Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Steeda Lowering Springs

35K views 125 replies 32 participants last post by  RAF_S197 
#1 · (Edited)
Just noticed these on their site. Pretty sure they just put them up.

http://www.steedafocus.com/parts/steeda-2012-up-focus-lowering-springs.html

Was hoping to check their site and find that the FSB was finally available, which would have made me squeal like a girl (DON'T JUDGE ME!), but my hopes were dashed.

Anyone got plans to try them out? For 50 bucks more than the Pro-Kit, I would hope they offer some sort of advantage. They do offer a slightly lower drop in the front and apparently reduce understeer.

I was planning on the Pro-kit or some MS3 springs but if enough people recommend these or if no one has tried them by the time I decide to add a drop, I might give them a try and possibly be the guinea pig.

#4 ·
I would totally buy these (or any other brand, really) if I didn't get the Ti Focus... but having paid more for the car, I really can't justify putting any more money into her until she's paid off.

I wish I had bought an SE [:(]

#6 ·
I may be picking these up in the next day or so. So I will let you all know [thumb]

Maybe get them and install them over the weekend lol

#12 ·
If these are anything like their Steeda springs for the MKI Focus, then as much as I like my MS3 springs, I will be getting these when I get some other mods done. I tried a lot of different springs on the 2001 ZX3 I had, and the Steeda springs were by far the best. Perfect IMHO.

I hope they are linear rate like the old ones as well. Not a fan of progressive rate springs.

#30 ·
For the intake they used CAD data that was set to them directly from fords engineering team.

In regards to the springs they came up with their own spring rates and to my knowledge went through at least to companies to get the springs done they way they wanted. No compromise was made on the springs.

And as soon as the springs are installed pictures will be taken

#31 ·
Guess I'm going to wait and see what people who test them out think before I pull out the credit card!

I've never lowered a car before, does it negatively effect anything in the car down the line?

#32 ·
Main negatives would be slightly harsher ride, struts will ware out faster then stock. That's about it lol

#33 ·
Those springs don't lower the car enough to affect ride quality a whole lot in willing to bet. Heck, when people started lowering Fusions people noticed an actual better ride with the lowering springs vs. stock.

As for lowering with just springs, stock struts will wear very fast, you'll also get rattles in your interior from the firm ride. Lowering can also cause increased tire wear from camber and toe settings being off. That's why getting an alignment is crucial. Idk if camber is adjustable in the front on the Focus but it isn't on my fusion so I'm stuck with 1 degree in front.

Regardless, none of this will really affect people lowered on Steeda springs as they aren't real low to begin with.

#34 ·
Well one with this minimal of a drop I doubt the struts are really going to were out faster. I know many people with other cars with 2 inch drops on stock struts and they are fine and have been for years. Granted they may not last as long as stock setup but it's not like they will blow out in a month.

Two (as stated above) I know one of my old vehicles actually rode better with a 2 inch drop on stock struts that it did stock. But my S10 has a harsh ride with a 5 inch drop in front and 6 inch drop in the rear.

Three :( on the drop. Basically $50 more for maybe .20 inch of a drop in front. Claims to reduce understeer, but in most cases just daily driving that is not an issue so really to me the springs are not worth it. I still want something to drop lower. The H&R get you to almost 1.5 inches. Me taste do not want wheel well gap and these don't look that much different than stock. Heck if I saw the Steeda pics online and didn't know it had springs I wouldn't have even guessed it was dropped. But this is all my opinion.

#35 ·
With a 1.5" drop on the Focus, you will need camber arms in the rear; I believe the front can be adjusted (or inexpensive camber bolts). At about .5" of drop, I'm already noticing negative camber in the rear, though not enough to need the arms (alignment will tell me for sure this weekend). Heep in mins that our Foci don't have a large wheel gap to start with and the shocks/struts are tuned accordingly.

I think the steeda pics were taken right after the install. My car had less wheel gap on the Eibach Pro-Kit. Either that or the sedan sits higher than the HB. Idk, just my observation.

#49 ·
Well since i am ordering I will take before and after measurements on all four corners from ground to fender lip before lowering, right after lowering and after spring settle. And pictures of this on a flat level surface as well

#50 ·
You may get more accurate results if you measure from the lip to hub center. Tire temperatures and pressures are then out of the equation.

#51 ·
Depending on what measurements Steeda needs is the ones I will be providing lol

But hub does sound better

Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

#52 ·
Depending on what measurements Steeda needs is the ones I will be providing lol

But hub does sound better

Sent from my SGH-I777 using FF Mobile 2
Well, I would hate for you to have to take two different measurements. [poke]

How about giving Steeda what they need and giving us the accurate measurements?

#54 ·
These springs look like the drop I am looking for. I am gonna wait to see what REDFOCZ posts for pictures and a little review before I pull the trigger on a set. I am gonna guess that these springs are not Progressive Springs.

SteedaBrandon- When can we expect a set of Strut Braces be available? [poke]

#61 ·
Yeah Steeda was working on these springs before I even made it to the shop the first time last August. The one that was on their Sema car was the first set that didnt meet their standards and went back to the drawing boards to get it right. I cant wait to get these on the car since I already have the RSB i am hoping the under steer will be completely gone. if not I will have to get the race sway bar kit [angel]

@bill9886, yeah they did mention that it most likely would not be made for the reasons I posted above. Never know FSwerks may make one, they have on other MK models

#62 ·
I think the Focus handles great for a factory car, but there is room for improvement. I wanna get their Rear Sway Bar too. Are they gonna have a Front Sway Bar Kit? I bet with a Front and Rear Sway Bar Kit and those Springs, it will be a serious handling Focus.

#65 ·
Just wondering if you put these springs on your car and something related goes bad on the car will ford still cover you under the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.