Focus Fanatics Forum banner

TSB 12B37 - New?

125K views 567 replies 136 participants last post by  ssn666hawkbill 
#1 ·
Etis shows a new outstanding field service action for my 2/12 build SEL and my wife's 9/11 build SE:

"12B37 - , AND THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) MODULE"

A search of FF turned up nothing for 12B37 and neither did a search of the web. I assume this is a new one as it wasn't showing on either vehicle the other day. It also doesn't show as a recall on the Ford Owners site.

Does anyone have any details on it?

Thanks

#342 ·
12b37

I had the latest update to my transmission already before having 12B37 done. I liked it much better before the update. The MFT is having problems now. Like someone in this POST said before. The info is now less. I used to get song titles scrolling and Street info in the Nav quadrant. Now I get niether after a full reset. Also the same phone that worked fine before (HTC Wildfire) now has problems. It doesn't want to connect. I have to tell it to connect every time I get in the car, and the bluetooth keeps dropping out. Also my car also now does the strange rollback thing after putting it in park. The car also still rolls backwards on a slight incline. This never bothered me before. It felt normal seeing how I understand the type of transmission used in this car. I thought the whole "recall" was to correct mainly this issue? It did not. I still have a rough idle or vibration at idle. I also liked how the car shifted better before. Now it's back to falling on it's face shifting too soon. I'm getting a little PO'd here. I was happy with it before. I get strongarmed into taking it in when it's fine, and now I'm unhappy. Doesn't FORD test these updates in the real world. IF YOU ARE HAPPY WITH YOUR CAR DO NOT GET THE NEW 12B37 update. This sucks. Neomi are you listening? I was also insulted by my dealer. They act like it's all in my head. I am a systems administrator for a living. I understand technology very well. I also asked that my A/C get checked, and the note on the SO says I had it set to 70 instead of MAX. Give me a [:)][:)][:)][:)][:)][:)]ing break. It was cooler that day and I didn't need it set to Max. The tech used that as an excuse to do nothing. I just wanted a set of guages connected to make sure the levels are correct. It's been struggling when it's 90+ degrees outside, and I had it set to MAX A/C!
I think this will be my LAST FORD. I don't have time to keep taking my brand new car back to the dealer over and over for the same issues.

#343 ·
Why won't anyone drive their car long enough for it to re-learn it's shift before bashing the update? I'm sorry you just got it done and it doesn't drive right. I got mine done abt 1000 miles ago and it is doing awesome!

Someone should do a post count and compare those who are raving about it vs. those who want to drive off a cliff. Then, for fun we could see how many initially complained but grew silent after a month...

#344 ·
Why won't anyone drive their car long enough for it to re-learn it's shift before bashing the update? I'm sorry you just got it done and it doesn't drive right. I got mine done abt 1000 miles ago and it is doing awesome!

Someone should do a post count and compare those who are raving about it vs. those who want to drive off a cliff. Then, for fun we could see how many initially complained but grew silent after a month...
That would be me. But that begs the question, how much benefit is there really to a "learning" transmission relative to the crap you gotta go through while it learns? We did just fine when trannies' shift points were set in stone at the factory and that was it. Just seems like one more of a number of technological "improvements" the auto manufacturers or the gov't forces on us that has unintended consequences. Like a rough first 1,000 miles....

#345 ·
I thought my car wasn't eligible for the 12B27 but I got the letter and had it done last week. Before, transmission was smooth and silky... since the re-flash, it's quite jerky when cold in the morning and when starting up from a dead stop.

So what is the "new learning" period after the re-flash? I mean, how many miles? My dealer gave it back to me without any explanation, and I wasn't bright enough to ask any questions! :)

#347 ·
I gave it time (about 1k), and my car is driving awesome. I truly believe that this is how we should have gotten them. On the other hand, I am also glad that Ford is still pushing to make the cars better than they were.

And Kam, we weren't doing just fine before the update. Your car may have been, but there were far more people complaining of the cars from the factory than there are currently complaining about the update. Just search the threads.

Ultimately, everyone has their own situation. I'm not trying to discount that. I'm simply saying that people should give it a chance first.

And get the MS3 motor mount! Like glass...

