Getting nice results with Scangauge II - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply




 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93729
Location: RSVL, AR
What I Drive: 2012, Red Candy, Focus SE

Posts: 322
Points 1,136, Level 18
Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18 Points: 1,136, Level: 18
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: -1 Visioned Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Getting nice results with Scangauge II

I got my Scangauge II in yesterday, and let me say if you don't have one.. I highly recommend it. I have already improved 1mpg (city driving) in less than 2 hours of having it installed. I didn't think the thing would pay for itself like the company says but I believe now. It costs double than the Ultragauge but I didn't like the negatives on this forum about it draining battery, so I didn't take the chance.

Anyway, what I've learned is when you have a steady foot on a relatively smooth city highway without a lot of stopping, the car @ 40mph gets 48mpg average. I am going to test the highway portion today to see what the best speed above 50mph should be.

In the city:

Acceleration from a stop in first gear (auto) nets around 7mpg average.
Acceleration in 2nd gear usually averages 13-15mpg.
Acceleartion in 3rd will put it up to 25mpg.
And fourth gear will get you 30+ and long range without stops will easily get you 45+ mpg.

The thing really teaches you how to get the best mpg out of your car (since you are eyeballing it most of the time). I am hoping to up my city average to 35+ from 29.

Its super easy to program the x-gauge feature and I had no problems cycling through to get to where I want. I have not tried the tank trip feature because I am far away from another fillup.

The only downside is with the Focus OBDII cover, it doesn't snap on to the rest of the dash, its kind of attached to the dash and doesn't come off. I can live with it just hanging down as its not really in the way of much. If anyone has a better idea then I'm all for it.

Routing the Scangauge is easy if you put it right below your gas/temp gauge, you can simply stuff the remaining wire below the steering wheel. Anyway, I'll post more feedback on the highway mileage later on.


Visioned is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-05-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bliky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95135
Location: Florham Park, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

Posts: 515
Points 3,683, Level 38
Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Bliky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I might actually be looking into getting one of these. It sounds like it almost coaches you on getting better gas mileage. My only gripe is I feel like the screen is too small. Of course, I'd like something with a bigger screen like the UltraGauge but I know it doesnt work for the focus.
Bliky is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:27 AM   #3
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95807
Location: Ventura, CA
What I Drive: 2008 matrix

Posts: 18
FF Reputation: 1 focusnfuture Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Can you take a pic of it installed in your car? I'd like to see how it looks installed. Thx
focusnfuture is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:31 AM   #4
Focus Addict
 
DougC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86547
Location: York, PA
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

Posts: 610
Points 1,139, Level 18
Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 DougC Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
....Of course, I'd like something with a bigger screen like the UltraGauge but I know it doesnt work for the focus.
I've had my Ultra-Gauge installed in my SE since I picked it up in August. It works just fine and hasn't caused me a single issue.
DougC is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Focus Enthusiast
 
Bliky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 95135
Location: Florham Park, NJ
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Focus Titanium

Posts: 515
Points 3,683, Level 38
Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38 Points: 3,683, Level: 38
Level Up 22% Completed
Level up: 22% Level up: 22% Level up: 22%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 5 Bliky Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
I've had my Ultra-Gauge installed in my SE since I picked it up in August. It works just fine and hasn't caused me a single issue.
Really? I had read on both the UltraGauge website and on a topic here that it stays on even if the car is off and totally drains the battery of the car.

Here's the topic: Ultra Gauge Install
Bliky is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Focus Addict
 
DougC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Fan#: 86547
Location: York, PA
What I Drive: 2014 Honda Accord Sport 6MT

Posts: 610
Points 1,139, Level 18
Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18 Points: 1,139, Level: 18
Level Up 39% Completed
Level up: 39% Level up: 39% Level up: 39%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 0 DougC Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliky View Post
Really? I had read on both the UltraGauge website and on a topic here that it stays on even if the car is off and totally drains the battery of the car.

