Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2.5" Straight Pipe!

9K views 41 replies 27 participants last post by  FocuSwag 
#1 ·
Just wondering what you guys think of the sound! Took out both resinators and muffler and put 2.5" stainless steel straight pipe all the way back with a little rectangle tip!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wHGXRLqUO0

#5 ·

In the words of Morgan Proctor Bureaucrat Grade 19, dirty boy, dirty dirty.... [histerical]

[driving][race]

It does sound quite deep and mean, but it also likely drones something awful unfortunately.

I like it statically, but I'm not sure I could live with the drone after my last car for 44000+ miles.

#16 ·
Pretty cool for race car sound but just a little much for the street I think and I like loud but not quite that much for DD.

#17 ·
full on straight pipe, is waaayy too ******* even for me :p besides Its been tested and proven you can get more power through Mufflers then straight pipe (depending on the type of muffler)

#19 ·
^^ agree - have to say but thanks for posting vid of this extreme - I'd wondered what it would sound like - post again with muffler for comparison yes?

#23 ·
Sounds like a racecar... I did this to my Mazdaspeed 3 a couple of years ago, but it was STRAIGHT piped, I mean no cats no reso no muffler, needless to say, it was cool for a week cause my car sounded like it was ripped off the track, but... I ended up throwing down for an aftermarket catback about a month later. It was just too much, highway drone was TERRIBLE, around town was okay but like I said, got old fast.

Though, the first rev when we finished the downpipe and removed the cats in doing so, completing the straight pipe setup did set off a car alarm across my neighborhood... lol

#24 ·
Good thing I have nothing but heavy city traffic to enjoy this with.

If we had some sort of active exhaust system (we can dream) then this would be perfect.

#25 ·
Loud and slow isn't the way to go;need ponies to go with the extra noise but then again I outgrew the obnoxious "look at me" exhausts long ago and I prefer something that sounds deep and mellow.

#28 ·
i put on the straight pipe to enjoy for this summer, have always wanted a car that sounds like that :p , will be putting on a muffler before winter starts, it does get annoying after awhile, espeially on the highway. im sure everyone who doesnt like it at some point in their life owned or wanted to own a car that sounded like that :) lol

#29 ·
So much power it blows over your phone! [rofl]

The only problem I can see with having that loud of an exhaust is that you have nothing to back it up. Not saying it doesn't sound good, it's just that if you run into someone with a turbo, supercharger, etc. on the highway...egg on your face

#35 ·
Or a Toyota Rav4 which is nearly as quick as an ST in a straight line. I think it sounds like crap and prefer a nice sounding exhaust over what sounds more like a hole in the muffler than screaming I have a cool car.

#33 ·
For a N/A 4-cylinder, I think it sounds pretty good. Definitely a little too loud for a daily ride (my $.02), but it'd be fun for at least a few days.

And while I'm not suggesting a resurrection of the "4-cylinder Fart Can Craze", Ford would have been on to something if they had these engines back then.

Thanks for posting the video though. I'd never try it on my own, but was definitely curious how it would sound.

#34 ·
When you are looking for a muffler/resonator, I would look for the 18" Magnaflow and I believe the 12" Vibrant. Maybe do the Magnaflow first to see if you like it without the resonator, and add the resonator later if you don't.

Double-check with Sonic, but I'm pretty sure that those are the two he used for his side exhaust. They are both straight-through design and we double-checked with both companies about their flow ratings. He also has some video and driving impressions[thumb]

Sent from my stupid phone, please dismiss my illiteracy[facepalm]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.