#353 ·
I do have 3.0, and when they did that install (coinciding with 12B37), that is when my drivers side wiper got all screwy and wouldn't park in the right spot.

The only issues that I have had since 3.0 with MFT is two random re-boots (once after the screen being black for about 10 mins), and the random Black Preset days. Luckily, I already know what buttons are what stations.

Oh, and my radio always forgets what station I left it on and always has to be changed in order to play. That meaning that I press the Radio button, and when the radio comes up there is no sound until I change the channel. Quite odd.[confused]

Edit: I had way more problems with MFT before the update. I have yet to have to pull a fuse since the change.

#358 ·
Thomas-

I am speaking generally, not just 12B37. I feel that Ford has been doing a good job at trying to improve the product for the end user.

Many people seem to feel (in my opinion) that the initial offering was half-baked, to include the automotive magazines. But it would appear that the majority are pleased with the direction Ford has been taking and how the car had been evolving.

I used beta-test as an analogy, but I am extremely pleased with my car.

#359 ·
I had 12B37 done about a week and a half ago on my SFE (no Sport mode of MFT). I've driven about 500-600 miles since. What I've noticed is the low-speed, low-rpm shudder is gone and shift points on gears 1-3 are much improved. Also, the hill holder brakes do engage nicely. Although it does seem to be at the cost of high speed shifting. I've noticed that if I have to get on the gas for highway merging or if I have to make a quick maneuver, the transmission isn't as responsive or smooth. It's almost like it takes longer for the tranny to make up its mind what it wants to do. I've driven stick shifts for the last 20+ years. What I'd like to see is a chart of the gear / RPM shift points before and after the software update. I'm used to getting RPM shift point recommendations in the owners manual on a new vehicle when I get a manual tranny, so this info has got to be out there somewhere.

Who knows, maybe it's just me.

#360 ·
I've noticed that if I have to get on the gas for highway merging or if I have to make a quick maneuver, the transmission isn't as responsive or smooth. It's almost like it takes longer for the tranny to make up its mind what it wants to do.
Ouch... that is the complete opposite of my experience with the update, and many other experiences I've read about. Usually the tranny responds much faster and with less user input than before the update. Maybe they only said they did the update... [idea] [:)]

Hopefully things will improve for you. It's frustrating having to deal with bad shift points.

#362 ·
Got mine done 2 days ago and initial impressions are:
Shuttering and vibrations at low gears are eliminated. Seems to be a bit more power and certainly smoother shifting when starting from zero. Shifting seems tighter. Not as much rolling backwards when letting off the brake.
I'm happy. Based on some jerks on this board, I thought the shuttering, noise and vibrations from the transmission were because I "didn't know how to drive" - - amazing what they can fix that now with a TSB update, isn't it? [/vindicated]

#365 ·
Well my car seems to have "reverted", and the transmission is performing poorly again. I don't understand how the car gets worse over time.The car almost literally feels like it is "jumping", or "lurching" forward with each shift. I also swear to god that outside air temperature affects shifting, as it seems to get worse the hotter it is outside.

#367 ·
AmishGuy91 said:
JesseE1981 said:
Well my car seems to have "reverted", and the transmission is performing poorly again. I don't understand how the car gets worse over time.The car almost literally feels like it is "jumping", or "lurching" forward with each shift. I also swear to god that outside air temperature affects shifting, as it seems to get worse the hotter it is outside.
Same as all the previous transmissions updates then...works great at first and then reverts back to previous behavior
Hmm, then something should be wrong with mine. Because after more than 2500 km after the FSA, I didn't see any "revert" at all. I will give it another 5000 km to see if what you say it's true. And don't worry, if it is not in 5000 km, I will wait another 10000 km. Everything for you to be happy !

#369 ·
Hmm, then something should be wrong with mine. Because after more than 2500 km after the FSA, I didn't see any "revert" at all. I will give it another 5000 km to see if what you say it's true. And don't worry, if it is not in 5000 km, I will wait another 10000 km. Everything for you to be happy !
No you're definitely right. There's absolutely nothing wrong with the transmission. Ford just releases a new update for it every few months just for the fun of it.

#371 · (Edited)
The transmission learns based on your driving habits in the first 1K miles or so. If you push it through a bunch of different scenario's (D, S, S+} and change it up often, it should be pretty good. Other Focus owners can attest to how my transmission acts superb.

