Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Open Grill Available?

9K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  RebelDevilCustoms 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. This is my first post on Focus Fanatics. I've tried searching, but did not come up with a definitive answer to this question:

Does any aftermarket source sell open "mesh" type grill inserts for the 3rd generation? I ask because I've ordered an Oxford White Focus ST and I'd like eventually to swap the "catfish" front end / bumper/grill with the standard Focus front end, and then add some more aggressive touches -- something like this:

However, it looks like the standard Focus grill is mostly closed, so simply swapping them could lead to air flow issues with the intercooler on the ST. So I'm really hoping there are aftermarket inserts that allow more air flow.

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
You could probably make it work, but it would require some modding to the standard grill to allow better airflow, be the guinea pig and find out for everybody else.

#3 ·
I'm not aware of any wide open plastic mesh grille inserts that just slot in, but if you look closely at the ST grille openings you'll see that they precisely mimic that of the standard car. The top is shrouded in for the air intake, and the lower grille area is not much more open if at all, due to the fact that the car is designed to also use the exact same grille shuttter system to close off the grill at higher speeds when there is an excess of air pressure, as well as to help warm up the intercooler/ turbo/ powertrain when its really cold outside for better efficiency.

#4 ·
I didn't realize the standard grill also had active shutters. Where are they located on the Focus SE/SEL?

The very bottom of the two bumpers appear different, with the ST having a bigger opening and horizontal vanes to direct air to the IC.

I guess I'll have to figure this out once my ST arrives. Hopefully, I can find Focus bumper at a parts recycler to play around with this. I think the ST with the SE front would be a great combination.

#5 ·
Early Job 1 2012 cars didn't have them across the board, but the grille openings didn't change on the standard 2012-2013 cars. They were made standard on late Job 1 builds and all Job 2 2012 (after 3/5/12) builds. They are located in the lower center portion of the grille opening.

#6 ·
For a turbo car with the intercooler front mounted that actually is a small opening... the Mazdaspeed 3 I had before my Focus had a MUCH bigger front grill and it had a top mounted IC from the factory.

I'm sure at some point there will be an aftermarket grill made with a bigger opening in the front, but as it sits now... if suss is correct and the openings really aren't different, you should have no issues swapping.

Although to be on the safe side... popping out the side grill pieces and using a dremel to open up some more holes would be a good idea, since they're there for show, making them functional could add that extra horizontal space the ST looks like it has.

#7 ·
I would recommend looking closely at the ST grille, but it doesn't appear to have a larger opening, despite looking like it should.

If the openings are the same and it seems to mirror the standard grille for the upper opening, a large closed center section and then the open lower section where the grille shutter system would sit behind. Now if some one could demonstrate this by putting the images of the lower grille side by side (where you could see what was actually open it may prove this to be the case.

#13 ·
The non-ST in that photo has a ground effects kit... so the front bumper appears more aggressive than it is for North American cars. Looks like the Zetec S model, as it's a UK car and they offer that trim over there, which adds lower skirts.

Nice kit, though. Thinking of putting one on mine at some point. [wrenchin]

#12 ·
#14 ·
There will be some grills coming out from Rebel Devil Customs, I know i have been saying this for weeks, but still waiting on the F/G company to produce them. so hope within 2 weeks.

#17 ·
I'm assuming that the 1.0 litre ecoboost has an intercooler front mounted like the 2.0 liter version. If so, it looks like the Focus with the 1.0L engine has open mesh grills. This car looks absolutely fantastic:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5973/ford-focus-zetec-s-1-0-litre-ecoboost-car-review

It looks like this mesh design would do a good job with air flow/cooling, although I'm sure the ST's intercooler will be doing a lot more work.

Edit - oops, never mind. The side grills are closed, too.

#18 ·
I'm assuming that the 1.0 litre ecoboost has an intercooler front mounted like the 2.0 liter version. If so, it looks like the Focus with the 1.0L engine has open mesh grills. This car looks absolutely fantastic:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/review/5973/ford-focus-zetec-s-1-0-litre-ecoboost-car-review

It looks like this mesh design would do a good job with air flow/cooling, although I'm sure the ST's intercooler will be doing a lot more work.
That's the Zetec-S body kit, with the mesh look on the grilles, but they aren't really more open than that of the standard car since its no more powerful than the basic models, and therefore doesn't have a need to cool more than a 2.0L i4 gdi, the 1.6L EcoBoost or up to the 2.0L duratorq diesel. Those are very much not open at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.