Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How to: Tail light tint

59K views 91 replies 42 participants last post by  MSEngineer 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE: Following was done on a Euro 2011 Ford Focus Hatch MK3

**If you find that you tinted too much, you can reduce the tint by rubbing away with rubbing compound. This will slowly take off tint until you are happy!**

I used the following products:

Basic tools
1500 grit wet/dry sand paper
Paint thinner
Wax and grease remover
VHT Nite shades
Acrylic lacquer clear coat
Meguiar's ultimate compound

1a.) Remove tail lights, there are 2 wing nuts and a clip that have to be undone. The wing nuts are located here:

And they look like this:

Once the wingnuts are removed, pull the tail light sideways off the car, and the clip should come out. Look at the following picture and take note at where the clip is. Circles are the wingnut bolts, and the square is the clip.

1b.) Remove hatch light

Just unscrew the two screws indicated, and disconnect the wires at the back.

1c.) Remove the 2 lower rear reflectors. They are held in by clips which go though the rear bumper. Just stick your head under the car and use pliers to undo the clips.

2.) Wet sand the tail light with 1500 grit

3.) Wash off the debris with paint thinner and a cloth. Rub down the tail light firmly after, as it can leave a film.

4.) Apply wax and grease remover as the final prep, careful not to touch or move the tail light after this step.

5.) Apply VHT Nite shades and clear coat. I used quick fanning motions with the VHT nite shades and the clear coat. I used 3 coats of nite shades and 4 coats of clear.

6.) After spray let cure for at least 12 hours, 24 is best. Buff with rubbing compound until smooth and shiny.

Before rubbing compound:

After rubbing compound: (had to use the car, so cut the buffing process short, i'll finish it up later)

7.) Reattach lights. (Looks darker than it is, car was in a shadow.)

8.) Rubbing compound more once attached, you can really put your back into it when the lights are on the car. I also used a synthetic polish to give it a bit more shiny. This is the end product. I'm quite happy with it.

See less See more
#39 ·
You are right that it is your car and your choice. I normally wouldn't have said anything, but you did ask for opinions.

My point is... it might be your car to do with as you wish, but you have to share the road with others... and you are impeding their ability to drive safely when you lessen your own vehicle's visibility. Remember that if someone happens to rear-end you in the rain... it won't be entirely their fault.

#44 ·
The license plate lights on that car are brighter then the brake lights, LOL.

That light output does not 'look fine'... it is dangerously low!! [facepalm]

I sincerely hope that the reduced visibility of your vehicle does not get yourself or another person hurt like this:

http://www.pgjlaw.com/blog/2013/02/motorcyclist-paralyzed-in-crash-due-to-tinted-taillights.shtml

"The accident involved a truck driver who had his taillights dimmed in 2010 with a paint called "Nite-Shades," in an effort to make his car look cool. Instead, it caused a 17-year-old motorcyclist to be unable to see the truck in front of him in Wildwood on Highway 109 one evening in April of that year. The motorcyclist crashed into the truck as a result, suffering paralyzing injuries."

Tinted taillights should be illegal. Oh wait, they are... it's just not enforced. So, by all means, continue making your car into a rolling road hazard, you probably won't get a ticket for it. And you probably won't get anyone killed or paralyzed because of it. So spray on another layer of tint!

That guy on the motorcycle was probably speeding, and the guy with the truck overdid it on his tint. You're all smarter than those guys, amirite? That could never happen to you. Probably not, anyways.

I'm done lecturing. Peace out and stay safe.

#46 ·
I think it's really stupid when somebody completely blacks out there tail lights. A couple of coats is fine but there is a fine line between safety and "coolness". Personally I like a pretty light smoke and not a fully black light.

In Michigan it's legal as long as you can see the lights from a couple hundred feet. 500 I think, but don't quote me. You have to use a lot of common sense and courtesy in a situation like this and unfortunately a lot of people are dumb and don't think about it.

*end Rant

-sbc

#60 ·
A few things actually...

1. I don't think I was thorough enough on the sanding part. I noticed that the spotting only happened on areas that I was afraid to be aggressive on. (This was mainly along the many contour lines)

2. Too many coats.

3. Inexperience (spray painting). I admit it. So what? Trial + error baby.

It's going to be a bitch to take it off from what I've read ... Going to use some gasoline and goof off. It's only been 1 day so I'm hoping that make it easier.

The new plan is to strip - resand - and take it one even coat at a time.

#62 ·
Way too many coats.. There is a really good "how to" video on YouTube. The guy goes through every step, how sand and coat, etc.

#63 ·
Alright gentlemen- update:

I started the day pretty early to ensure I would allow enough time in between steps (coats and curing) and here it is ...

Stripped everything down using Goof Off.

Before:

After:

Then I pretty much started the sanding and rubbing process all over again. This is what they looked like after it was all said and done:

After polish and install, they kinda have a matte look which actually works out better to my likings

#65 ·
Thanks bro!

It literally melted off with Goof Off- I wish I would've video taped it. Keep in mind though, that my lights had only been tinted for 8-9 hours tops before I started stripping it. So nothing really had enough time to bond/adhere. I'll take a better picture of the end result tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.