Edited for kindergarten grammar. Stupid phone.

#374 ·
The transmission learns based on your driving habits in the first 1K miles or so. If you push it through a bunch of different scenario's (D, S, S+} and change it up often, it should be pottery good. Other Focus owners can attest to how well my transmission acts superb.
As far as I know, there is no need to do the 'learning procedure' after the transmission had this FSA. The 'transmission learning' has nothing to do with the way you or me drive, but with its mechanical components. Because it does not shift different because of the styles of driving. At least this is what I understand by "DCT learning" process. I don't know about a car who's so capable to learn to shift gears only from how hard or how light a driver presses the acceleration pedal. And usually, after a Full reset of the DCT, this one has to learn again its components, this is why it is a bit "harsh" at the begining and then become "smoother" in time and the number of miles. Not the other way arround, as you suggest. But hey, I might be wrong.

#372 ·
This ^^
This 12B37 is my second reflash of the tranny software. The first time I had the software re-installed, I drove my car in a ''conservative'' way when it was given back to me. I didnt see any real difference in the behavior of the tranny and to be honest, at that time, I still found it to be a bit jerky and unresponsive. However, after doing 12b37, I followed some of the suggestion left here and there in this forum and drove my car in a more ''sporty'' way once it was given back to me. I must admit, like I said before in many other posts, that my car now behave in a more responsive, fun and peppy way. The fuel economy is still there when I hit the highway and in city aswell, if I dont drive like an maniac :)

#377 ·
You are correct on the 1k miles. My dealership reset my car after the update, though it isn't required (had other issues). I would think that the learning process does have something to do with how it's driven just based on other members' feedback.
My assumption is that it learns on trial and error, but I don't know 100%. My car didn't shift 'hard', just kinda retarded. I don't mean to imply otherwise.
I just re-read my previous post, I sound like a moron. Thanks, Swype. Stupid phone.[smackbum]

#380 ·
Pretty well all automatics now are adaptive, but most are not the kind that learn the drivers habits. That Ford article stated: "Available on many North American vehicles", but not neccessarily the Focus. They would probably use it in advertising if it did that.

A TSB on the Focus stated "NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY". It doesn't say anything about the user driving habits, and all the tech literature on the DCT I've read suggests it doesn't apply to driving habits.

Since driving habits vary from user to user, that may be more likely for high end models like Licolns which have user stored profiles as a standard feature.

#404 ·
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits, except for some high end cars like BMWs and Cadillacs. It means learning the transmission shift and clutch thresholds, and the DCT in the Focus DEFINITELY does this:

"NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY"
The press release I provided the link to specifically says it "recognizes individual styles of driving (e.g., aggressive vs. Relaxed) and adapts transmission shift parameters accordingly..."
If this is real, then the ones complaining about the DCT becoming worse in time, should look more into their own driving style and not the DCT. Because as presented in the article you mention, the DCT has a predifined baseline then changes /'learns' as the driver uses it in trafic. So, if it runs worse than at the begining, it is because of the driving style the driver uses. And this is something really bad if the DCT acts like this, if you want my opinion. Because it implies that two persons who drive the same car, one Agressive and one Relaxed, will never be happy with it. I don't think Ford is THAT out of touch with the reality.
But again, as far as I know, there is no need to do an adaptive learning after this FAS. And this point I was discussing about...
Dealer service departments sure think it has adaptive learning. I was told when it was new and after 12B37 that a 1,000 mile "learning" period should be expected. One would think they would know.
ATC applies to "conventional" automatics. For example, this is from a 2010 Mustang owner's manual:

This vehicle is equipped with an Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy.
This Adaptive Transmission Control Strategy offers the optimal transmission operation and shift quality.
I did, but nothing linking without a doubt the Focus 2012 DCT to it. [:(]
I know. But there's nothing that says it isn't. I personally don't know either way, just putting it out there.

Neomi or Thomas, can you find out for us from Ford engineering???
Hey all -

I'm on it! [woot] The 2012 Focus does feature an adaptive learning process. It makes the transmission "customizable" to individual vehicles for better performance as well as fuel economy.

