Focus Fanatics Forum banner

AppLink Available on 2013

26K views 115 replies 41 participants last post by  Tubeway Army 
#1 ·
#2 ·
I hope.

I still haven't received my upgrade so I'm behind the curve either way.

#7 ·
#10 ·
There is two updates coming down the pipe for MFT, one of them is "huge" according to the tech support people at Ford.
I had a very pleasant conversation with a Tech rep named Gary when I called the 1-800 number from Ford on Friday recently. Since I own three newer Fords, all with some form of Sync, and my wife's new Galaxy Note (and my Galaxy Nexus with the JellyBean upgrade) was having some issues recognizing one of the cars. After we sorted that out (very easy fix as it turns out), he asked how I liked my MFT and we discussed different OS platforms, etc (he inquired to my background, so, we had "common ground" knowledge wise)... He did confirm the new update coming soon (which we already knew) which returns a lot of lost "functionality", but, he also mentioned some of thier team working on a complete "revamp" and possibly a completely different OS (he couldn't say much obviously) and believe me, I tried without getting him in trouble to give me more info. The only thing he could say is that they are currently testing a beta version of this new "interface" and things look very positive,.. he suspected before the end of the year it would be ready for full release and that everyone would be very surprised and happy with it...... I hinted that as long as they keep using the current Microsoft Automotive crap, (instead of a Linux version or even QNX like Porsche is doing), most of us won't be happy. He laughed, agreed with me and assured me, I would be happy when they do this "big" release sometime later this year (or even later, who knows)....
Read into that whatever you will, but, having dealt with CS reps before on the phone with other companies, its pretty easy to tell when they're "blowing smoke" or making stuff up, and I didn't get that vibe at all from this Ford Tech rep....... and he was very carefull as to what and how he said it...only to confirm a new update coming very soon (the one we all know about), but, he also said to keep "your ears and eyes on the forums about a huge release later in the year" that should "change everything" as he put it....

Hmmmm, I have no reason to doubt his last statement, but, who knows how long before we actually see it out, the fact that it is in beta already is encouraging though.

#20 ·
Only problem with this is everywhere else this is referenced on the internet they're also tying the update to a completely different system (Sync III). This means it would require different hardware, as well. At the very least, it would only most likely be available as an update to very recent systems, which would probably include 2013 models and up.

Then again people said for a year and a half that an update to Sync MyFord Touch was coming...and the update that was supposed to fix everything (according to everyone that touched it) really did nothing at all.

#14 ·
Hey everyone!

Sorry for any confusion, I've requested the photo in the above link be changed. It's advertising SYNC with MyFord, not MyFord Touch like the pic shows.

In regards to AppLink, our engineers are working to expand this feature, but I can't speculate on availability. Stay tuned to our SYNC Owner to Owner forum for upcoming announcements:

http://boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=fordsyncmb&listMode=0

I still haven't received my upgrade so I'm behind the curve either way.
You may be able to download the update from SyncMyRide, MyThIc3LiTe. Is your vehicle equipped with navigation? I'd like to look into this, PM your VIN when you get a chance.

Jaclyn

#15 ·
Hey everyone!

Sorry for any confusion, I've requested the photo in the above link be changed. It's advertising SYNC with MyFord, not MyFord Touch like the pic shows.

In regards to AppLink, our engineers are working to expand this feature, but I can't speculate on availability. Stay tuned to our SYNC Owner to Owner forum for upcoming announcements:

http://boards.SyncCommunity.com/n/pfx/forum.aspx?webtag=fordsyncmb&listMode=0

You may be able to download the update from SyncMyRide, MyThIc3LiTe. Is your vehicle equipped with navigation? I'd like to look into this, PM your VIN when you get a chance.

Jaclyn
So does this mean those who choose NOT to get MFT in the new 2013 will get AppLink while those who get MFT won't? If so...why you hate on MFT so much?

#18 ·
seems as if MFT is the platform NOT getting AppLink, the basic MyFord with Sync should be though

#30 ·
People need to take what they read on these forums with a grain of salt.

Multiple people here are complaining the V3 of MFT was "no better" or "worse" than previous versions.

Since updating, I have had all of a single reboot of the system. Other than that, V3 had been perfection. Talking with many other owners and looking at the forums here, most people have had the same experience.

The squeaky wheel is always the loudest...

#31 ·
Certainly a valid point.

I admit I mostly love my Focus, but I can't help but note when I've had a different experience. Since my update to v3.02 in April, I've had probably 8-10 reboots. I know for certain I had 3 in under a week when we took a 2,000 mile road trip last month. So it's not all roses and sunshine for those of us with MFT.

#37 ·
Jaclyn,

Thanks for all the responses and the way in which you respond. It's comforting knowing that someone that is knowledgeable with more than just conjecture is available and willing to field questions.

#38 ·
You're welcome, jdubhack, I must say I have a pretty cool job. [wiggle]

I appreciate your kind words, this was a great way to start my day!

Jaclyn

#40 ·
Is there any update on the 2012 Focus (non MyFord Touch) getting AppLink?
Talk about a slap in the face when just about every other model got the update and the one that was advertised heavily on tech podcasts wasn't updated.
My brother's 2011 Fiesta has it. It's silly.
No news yet, frogstik. As soon as I hear something I promise to pass it along.

Jaclyn

#47 ·
To check for updates, ctvfam, log in to your SYNC account and click on the SYNC UPDATES tab.

As updates are released, announcements are made in our Owner to Owner forum:

http://boards.synccommunity.com/n/p...=6&listMode=13&nav=messages&webtag=fordsyncmb

I bought a 2013 Ford Focus with MFT a week ago, will it have Applink in it or is there still a wait to get it?

Because I am having issues with Pandora on Android and was hoping this might fix my issues
Congrats on your new Focus, Grifftech2K13!

AppLink is not currently available on vehicles equipped with MyFord Touch. Our engineers are working to expand this feature, but I can't speculate on timing. What's going on with Pandora? Are you connected via USB or streaming Bluetooth audio?

Jaclyn

#51 ·
Android device I assume? MFT (and most car head units) only see the first drive presented to it. At least that is the case for my old phone as well (Galaxy S Captivate) This is more of an issue with the phone to be honest. If your phone is rooted there are programs in the store that let you change the order of your SD cards. Othewise you could also buy a cheap USB microsd card reader.

#56 ·
Yessum. I drove a 2013 rental and my phone's Pandora hooked directly up to the car. Pretty awesome.

#59 ·
Correct. It's only non-MFT 2013 model year Focuses so far.

EDIT: Suss, is it on the 2013 S models? <- US S, not Euro Zetec S - obviously. lol

#67 ·
Hi, everyone -

Like I've been saying for a while, our engineers are working to make AppLink available on more models and it's slowly becoming a reality. The 2013 Focus with the MyFord radio now includes this feature. An update across the basic SYNC (Gen 1) line is also planned. As release dates are available, I'll post to let you know. In regards to MyFord Touch-equipped vehicles, I still can't speculate, but I promise to keep you in the loop.

Jaclyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.