Focus Fanatics Forum banner

new TSB 12-5-5 for manual trans focii

36K views 166 replies 38 participants last post by  mipds 
#1 ·
I'm going to be doing this update to mine tomorrow as I've noticed a few of the quirks this one is supposed to correct. Cheers

2.0L GDI AND MANUAL TRANSMISSION - CALIBRATION UPDATE - VARIOUS DRIVABILITY IMPROVEMENTS - BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/29/2012

Publication Date: May 8, 2012

FORD: 2012 Focus

This article supersedes TSB 12-1-4 to update the Title, Issue Statement and Service Procedure.

ISSUE:
Some 2012 Focus vehicles equipped with a 2.0L gasoline direct injection (GDI) engine, manual transmission and built on or before 2/29/2012 may exhibit diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) U0422, P00D2, P068A, P0850, P2610, P2832, P286F, P2877, P00C6, P0607, P0457 and/or P06B8 and may be accompanied by engine drivability concerns. Refer to the calibration content for additional calibration details.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 78.02 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2012.3 DVD. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
Reset the Oil Minder, refer to Workshop Manual (WSM), Section 413-01.
Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following on vehicles equipped with a manual transmission:

Intermittent vehicle speed control inoperative.
Engine no-start with engine coolant temperature (ECT) open circuit faults.
Intermittent no-crank/no-start condition after performing normal Powertrain Control/Emissions Diagnosis (PC/ED) pinpoint test (PPT) procedures.
Intermittent false initialization to 21 °C (70 °F) on the instrument cluster's ambient temperature display upon engine start up.
A/C performance at idle and high engine coolant temperature readings in cold ambient temperatures below 0 °C (32 °F) on vehicles equipped with automatic grill shutters (AGS).
Oil change minder not lighting up in instrument panel cluster (IPC) when vehicle surpasses 10,000 miles.
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THE VEHICLE'S OIL MINDER HAS BEEN RESET AND TO FOLLOW THE RECOMMENDED OIL CHANGE INTERVAL AS DESCRIBED IN THE OWNERS MANUAL.

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty/ESP coverage limits/policies/prior approvals are not altered by a TSB. Warranty/ESP coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part and verified using the OASIS part coverage tool.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
120505A 2012 Focus 2.0L GDI And Manual Transmission: Check DTCs And Reprogram The PCM, Includes Time To Reset The Oil Change Minder (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.4 Hr.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
RECALEM 04

See less See more
#5 ·
I think that has to do with the earlier build cars where the initial programming or the previous update didn't actually enable the oil life monitor to alert the driver and the latest update is supposed to, but it needs to be reset first even though it won't coincide with an oil change as apart of the tsb, so the next service would have to be performed normally without it. Then it would need to be reset again at that time.

#6 · (Edited)
Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.
Low speed tip-in/tip-out shuffle in 1st, 2nd and reverse gears
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop. These seemed to be random occurrences, but it looks like Ford may have found a solution.

The wording is strange there... How often do you launch a manual transmission vehicle from a stop without the accelerator pedal? It's not like the Focus has gobs of low-end torque and stump-puller gears.

#8 ·
There have been a couple of threads with MTX75 owners complaining about no power when taking off from a stop.
I'm one of those.

How is this a "problem?": Difficulty launching from a stop when not using the accelerator pedal.

I would think it pretty much impossible to launch without using the throttle, lol.
You should be able to launch manual transmission cars without using the accelerator. That's the first thing you should learn how to do when learning to drive manual or a motorcycle so you know where the clutch engagement point is. I've also had to drive like this due to my left knee being immobilized.

#32 ·
I'm one of those.

You should be able to launch manual transmission cars without using the accelerator. That's the first thing you should learn how to do when learning to drive manual or a motorcycle so you know where the clutch engagement point is. I've also had to drive like this due to my left knee being immobilized.
Uh, wrong. No throttle and the engine stalls. Pretty simple.
I agree with BetaDnB. This was the first thing I learned driving a stick: on flat and level ground, launch the car without any throttle input. On my 2012 Focus, this is extremely easy. Even engaging the clutch (i.e., releasing the pedal) a bit quicker caused the car to lurch forward a bit but I've been able to not stall. It takes quite a quick release to stall my car. This makes me happy.

