Focus Fanatics Forum banner

1000 Miles On two Tanks (Average Speed 71 MPH)

12K views 126 replies 46 participants last post by  thenorm 
#1 ·
Well...... Almost Two Fills aswell LOL Had to put a gallon in after running out of gas at 496 Miles!!!

Thanks for the Picture... and the Thumb

Moved up to North MD this week and here are my awesome results.

Total Trip 988.8 Miles
Total Driving Time 13:49:34
Average MPG 39.6 First Tank (regular)- 40.4 Second Tank (93 Octane 2 Traffic Limited)

Mods: 2.0 Duratec Obx Headers (Yes they fit...) with Custom 2.5" Flex Pipe (No Catalytic Converter) 2.5" Borla Exhaust. Removed K&N CAI (the one ive been testing) for stock Box and K&N Drop in. H&R 1.5" Lowering springs. Gapped Spark Plugs .060 instead of .044.

Some more Pictures.

With Premium 93 Octane I was running 75+ at 41+ MPG which is Much higher then 40.4 on regular at 73 mph. Premium Only for me Now!

Enjoy!

See less See more
#5 ·
It has gradually gone up but the biggest gas mileage adders were modifying the exhaust system. Full Race systems open it up so much that i went from 31-32 at 75 to 40+

#18 ·
That is nuts. Wonder how much the mods helped, our cars likely run rich from the factory.

I'm not interested in I/E but I kinda want to regap the plugs for [:)][:)][:)][:)] sake.

Where in MD? I am a MDer, welcome.
The warm weather has really opened up the MPG's for me. A 70mph cruise got me 35 mpg in the winter, and now the same 70 mph gets me 40-41 mpg. I have almost 9000 miles on the clock now as well. City is now 33mpg under light acceleration...

And whats-his-face wants to trade in a focus for a Prius C? what a waste.

#8 ·
Well...... Almost Two Fills aswell LOL Had to put a gallon in after running out of gas at 496 Miles!!!
What did your "Distance to E" say when you ran out?

With Premium 93 Octane I was running 75+ at 41+ MPG which is Much higher then 40.4 on regular at 73 mph. Premium Only for me Now!
It'll probably still be cheaper dollar wise to get the 87 octane and take the slight economy hit. 8% price increase for premium versus 2% economy hit for regular!

So its normal that I am consuming 27mpg now and I should expect it to increase as I get mileage?
Some have reported drastic gains in economy, at 1700 miles I've see it go up maybe 2 mpg. Same as the previous new car I bought.

#14 ·
Not mad, when I went up to steeda last month, on my way back I was avg'ing about 38+ and my range to empty was saying like 430. I didnt push it though. I filled up after driving about 350 miles

#21 ·
My cars are Florida registered and will stay Florida registered. Since I own a home in Florida. My 05 f150 5.4 with long tubes passes inspection every year. When you own a shop its not hard to swap off road pipes for catalytic pipes when the time comes. Also my shop is a PennDOT certified shop so we do our inspections here...

#24 ·
Your forgetting global warming!!! [drummer]

Cough....

If you think the climate change is caused from vehicles you need some serious and I mean serious help... Stop believing the people that are making millions from spouting that nonsense.[bash]

#26 ·
Its a great car man I honestly love the new focus considering I have owned every gen focus I must say this thing is very close to a master piece for me.

#38 ·
Everything is or is made of something that is transported across the ocean. Do you think those huge ships have cats on them? No they don't, have ever seen the size of the pistons? One stroke and cycle of those motors probably put out more pollution than FocusBoy's car does in one year. Ever who post in this thread complaining about him not having a cat should use the search button. It's been beat to death, it's the owner of the cars personal choice to use the cat or not.

#39 ·
It might be a personal choice, however it is still in violation of the law, and should some one feel so inclined they could report you to the relevant authorities. Its a $2500 dollar fine per tampering violation, at least per vehicle, and up to $25000 per occurance if its done by a shop, (which FocusBoy says he either owns or works out of). If you're comfortable enough to talk about it, and are saying that it has a large economy benefit at the expense of polution go right ahead, but don't come crying for help if/ when the government finds out.

Yes shipping is a dirty business, but if everyone removed the catylast from their car then the sum total of pollution would still be far higher, especially in California where the mountains tend to trap the smog in the basin, hence their desire for ever more stringent emissions controls for everything and anything.

#41 ·
Once again, I am all for trying to prevent pollution, but Fox News has it right when they point out that regardless of what we do, China is polluting more than we ever have, and that's a fact. Great to see the OP getting that mileage, and rest assured, China owns us (we owe them trillions of dollars) and maybe the environmentalist will be glad to know that once they are the worlds superpower, they will force us all into cattle cars to commute, so they can all drive whatever they want.
Posted via FF Mobile

#46 ·
Once again, I am all for trying to prevent pollution, but Fox News has it right when they point out that regardless of what we do, China is polluting more than we ever have, and that's a fact.
Might be just a slight exageration but generally agreed: China = bad. Wikipedia says they emitted 30% more CO2 than us in 2008 but that skyrocketed to 50% more in 2010. By now they could be double and it's growing every day. And that's just what we know about and can measure.....

#55 ·
As is not too uncommon, the discussion has veered a bit. I think the original reference to Nancy Pelosi was her preaching the gospel of global warming, etc. while flying more-or-less by herself in a jet aircraft, as apparently was her privilege as Speaker of the House. It's hard to argue this is not hypocritical, but it is also not typical of the population at large.

While modern aircraft are exceptionally efficient, I think it's true that an economical car, especially one with more than a single passenger, is more efficient on a fuel/passenger mile basis.

#57 ·
Mods: 2.0 Duratec Obx Headers (Yes they fit...) with Custom 2.5" Flex Pipe (No Catalytic Converter) 2.5" Borla Exhaust. Removed K&N CAI (the one ive been testing) for stock Box and K&N Drop in. H&R 1.5" Lowering springs. Gapped Spark Plugs .060 instead of .044.

On a more interesting note than all the environment debate, so you're telling that prior years headers will fit 2012 engine? Any mod to them or fairly bolt-on?

Don't know much about focus yet, used to mod crown vics :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.