Focus Fanatics Forum banner

2012 Ford Focus: 1 year, 6,000 miles, 6,000 electrical problems later :)

13K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
This will be a little rant/review/praise of my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the various problems I've had with it in the hopes someone at Ford Customer service will see it. This June will be a full year since I've taken ownership of the car. Up until recently, I did not use my car for commuting hence such the relatively low mileage before I get into all the details, I will let you all know I am currently considering filing a Lemon dispute but I have not had a lot of the problems others have had i.e. the steering wheel issue, the grinding gear issue etc 99% of all my problems have been electrical.

I'll start off with the praises:

I do really want to love this car, for the price I paid and everything that is included with the car I don't think I can beat it which is why I chose it. The ride is relatively smooth, I get compliments on the car all the time. I chose every package except the technology package in which it parks itself because well I think it's totally pointless with the exception of a back-up camera... but let's be real thats not worth a grand. I love the MyFord Touch system despite all it's problems(we'll get to that a little bit later), I think the Navigation is by far amongst the best I've ever seen regardless of portable or in-dash. I don't use Sync all that often but when it works it's really good. I love the stock 19" rims on the car, the color is beautiful, and the interior design is relatively nice(there are a few things here and there that look like half-assed job but what can you do).

Now the cons: I have the handling package, so getting 40mpg is unrealistic but I'm getting 21/23 mpg tops, with a slight mixture of highway/city. It doesn't matter whether I was using regular or premium gasoline, mileage is the same while again I understand the bigger wheels/rims will affect mpg... I don't think it'd be this severe, but I could be wrong?

Now onto the one thing that has seen my car head back into the dealer for something that is not an oil change... the electrical.

First, I have had my PCIM(? I think or TCIM) module replaced twice, for those that may not know this is essentially the "computer" to MyFord Touch. I've had two black screens of death. My first black screen of death was literally after only one week of ownership of the car. The second black screen of death was more recently, I received the new update from Ford in the mail, I go to do the update myself and mid-update boom another black screen of death, another trip to the dealer, and a new PCIM module.

Now my third trip to the dealer, my car had to be towed back to the dealership. On my way back to work from lunch in the middle of the highway, my car's gauges kept turning on and off, the air conditioner would turn on by itself, I was unable to close or open the windows, essentially it looked like my electrical system was frying. I get back to work and luckily I am able to close the open window as it was going to rain, I try to turn the car back on and it won't start. I work for a trucking company, so some of my truck drivers helped me check the battery and the fuses and everything seemed ok. From there I call my dealer who tells me to call road service. The tow truck guy comes and he simply goes into the car and turns on the car as if nothing just like always no? haha.

Anyways, me and the two truck driver(real nice guy and Focus Fanatic =]) decide it's best to just two the car down anyways to be safe. This was two days ago. Today, I finally get a call from my dealership. Apparently, they ordered a part to replace something with my fuse box, I also need to drive back down to the dealership to drop off my second key so they can re-program it. Mind you I am about 30-35 mins out from the dealership, and there is a toll on the way down. The money I spent on tolls and gas adds up to a pretty penny.

Anyways, long story short I'm talking it over with my family and we are planning filing a Lemon Law dispute. Now whether it goes anywhere, who knows, but it's worth a shot.

With that being said, I still love this car and I want to be able to love it I doubt everyone will have the same problems I've had, but my 2000 VW Golf with over 100,000 miles is currently outlasting my 2012 Ford Focus with under 7,000 miles and that's something I just cannot accept from a new car. I'm posting this on the forum to hopefully get someone from Ford to take a look, and for those interested in the car to see both the Good, the bad, and the ugly of this car in which I have so much of a love/hate relationship with. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.

See less See more
#3 ·
This will be a little rant/review/praise of my 2012 Ford Focus Titanium and the various problems I've had with it in the hopes someone at Ford Customer service will see it. This June will be a full year since I've taken ownership of the car....
Now the cons: I have the handling package, so getting 40mpg is unrealistic but I'm getting 21/23 mpg tops, with a slight mixture of highway/city...
Now onto the one thing that has seen my car head back into the dealer for something that is not an oil change...the electrical...
I'm posting this on the forum to hopefully get someone from Ford to take a look...
Hello cappa,

Thanks for posting your concern. I'll be more than happy to escalate this to the Customer Service Manager for your area. In order to do so, please send a PM with your contact information, dealer name/state, approximate mileage, and VIN.

My partner Jaclyn will answer questions and concerns regarding MyFordTouch. Her handle is: FordIVTteam. Shoot her a PM as well.

Take care and have a great weekend!

Noemi

#5 ·
thanks, yep I got my car in June pretty sure same time as yours... I only have 6,500 miles :X

Here's the update, my car was sitting at the dealership for a week. Apparently, they replaced the PCIM module(for the third time) as well as the fuse junction box. I've now been to the dealer 4/5 different times for something other than an oil change. My complaint to Ford worked, they did send an engineer to the dealership to take a look at the car but I have not received that paperwork yet. The paperwork from the dealership was 6 pages long though... lol.

I'm going to look around different attorneys see what I can do about filing a lemon.

#10 ·
It's a shame the car was put out so prematurely. Mine's by and large solid, with the exception of the occasional DCT rumble that is said to be 'normal' but may or may not be. (I still do worry about long-term issues such as premature transmission gear replacement, etc, but that's just an emotion...)

And it is a new generation of car, with the new style engine, DCT, et cetera... the improvements do outweigh the cons in this vehicle and even the DCT, noise aside, is much nicer than the old style 4-speed automatic.