#14 ·
Disagreeing isn't trolling, d-bag.
No, but trying to call somebody out who's trying to teach you something when you're wrong is. Then calling them a d-bag...that sort of "intellect" is absolutely mind numbing to me.

That's not 100% true, sure if you just release the clutch without modulating at the bite point on a car with very little torque at idle it will stall, but it is possible to get the engagement just right that the car starts to move without ever applying the throttle, I've experienced this in my old car, which had a 5 speed manual beside an i4 1.6L engine that made maybe 105 hp when it was new at 5000+ rpm and basically nothing at idle, feather the clutch just a little bit to get a feel for the bite point and the car doesn't stall even with no throttle applied. Besides with a newer car with a computer controlled throttle the computer could compensate by opening the throttle slightly enough that makes the whole point moot if they chose to.
That wasn't a 5th gen Civic by chance, was it?

#17 ·
You don't need any application of the throttle pedal to get the car to move forward. Especially at initial start up when the car is still in high idle. Pulling out of my garage, I don't touch the throttle pedal until I get to the street and put the car into 1st. The driveway is sloped, but the garage is flat.

You can also use first gear when the car is rolling, you just have to rev match so you don't get the huge jerk when you engage the clutch.

#18 ·
LOL...not another one of these guys. Where did I call you name? I used a verb, but never called you a name. Everything is bigger in Texas including your head or what? I'll take video later. Then maybe you won't run around like a know-it-all.

#19 ·
Telling someone they're trolling implies that they're a troll, but thanks for the grammar lesson (and you call me a know-it-all, lol?).

Look, maybe the Focus adds throttle on its own, as Suss said - but traditionally in a manual there is no forward motion with idle. Knock yourself out with the video.

Not to mention, simply creeping forward is hardly "launching."

#20 ·
Telling someone they're trolling implies that they're a troll, but thanks for the grammar lesson (and you call me a know-it-all, lol?).

Look, maybe the Focus adds throttle on its own, as Suss said - but traditionally in a manual there is no forward motion with idle. Knock yourself out with the video.
I've driven manuals ranging from 1965 to this here 2012. You do not need the throttle to initial the car moving forward. It's not some new fangled technology.... you are basically slipping the clutch slowly enough until the car starts moving forward. Not how I would recommend driving around town, but it will work.

#24 ·
Sorry. I'd call them with the TSB number and make an appointment. Since it's just a TSB they won't send anything in the mail.

#28 ·
Yes, you can ease of the clutch and start moving BUT with only a few exceptions you're going to ease of the clutch AND add throttle. If you're stuck in traffic on the interstate due to an accident, for example, you may find yourself inching forward a car length at a time and in that situation you MAY just ease of the clutch without adding throttle, but, other that situations like that you will pretty much always add throttle.

So, technically you can launch without adding gas but in practice that almost never happens because if you did the guy behind you would be ridding his horn!

Brian

#29 ·
IB4 Bimmer-bob smokes his clutch trying to figure out how to do this. [woot]

I would never actually do this unless you are in initial start up high idle or maybe in your traffic situation... but that's going to add a lot of really hard miles on that clutch.

It's not recommended to do but it will happen.

#31 ·
Possibly dumb question, but where would I see if my car needs this TSB update? According to this, my build date is in the range affected, but I don't see anything on ETIS (Would I, or does that only show recalls?). Is there anywhere else I should check to see if I "qualify" for this?

#42 ·
What if i do not want the engine system to use up a chunk of gasoline to make certain other folks 2012's do not stall?