Here's the topic: Ultra Gauge Install
I've read that thread and I have no idea what issue they are suffering from. All I can say is that my Ultra-Gauge has been hooked up to me Focus since mid-August and has been flawless. And yes, this inculdes having the vehicle sit for multiple days without being driven.
DougC is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visioned View Post
I got my Scangauge II in yesterday, and let me say if you don't have one.. I highly recommend it. I have already improved 1mpg (city driving) in less than 2 hours of having it installed. I didn't think the thing would pay for itself like the company says but I believe now. It costs double than the Ultragauge but I didn't like the negatives on this forum about it draining battery, so I didn't take the chance.

Anyway, what I've learned is when you have a steady foot on a relatively smooth city highway without a lot of stopping, the car @ 40mph gets 48mpg average. I am going to test the highway portion today to see what the best speed above 50mph should be.

In the city:

Acceleration from a stop in first gear (auto) nets around 7mpg average.
Acceleration in 2nd gear usually averages 13-15mpg.
Acceleartion in 3rd will put it up to 25mpg.
And fourth gear will get you 30+ and long range without stops will easily get you 45+ mpg.

The thing really teaches you how to get the best mpg out of your car (since you are eyeballing it most of the time). I am hoping to up my city average to 35+ from 29.

Its super easy to program the x-gauge feature and I had no problems cycling through to get to where I want. I have not tried the tank trip feature because I am far away from another fillup.

The only downside is with the Focus OBDII cover, it doesn't snap on to the rest of the dash, its kind of attached to the dash and doesn't come off. I can live with it just hanging down as its not really in the way of much. If anyone has a better idea then I'm all for it.

Routing the Scangauge is easy if you put it right below your gas/temp gauge, you can simply stuff the remaining wire below the steering wheel. Anyway, I'll post more feedback on the highway mileage later on.

i installed my scanguage BEHIND the obdII door and routed the wire up under the dash.. i then mounted w/ velcro , the scanguage atop the soft flexible steering wheel housing just under the center gauges. I can now close the obdII door and all looks nice and tidy and factory-ish.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #8
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Fan#: 95912
Location: So Cal, CA
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

Posts: 79
Points 143, Level 2
Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2 Points: 143, Level: 2
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
i installed my scanguage BEHIND the obdII door and routed the wire up under the dash.. i then mounted w/ velcro , the scanguage atop the soft flexible steering wheel housing just under the center gauges. I can now close the obdII door and all looks nice and tidy and factory-ish.


I have tried two different cables, and both connectors are too large to allow the door to close when plugged into the OBDII plug.

Did you detach the factory cable from the back of the OBDII plug?
SpinKix is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #9
-----<M>-----
 
kam327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Fan#: 94700
Location: Tampa, FL
What I Drive: '14 Ruby Ti w/ Handling Pkg

Posts: 2,601
Points 8,386, Level 61
Points: 8,386, Level: 61 Points: 8,386, Level: 61 Points: 8,386, Level: 61
Level Up 79% Completed
Level up: 79% Level up: 79% Level up: 79%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 15 kam327 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
So what is the Focus's most economical speed with the DCT?
kam327 is online now  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #10
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
I've read that thread and I have no idea what issue they are suffering from. All I can say is that my Ultra-Gauge has been hooked up to me Focus since mid-August and has been flawless. And yes, this inculdes having the vehicle sit for multiple days without being driven.
i have my scan gauge in my '12 sel since august and it never drains the battery and as i usually ride my bike to work, or walk, my car can go a week or more w/o using it.. As well, i've gone on vacation where the car sits in the garage for a month and NO battery drain at all.

This was the same situation w/ my '01 focus.. no battery problems.. scangauge goes to sleep a few seconds after the car's shut down.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
What I Drive
Year, color, and model of your car. Example: 2003 Pitch Black ZX3
Name
Your real name.
City
State
Country
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:17 PM.


Copyright 2002-2015 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Mazda CX-3, Audi S3, Mazda MX-5 Miata and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus, Focus ST and Focus RS related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. If you own other makes have a look at Challenger Hellcat Forum, Charger Hellcat Forum, Cadillac ATS-V Forum, Cadillac ATS Forum, Cadillac CTS-V Forum, Lexus RC-F Forum, Lexus GS-F Forum, Mercedes GLA Forum, Mercedes GLE Forum, Civic Type-R Forum and Volvo XC90 Forum.





Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1