

This isn't a Ferrari FXX. This won't gain in value as time goes on. It's a damn economy car that is sold by the truck load.

You think our depreciation is bad? Take a look at some luxury Marques and then come back and cry to us about resale value.

If resale value bothers you so much, buy used. You will clearly save a lot.

Otherwise stop the whining.

This isn't a Focus specific issue that some of you seem hell bent on believing.

#261 ·
The Focus isn't that bad, it isn't that good; it's just average for keeping its value.

It's a first year car of a brand new model. I'd be shocked if it did hold value.

This isn't a Ferrari FXX. This won't gain in value as time goes on. It's a damn economy car that is sold by the truck load.

You think our depreciation is bad? Take a look at some luxury Marques and then come back and cry to us about resale value.

If resale value bothers you so much, buy used. You will clearly save a lot.

Otherwise stop the whining.

This isn't a Focus specific issue that some of you seem hell bent on believing.
Like that will ever F'in happen. Some are car fanboys, others are just hater fanboys. Hater is as hater does.

I paid cash for my Ti. I am extremely happy with my 5speed. I couldn't give a skip-to-my-b-lou what the resale is. I'm averaging just under 3000 miles a month in the car, think I'll take a mileage hit? Who cares!! It's a car, not an investment!

#256 ·
Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but it's normal for American cars to hold their value less than Japanese cars, for example. However, I did get around $5k off sticker and 0% financing or so, compared with Honda, who wanted to charge 3.9% interest and would barely take off $1k from sticker.

In the end, it kind of balances out, IMHO. Cars aren't investments... I'd happily deal with lower resale value as an extra sort of cost of owning a Focus over something like a Civic or Corolla...

#258 ·
+1. Especially since the current Civic is uh... let's say 'undesirable' and leave it at that. My friends just bought a brand new Civic LX. I gave them my condolences!

#262 ·
Dont care anymore

You guys think I give a crap what the value of a focus is well I do not, was just elaborting on the the thread of why they are losing value......I got rid of my fully loaded titanium 2 months ago for a trade-in of 20G so it in fact looks like they are losing value quickly.....call me what you want just stating facts......B-lou

#263 ·
You guys think I give a crap what the value of a focus is well I do not, was just elaborting on the the thread of why they are losing value......I got rid of my fully loaded titanium 2 months ago for a trade-in of 20G so it in fact looks like they are losing value quickly.....call me what you want just stating facts......B-lou
1.) it's a American car, they never hold their value as well even if they are good.

2.) if you got rid of it already why are you still here? You're clearly not helping

3.) did you miss all the talk of why first run cars lose value anyways? Or are you trying to create some conspiracy?

#264 · (Edited)
"Like that will ever F'in happen. Some are car fanboys, others are just hater fanboys. Hater is as hater does.

I paid cash for my Ti. I am extremely happy with my 5speed. I couldn't give a skip-to-my-b-lou what the resale is. I'm averaging just under 3000 miles a month in the car, think I'll take a mileage hit? Who cares!! It's a car, not an investment!"

Exactly this.

I saved 6k on my car by buying a used, dealer employee Titanium and I avoided a majority of the first year depreciation. The car still, with 16k KM on it, still would get me around 21-22k at minimum on a trade. That's hardly a loss for me.

I think if you are mad that your car depreciated badly you probably paid a lot for it to begin with and are just frustrated to see that happen.

Expensive cars rarely hold their value. A 2012 SE would have less of a loss in value than a 2012 Titanium because the Titanium has a bunch of options and additions that don't really matter when considering trade in values. If you private sale, then it matters.

I still don't get why people need to make this seem like a Focus specific issue. It isn't. Its new car 101.

If you didn't realize that when you bought the car then quite honestly you are a fool and you deserve to be shocked when you go get a trade in appraisal.

#271 ·
" The car still, with 16k KM on it, still would get me around 21-22k at minimum on a trade. That's hardly a loss for me.

I think if you are mad that your car depreciated badly you probably paid a lot for it to begin with and are just frustrated to see that happen.
Maybe Canada has a better trade in values, but I was offered $17k for a loaded(no parking assist) Ti with 3K miles on it. If $21-$22K was the minimum folks were being offered, I doubt anyone would be complaining. Especially me, since I only paid $22k for it new.

#266 ·
I'm perfectly sympathetic with those that are disappointed in the value lost, it always sucks, but I can't blame my car for that problem specifically.

If you are the kind of person who flips cars often, don't use cash or buy a year old model. Lease that sucker. Most dealerships and financial institutions, from my experience at least, are cool with dumping a lease a year or two early especially if you are going back to the dealer or chain of dealers for the next one.

Both my dad and my mom leased, they don't keep cars often enough just yet to make a cash or finance purchase worth it.

Honestly a lot of it is planning and getting knowledge on your own and learning the ins and outs; no one here should have an excuse for not knowing what they were getting into with their cash or finance purchase. whoever here bought used or leased, they are laughing quietly I believe.

They don't need to worry as much about this issue at all.

I hate having to say this again, its a 2012 model, on a new platform, with 2013s already on sale. By those factors alone these will drop value.

#274 ·
What was offered and what was actually paid are not the same. My was $27665 sticker I bought for $23299. I was offered $4500 for my trade (which was not a focus). I actually got $7500.
You walk in to a dealer and ask how much for my trade, they will look at NADA and KBB and then offer as much below that as they think you are gullible enough to take.
If you are sitting down to actually buy a car it is a different story.

