Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Speaker rattle

8K views 33 replies 22 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 ·
Well, I'm otherwise content with my Focus, minus this issue. When I have the volume at a medium level (13,14) I get a rattle coming from my speaker enclosures. How do I fix this, or should I just take it in and let the dealer take care of it?

#3 ·
I thought I read in another thread on here that one owner in particular had faulty or incorrectly installed door panel clips, or something along those lines. If it is definately reproduceable your dealer is probably the best bet.

#6 ·
Yeah I had that problem like crazy for a while, it's partially a sympathetic vibration and the low quality of the speakers, especially in the base speaker package. I found that going into the "menu" and going down the the second option, then down the "occupancy" settings and taking it out of "driver" will help alot. For some reason the "driver" occupancy setting over-boosts the audio, also messing with the "EQ" setting in the menu listing, right below "occupancy" can help. Other than that I suggest a little sound foam. I think taking it to the dealer will only yield a waste of time.

#7 ·
My rattle in the passenger door speaker vicinity appears to be due to engine vibration since it starts around 45-50mph regardless of the radio status. I also have another one near the passenger door reflector that happens over bumps.

There've been numerious posts about passenger door rattles. Sounds like most have had success getting them fixed by the dealer.

I guess this is a slightly different issue though if you guys are saying that all speakers rattle...

#10 ·
OK, I've decided that I will give the "Occupancy" trick a try, and if I can't figure it out from there, I'll take it in to the dealer. Probably should mention this is the Sync system on an SE.

#13 ·
Ahh I'm not sure if and how to do the trick in Sync.

Paul, that's what I thought they would say/do. That's why I suggested a little sound foam around the speaker, that might cut down on the vibration. I know Crutchfield offers there foam buckets that protect speakers from moisture, those should be perfect because they go between the door frame and the speaker. Or just glue a couple of foam blocks to the back of the door trim, if you can figure out locations where pressing on the door can stop the rattle.

#11 ·
I wish you good luck getting the rattles fixed. I have rattles in all my doors at different pitches of mid-range and bass. The dealer's standard response, in my case, is to take the door panel off, replace the speaker, and put it back on without fixing the real issue despite the fact that you can stop the rattle by pressing on the door.

#14 ·
...When I have the volume at a medium level (13,14) I get a rattle coming from my speaker enclosures...
It's occurring at lower volumes too, namely in the driver door speaker...
Mine does this all the time too mainly at low levels....
Yeah I had that problem like crazy for a while...I think taking it to the dealer will only yield a waste of time.
I definitely have/had a door rattle because of the stereo...
...I have rattles in all my doors at different pitches of mid-range and bass...
My rattle in the passenger door speaker vicinity appears to be due to engine vibration...I guess this is a slightly different issue though if you guys are saying that all speakers rattle...
Hello all,

Let's get these rattles taken care of (I feel as if though I'm confiscating a baby's toy, lol). Send me a PM with the VIN, current mileage, personal and dealer contact info and I'll have the Customer Service Manager review your concern.

Take care and have an AWESOME weekend!

Noemi

#15 ·
I had my dealer check on a rattle issue when I brought it in. I queued up one particular audio file that reproduced the rattle. I was told by the dealer that I needed to lower my base. My base is set at 2 in my EQ settings with my treble set on 4. I don't think this is the reason for rattling since it is only up +2 from base setting.

#16 ·
I am having a rattling problem too, even at low volume. I even went as far as to play a frequency sweep from 5-100hz to demonstrate the problem. The mechanic at the dealer just said he didn't hear anything. There was clearly a change in the sound when I pressed on the speaker grille, but I couldn't get him to notice it -- he just said bass will cause vibration. He also seemed completely perplexed by the sound I was playing and kept asking what it was. So I gave up for now.

#20 ·
Speaker Rattle

All, I also have the rattle. I believe I've pinpointed it though. The storage cubby in the door. The bottom of the cubby is a separate piece of plastic from the vertical outer most panel. There is a gap between the bottom of the cubby and the vertical that rattles when there are low frequencies coming through the speaker. When I pushed to open the space between the panels the rattle went away. I wedged a thin piece of rubber in the gap and the rattle is gone. Hope this helps.

#23 ·
That's pretty much what I've gotten from my dealer so far...

"We can't hear anything - move along, nothing to see here."

I agree, it's really annoying... and I pretty much always hear the rattle above 45-50 MPH in the right front door area.

#24 ·
The story that I basically have come to is that the dealer is afraid to do anything about it in fear of getting rejected on their claim to the mothership. I'm going to open a ticket with ford corp and see if they will authorize some resources to get it fixed instead of giving me the run around.

#28 ·
Any updates to this? I have the same problem. It is only on certain bass levels too. It makes the sound quality horrible. My bass is already low enough and I sometimes shift the sound to the right speaker to make it better.
It is the same as everyone says. There is a gap in the door panel storage area. When I press or pull on it and hold..... there is no rattle.
I've tried putting something in the storage and it doesn't help.
I refuse to "wedge" something in anywhere... that is a crap fix for a quality car. I never take it into the dealer because I don't want to have to try to reproduce the sound......
It is a little thing that is truly stopping me from enjoying the sound in my car, which is a very important thing to me.
I'll try to change my EQ settings, etc but I would love to know if anyone got anywhere with this? I see no solution.

#34 ·
...I never take it into the dealer because I don't want to have to try to reproduce the sound...
Hi TheDude1980,

Have you considered taking your service tech along on a test drive so you can reproduce the sound? Additionally, I'm happy to bring this to the attention of your regional customer service manager so they can assist. Just send me a PM with your VIN, preferred servicing dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Let me know if you have any questions.

Crystal

#30 ·
I just noticed mine started doing this, and this is my plan too.

#31 ·
Mine has been rattling since I picked it up in December. The other day I FINALLY figured out where it's coming from: where the bottom of the door panel meets the metal of the door. The plastic butts up against it not very tightly with no intermediate material. I could always get the rattle to go away by pressing against the door but I thought it was a clip inside or something. I think I'm going to install some kind of thin weather stripping or the like.

BTW, I also got blown off by my dealer. Common theme anyone?[thumbd]

#33 ·
Mine has been rattling since I picked it up in December. The other day I FINALLY figured out where it's coming from: where the bottom of the door panel meets the metal of the door. The plastic butts up against it not very tightly with no intermediate material. I could always get the rattle to go away by pressing against the door but I thought it was a clip inside or something. I think I'm going to install some kind of thin weather stripping or the like.
I also pinpointed a rattle here. Maybe I'll try the same fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.