I do NOT plan on ever getting this 'fix' if i cann help it.
I am perfectly fine with my manual transmission's functioning.
And yes as a lifetime (47 plus years of driving) manual tranny driver, one can always repeat ALWAYS (with some talent?) get a manual tranny car to start moving forward witn zero application of the foot on the gas.
And the event is NOT going to do ANY damage to a clutch.
(though if you did it ten thousand time it would be a problem...) [poke]

((The ritualistic flaming so far in this thread has been funny as Hell.))

Also, the Focus has a small engine. Folks used to a much higher initial torque engine might give the Focus engine a break.
Though if you came from driving small engine European cars, the Focus, in comparison has gobs of torque!! [neener]

#43 ·
I wonder if this might be whats up with mine... at times you can take off normally with no problem.. other times it bogs down.. unless you rev it a bit and slip the clutch... otherwise it feels like it falls flat on its face unless you stomp on the damn thing and get it revving up good.. I just figured it was a quirk with the drive by wire bullsh.. err stuff that i aint quite used to yet.. I still wish this thing had a cable driven throttle...

#44 ·
Well, I just did the update after work and it seems like that dead spot after taking off is smoothed out (the delay in throttle). My A/C always has been really good and it still didn't miss a beat so I'm not sure whether there is an improvement with that (maybe for some people who actually have problems with that?). It also feels like tip in/tip out low speed parking lot manoeuvres are smoother as well though I'm not a jerky driver to begin with.

My phone button, aux input button, and voice command button are now working again so it saved me from pulling my fuse. LOL.

As for Elizabeth, it doesn't burn tons of fuel on takeoff. LOL this isn't a JATO rocket strapped onto a C130 type update. Don't take such an extreme point of view to a simple thing! hahaha

#47 · (Edited)
Tip in is usually the application of throttle from at rest (Not pushing the pedal at all) to just a little application of the pedal (regular driving when pulling out). Basically when you get a tune on your car, that is one of the things a "good" tuner will do. It just "feels" better when pulling out normally.

Not sure if that is what they're calling it though.

#51 ·
I dropped the car off a little before 9 and got a call around 10:45 that it was done. But this included some other stuff they were doing, plus they were working on other customers' cars as well so I'm not sure when mine got into the garage. They made it sound like it was a 5 minute job when I picked the car up.

I think I spent longer discussing how they ordered one of the wrong accessories than it took them to flash the PCM. [rofl]

#53 ·
I would occasionally get some jerking in first gear- like I was releasing the clutch too fast and not giving it enough gas. There was even once or twice that I stalled it when I thought I was giving it a decent amount of gas while starting on flat ground.
I haven't noticed anything else really, but I only drove it from the dealership to work (~4 miles) so I might not have felt/heard/seen anything "bad" yet.

Also, take my comments with a large grain of salt. While I've driven friends' manuals for a couple years now (in other words, very little experience), this is my first manual and I've only had it for less than 3 weeks now! So part of all this could just be me not being a good enough driver yet. [rofl]

#56 ·
Getting this one done today

I dropped my car off today and told the techs I wanted this done as well as have them check out first gear since it was grinding for a week. They looked at me like I was crazy. They told me that there was no service that needed to be done on my car. I insisted that this TSB existed and even told them the number. They insisted that it didn't exist. My car was built 2/27/2012 long story short this went on for several minutes then they said "Oh it's a tsb and not a recall" [facepalm] YES that's what I've been saying..... what the math is wrong with these guys. They also told me that my transmission could be grinding from a rock getting wedged between the crossmember and the transmission housing. I guess they've seen it before but I might have to call shananigans.

#58 ·
They also told me that my transmission could be grinding from a rock getting wedged between the crossmember and the transmission housing. I guess they've seen it before but I might have to call shananigans.
Yesterday a service writer tried to tell my dad that the reason his '12 focus was low on oil was a new oil system that burned off whatever oil it didn't need.... so if your dip stick ever reads low... don't worry, it's just a new technology.
[facepalm] wow...

#59 ·
So i guess instead of buying the 5qt jug of mobil 1 and always having leftover oil that I have to store, I can just pour it all in and the engine will adjust itself to the proper level? [ffrocks] [facepalm] LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.