Focus Fanatics Forum banner

How To : Remove Fog Bezels the Easy Way

57K views 86 replies 43 participants last post by  stefcio007 
#1 ·
Want to remove the Bezels out of your S, SE, or SEL so you can paint them like the Ti fog bezels? Well here your stop. You can thank me now, or later because this will save you TONS of time. I spent a good 2 hours before figuring this out.

Step 1 : Get a flathead screwdriver.

Step 2 : Pry the light out of the hole. Gently push the sides of the light, there are clips in 4 corners of the bezel. All you need to do take the screw driver and 1 by one pry the clips in each corner. The clips push inwards, don't worry they're not going to break. There is no need to remove the headlights, this is all do able without removing anything!

I will be posting pictures of my ride tomorrow with the new Plastidipped Bezels :p

See less See more
#6 ·
pics or it didn't happen. I'd rather not have to take my headlights out.

#9 ·
Here's the problem with PRYING the bezels out from the front....

What holds them in is thin little U tabs formed into the bumper cover that snap into those slots in the bezel. If you don't release the tabs the correct way, you just rip the U in half by pulling them out through the front. Then you run the risk of them not snapping back into place correctly, because the tabs are broken.

#10 ·
Here's the problem with PRYING the bezels out from the front....

What holds them in is thin little U tabs formed into the bumper cover that snap into those slots in the bezel. If you don't release the tabs the correct way, you just rip the U in half by pulling them out through the front. Then you run the risk of them not snapping back into place correctly, because the tabs are broken.
Yes, I'm with Power surge all the way. Your way is easier but a screwdriver? [smackbum] There's a right way, a wrong way, and a large grey area in between.

At least use a plastic pry tool!

#11 ·
I really wanted to remove mine but once I saw everybody is plasti-dipping everything or has to have the Ti headlamps I'm thinking of keeping all the chrome pieces chrome just to be different.[thumb]

#13 ·
I'm not a chrome guy, but on the silver I like the chrome over the black headlights. I still don't like the chrome fog bezels though. I think a color match would look nice.
Posted via FF Mobile

#19 ·
on race red the silver looks good? On SE Sport Race red cars, they need to be all blacked out.[cheers][cheers][cheers][cheers]

#17 ·
Screw driver on the paint scars me [scared]

Thanks for the heads up though, maybe a plastic pry tool would work just as well [thumb]

#20 ·
When I changed my bezels, i removed the fog light from the rear and they just popped out, no tools on the paint[eek][eek][eek]

#31 ·
Here's some tips I'll add after changing to the Ti bezels (thanks greg_hazlett!).

Only two out of the four clips are really essential for retaining and removing the bezels. The inner clip (one closest to the grill) and the bottom clip. You'll notice they have the larger retaining "ridges," while the other two have very small ones.

Of course, the only two clips you can see after removing the headlights are the ones with the small retainers. I found it easier to release the two larger retainers from the front by using two prying tools (one for each retainer) and carefully prying around until the bezels popped loose.

I fortunately have plastic pry tools and so I did not need a screwdriver. However, I still wrapped the tips in a soft, thin cloth to avoid as much damage as possible. I'd recommend that for anything you choose to use for prying.

I don't know how some of you managed with a credit card, but you're lucky. Mine would not budge unless I really got in there.

#32 ·
I just tried getting mine out for the last hour. I tried with a credit card and I also took out the head lights. I also tried prying with a plastic prying tool. Mine won't budge no matter what. I wonder is I can tape the front of the bezels and the paint surrounding the bezels and just spray them with plastidip while they are still on the car?

#33 ·
Follow these steps. Take your plastic pry tool and try to pry the top, if you hear or feel a small little click, this is the sound of the clip barely unclipping. Now when your trying to unclip the other two there is a high possibility of the first one clippng back in! Be careful, it just takes patience and easy hands.

#34 ·
Why not just unbolt the fog lights and pop them out? its that easy[thumb]

#37 ·
I couldn't get the credit card to work so I wrapped two screwdrivers in silk hankies and worked one through the outer edge and one at the top. The bezel slid right out. popped the Titaniums in and I was done. 2 mins tops

#39 ·
I had to replace one of my foglights. I loosened up around half of the under bumper cover and then took out the front bolts from the inner fenderwell. I purshed them back and was able to install the new and remove the old light. This process worked the easiest for me as I was unable to get completely under the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.