I hope this helps just a bit. I'll try to see if I can find a link in the coming days.

Later,

Thomas

#389 ·
Again, "adaptive learning" usually doesn't mean learning the driver's habits, except for some high end cars like BMWs and Cadillacs. It means learning the transmission shift and clutch thresholds, and the DCT in the Focus DEFINITELY does this:

"NOTE: PLEASE ADVISE THE CUSTOMER THAT THIS VEHICLE IS EQUIPPED WITH AN ADAPTIVE TRANSMISSION SHIFT STRATEGY WHICH ALLOWS THE VEHICLE'S COMPUTER TO LEARN THE TRANSMISSION'S UNIQUE PARAMETERS AND IMPROVE SHIFT QUALITY"

#390 ·
Just got my car back from the dealer. I brought it back for shudder at low speed after getting my update three weeks ago. When i had the update done three weeks ago it was a nightmare the car shifted to soon also. Dealer road tested my car after i left it there and confirmed the shudder. They called Ford and ford told them to do the adaptive learning process . I couldnt believe they had to do it now because they did the update three weeks before and i am sure the ADP should have been done a the time of the 12B37 update. Ford also advised them to change the clutch if i had any more problems with it.
When i drove home the car drove better but it was only down the road . I will keep you posted.[:)]

#405 ·
The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37 is VIN specific. If you haven't received a letter, then it won't apply to your car. If you have, please schedule an appointment with your dealer as soon as possible. Coverage for any vehicle damage that may result from the failure to have a service action performed on a timely basis can be affected.

To all customers which have received the letter and had 12B37 completed: If you're still experiencing issues (harsh shifting, noises, gears skipping, etc.), please send me a PM with your VIN & a brief description of your issue(s). I'll properly document this and forward to the correct rep as a group.

I'm here for you guys; I'm a Focus owner as well. While I haven't experienced any issues thus far, I completely understand the reliability and safety feedback you all have posted.

Respectfully,

Thomas

#408 ·
The Customer Satisfaction Program 12B37 is VIN specific. If you haven't received a letter, then it won't apply to your car.
There are a certain number of VINs that will not receive a letter, but DO require the update. My Focus was one of them, and there were at least a few others on the forum in the same situation.

You can check http://www.etis.ford.com/ and/or visit your dealer and have them enter your VIN into their system to see if you need the update.

#411 ·
This update fixed my issue. Car has so much more power now, and no stuttering.

Before I would have to drive carefully, barely pushing the accelerator. Sometimes if I wanted to merge into a highway or get out of a parking lot, if I pushed the gas down, it would not accelerate as much as it should have for a good 3-4 seconds, then it would kick in, then when I let go of the gas, it would shudder horrifically.

Just pulled out of a parking lot today, pushed the gas, good solid acceleration. No worries. Shifting is smooth, idle shaking of the vehicle is reduced (still shakes a little, I am a little worried about that but I guarantee my dealer will say nothing is wrong).

Finally can enjoy the car I bought 8 months ago.

#413 ·
I thought mine had power before 12B37, especially in passing vehicles, but after 12B37... it's a big improvement. the car still works marvelously with the transmission update, and I think the adaptive learning process was a positive factor as well.

Oh, there are occasional idle shudders, but nothing near how it was, and as this is an "automated manual transmission" rather than an "automatic transmission", I've read some of the issues afoot are not entirely abnormal. Or not to worry about and I've not. [:)]

#415 ·
Walked in the other day, told them that I had some problems with the transmission shuddering on low speed. They looked it up, saw the recall on a few things and they scheduled me in to get the upgrade done.

Just got it back and the ride seems smoother. I'm going to give it a few days to see how it goes with the adaptive learning, but so far I like the responsiveness of the car after the upgrade.

#416 ·
I liked it after the update. Now about 800 miles after the update, it seems worse than it was before the update. Everyone talking about more power, I feel like I have less power. Unless I drive granny style, it's a pain in the ass. I usually drive mostly highway, however the other day was driving in the city, and it was an awful experience.

And when in reverse, I have to give it a lot of gas for it to even budge. After putting it in drive, I then start to sputter out of the parking lot.

Runs much better in 'S' than Drive. Maybe I "learned" it wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.