#284 ·
It seems to me that anyone that wants to change cars after 1 or 2 years needs to be leasing instead of buying. The value of the lease at the end of the term is not the trade in value but the retail estimate. So, the depreciation is what you pay, less rebates, less the estimated value at the end of the lease. The lease payment is basically financing the remainder of that equation. This is why one can lease a Lincoln or Cadillac for less than a plain Jane Ford or Chevy.

If you want to change vehicles after 1 or 2 years then lease it, plain and simple. If you don't want to do that, well then, no more complaints.

#286 ·
Basically, this.

And most places will let you out of the lease no questions asked and at worst they will find someone who can take over the payments for you.

Either way, people who flip cars often are better off doing that.

Don't blame Ford for the shenanigans of 3rd party value estimates and individual dealers who also have a profit to make.

#290 ·
B-lou,
I don't want to offend anyone here by speaking out of turn, but I think we pretty much all get it now: You bought a Focus. It sucked. Nothing worked.

-The engine once jumped out of the engine bay and burned up all your anytime minutes by making calls to Budapest.
-The front struts once used your credit card to buy a Jet Ski.
-The car would randomly leave the road to run over helpless bunnies who were posing for a calander whose proceeds were to be used to help feed starving monkeys.
-The transmission once mugged an old lady, pooped in her purse, and then gave the purse to your wife as a Valentine's gift.

It was afwul, but you don't need to spend any more time telling us about it. We get it.

Thanks,
The Internet.

#295 ·
You guys got this ALL wrong... Comparing MSRP when new to the Dealer trade in value isn't a fair comparison. They're not even the same type of pricing.

MSRP - the RETAIL price on the sticker suggested by ford..

Dealer Trade In - This is the recommended WHOLESALE price paid by a dealer to purchase a used car to add to their inventory, which they will mark up significantly to sell at USED RETAIL to the next owner. The trade in estimate is often times close to what a dealer will pay for a car at auction or what they pay for a car when buying a car from another dealer...

the difference between these two is going to ALWAYS be very steep.. otherwise the dealers don't make a profit when they sell it as a used car.

Compare the MSRP (or your actual agreed on purchase price to the PRIVATE Party Sale numbers... Or the Suggested Used Retail Price to make a fair comparison...

And still ... ALL new cars drop like a ROCK. Thats why you buy USED.... and let the first owner take the hit... and negotiate to pay as close as you can get the dealer to go to Trade-In value when you buy it...

A little more behind the scenes info....

A new car dealer makes his profit in the following order...

1. Service Department (this is where they make the most money)
2. Finance Office (they make more on the financing of a new car than they make on the car itself) Why do you think they push leases so much, they hate it when you pay cash... since it eats away their profit.

3. Used car Department. This is why the trade in value is so crappy compared to the MSRP of the car when new... its manipulated by the NADA in order to maximize profit on that car when the dealer Re-Sells it. They would rather have you buy a used current year than a showroom new current year. (if they can get you to finance that used car when you buy it, they make even more...

Example... A 20000 new car.. has an invoice price of 16500.. which the dealer essentially leases until it is sold.. the first owner talks em down to 17ish lets say...
6 months later.. the first owner trades it off and gets a trade in of 11500...
Then that dealer puts it in the used lot with a sticker price of get this... 17995... which the next owner talks him down to say 15995... so now the dealer gets almost a 4500 profit selling it used.. Where when that same dealer sold that same car "NEW" he would have only made a potential of 500 or maybe 750 dollars profit (if he's lucky)... THIS is why the trade in vaule drops SO much.. most people will buy used over new, since its usually cheaper... this is not a game.. this is done by DESIGN.....

The new car they will try to get you to lease....
Once sold as a used car.. they will try to get you to take out a standard loan on it...

Heres why...
As you can see above.. the average car dealer will make usually less than 1000 dollars on the sale of a new car.. (according to a report relesed by NADA at one time its $82.00 profit on average for the car itself...)

If they can get you to finance the car with traditional payments, the contract is then sold to a bank or something like Ford Motor Credit, and the profit margin jumps from $82 dollars on average to around $800 dollars on average...Plus they get a cut of the interest that loan accrues...

If they can get you to lease, that lease contract when sold to Ford Motor Credit (or who ever its leased through) pushes the profit margin to as much as $1700...

bottom line.. Buy it Used after it is about a year old... negotiate the hell out of it.. and pay cash..

#297 ·
You guys got this ALL wrong... Comparing MSRP when new to the Dealer trade in value isn't a fair comparison. They're not even the same type of pricing.

MSRP - the RETAIL price on the sticker suggested by ford..

Dealer Trade In - This is the recommended WHOLESALE price paid by a dealer to purchase a used car to add to their inventory, which they will mark up significantly to sell at USED RETAIL to the next owner. The trade in estimate is often times close to what a dealer will pay for a car at auction or what they pay for a car when buying a car from another dealer...

bottom line.. Buy it Used after it is about a year old... negotiate the hell out of it.. and pay cash..
Glad someone finally pointed that out. [;)]

And to the buying used and paying cash... This isn't always an option. I would say peeps need to weigh their options based on their own financial situations and priorities. After being burned on used cars a few times, I lean heavily towards buying new (read: not "abused, neglected, then dumped when the miles are still relatively low"). To me, the first year or two of ownership that are GENERALLY issue-free are worth a premium.

....Not that I'm willing to pay a ton more for new, mind you. I financed $16,600 for my new SE Hatch, I bought my 2008 Ducati new (with a full factory warranty) as a 2-year-old leftover for 66% of MSRP. Gotta shop! But I worry about how a vehicle was abused by someone who fully intended to get rid of it within a year of purchase... even before he/she leased it.

#296 ·
^^^This. This is why we will never be able to buy a new car online, whether through Ford or a third-party. The dealership wants to retain the control.

Sent from my stupid phone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.