Still, in five years when we upgrade to the next Focus, those issues will be dealt with and likely will be resolved long before we all upgrade to the next version. But it is rather nice that Ford is swallowing the cost on this and not ditching customers. Cars aren't quite the level of cheap computer tablets just yet.

#12 ·
I couldn't imagine looking at Ford's warranty expense sheet for the 2012 Focus. I think everyone that has owned one has had theirs in the shop at least once. And many on here 6-10 times.

As far as the lemon law, depending on your state, it has to be in the shop 3 times for the same failure with no resolution, or total of 30 consecutive days without resolution.

#13 ·
Love my Focus, But.....

I have a 2012 Focus and this is my third Focus. I love the gas mileage and the convenience and ease of driving. I live in my RV and travel all over the US so any problems and I usually end up going to a dealer that is new to me.

I bought it in March and in June it began having problems. While driving the radio and A/C would just turn on. I'd get an error message in the little window that said "Hill Start Assist Not Available"-while driving down the highway. At times it wouldn't start but after waiting awhile it would. Sometimes I can't unlock/lock the doors/hatchback and sometimes the alarm goes off and the only way to silence it is by putting the key in the ignition. When I turn the car off it resets the odometer, fuel efficiency readout, time traveled, and distance to empty. One time after filling it up it took at least 10 minutes for the fuel gauge to register.

The first dealer (Washington) I took it to, after talking with Ford, said they didn't know what was wrong and took all the computer connections apart and put them back together hoping that would solve it. They actually had it twice. Next dealer (Idaho)-I had to have it towed there as it just would not start-decided the battery was dead and replaced it with a new battery. I'm next traveling to California so hopefully it won't happen again but if it does it will be yet another dealer. I've already spent about $200 in fuel and motels to deal with this. I am alone and over 70 so having a car that I can't count on is very stressful. I've had 8 Ford products and loved them all but I just don't know what to do now.

#15 ·
I bought it in March and in June it began having problems. While driving the radio and A/C would just turn on. [...] Sometimes I can't unlock/lock the doors...
Same issues here. Ever find anything out with the A/C turning on for no reason at all? I think there's a BCM update for the intermittent IA issues if you have a Ti.

#14 ·
2012 Focus SE, 5200 miles. Electrical systems suddenly failed (all instruments, turn signals, lights, etc.), wipers went berserk, etc. without hint of warning. Suspect same issue as others report here. Dealer is replacing "body control module." Not optimistic based on what is posted here. Has anyone resolved these problems successfully?

#21 ·
...They corrected that and so far no more problems...
I apologize for missing this thread before, rvretirement. I’m very happy the dealer took care of you. [cheers]

I just bought my 2012 focus in november and with little over 6000 miles one day I went to go to work and it wouldn't go in reverse so I put it in drive and it would only go 10mph...
aljm1373,

Welcome to the forum! I can lend a hand by arranging a call from your regional customer service manager. For me to do this, please send a PM with your best daytime phone number, full name, approximate mileage, dealer name/state, and VIN.

...Suspect same issue as others report here...
Same issues here...
PratoN & mfandetti,

I’m interested to know if either of you are still experiencing a concern. If so, please PM me with the details I listed above.

...Hopefully the dealer tech can find and correct what may be a simple problem.
Thanks for helping, Kabigon; I like seeing the community support. [:)]

Cory

#18 ·
focus

I just bought my 2012 focus in november and with little over 6000 miles one day I went to go to work and it wouldn't go in reverse so I put it in drive and it would only go 10mph had the road side service take it to a dealer and when it got there they told me nothing was wrong with it, said I must have put it in manual mode, now I didn't think I was stupid but don't you have to shift it down to the s to drive it in standard mode( which I did not do). So they basically said I don't know how to drive. so I picked my car up the next day and 2 days later I went to go to start it and the engine light is on I call the service department and says "o its ok to drive we can look at it tomorrow". I will be a week tomorrow and they haven't told me what is exactly wrong with it. A friend was telling me tonight that I should contact ford and tell them I want my money back or a different car. and seriously I don't think I want another one of these cars if the transmission is going to go with only 6000 miles on it. He said he had a chevy that the transmission went at 14000 miles and he contacted someone and he got his money back and bought a dodge. any advice on what I should do????

#19 ·
I just bought my 2012 focus in november and with little over 6000 miles one day I went to go to work and it wouldn't go in reverse so I put it in drive and it would only go 10mph had the road side service take it to a dealer and when it got there they told me nothing was wrong with it, said I must have put it in manual mode, now I didn't think I was stupid but don't you have to shift it down to the s to drive it in standard mode( which I did not do). So they basically said I don't know how to drive. so I picked my car up the next day and 2 days later I went to go to start it and the engine light is on I call the service department and says "o its ok to drive we can look at it tomorrow". I will be a week tomorrow and they haven't told me what is exactly wrong with it. A friend was telling me tonight that I should contact ford and tell them I want my money back or a different car. and seriously I don't think I want another one of these cars if the transmission is going to go with only 6000 miles on it. He said he had a chevy that the transmission went at 14000 miles and he contacted someone and he got his money back and bought a dodge. any advice on what I should do????
It sounds like your problems are electrical rather than mechanical so I wouldn't worry so much about the transmission itself.

I believe your satisfaction with the car will be based on the quality of the dealer service dept.
Unfortunately, someone at your dealer doesn't seem to understand that the transmission will upshift and downshift by itself even when in manual mode.

Hopefully the dealer tech can find and correct what may be a simple problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.