Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Caliper covers

11K views 26 replies 22 participants last post by  suss6052 
#1 ·
I really wanted to have my calipers painted red, but can't do it myself and haven't been able to find a body shop near my office who will do it for me either.

Then I found these covers:

http://www.carid.com/2012-ford-focus-caliper-covers/mgp-332024.html

$200 is a whole lot more than the $40 for the paint, even with paying someone labor on top of that. So I'm a little daunted by the cost.

Opinions??

See less See more
#4 ·
How long can the paint last? Just wondering if these would have a longer life span that would negate the cost/time to paint and repaint. Anybody have an idea of why these will only fit on the 17" wheels and larger? Do they actually stick out past the edges of the caliper?

#8 ·
The red paint on my old grand am lasted for the three years I had it. The hardest part is keeping them clean, because the brake dust is even worse on the calipers than the wheels (makes sense). No peeling or chipping. The key is cleaing them thouroughly before paint, and use a high temp primer and of course, high temp paint. Also see if a body shop will powder coat them. Sometimes those that wont paint them will do powder coat. PLus powder coat will probably last 20 years, although its about as expensive as those covers.

And yeah, the covers are not pretty in person. The paint/powder covers the whole assembly, making it look complete.

#9 ·
Might have bought these at $100.00, but now won't consider it even at that price. Thanks for the heads up.

#6 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have never seen them in person, myself. Appreciate the warning, misfire!

I could paint mine, but would have to invest in 4 jack stands which I'd never use again. Maybe I could sell them I guess. Would also need a weekend in which I don't need to drive anywhere. That's a tough one.

But the responses here are making me lean away from the covers. Thanks again guys.

#11 ·
Use the jack that comes with your car and do one at a time. Just dont put yourself under the car and put the wheel back on once the "ok to touch" time has elapsed. Then just go onto the next caliper.

I have 4 jack stands and I still only used 2 at a time as the front calipers are a little different than the rear ones and it made sense to do like with like. Also, I painted them at 6PM and took a test drive at 9PM. The paint said i needed more time but I couldn't get it to smudge with my finger and ceramic cures better with heat so I didn't see any harm. That was 3 months ago and they have looked great since. You could of course just goto bed and drive it in the morning.

#10 ·
Don't ever buy covers; not for $20 and definitely not for $200. These things can fall off, a good paint-job cant. Also you wont fool anyone into thinking that your car has 4 piston calipers, you'll just come off as a tool. My advice, step back and think for a minute what else you could do with $200. Kindle fire? Tint job? Happy ending? Your choice of course, but I think this a waste of two Benjamin's.

#13 ·
i helped my gpa install these on his Mustang a while back. their not that bad but i still probably wouldnt get them. i dont think they come off as Brembo knockoffs... its not like they have Brembo anywhere on it nor are they detailed to be as such. now these on the other hand... oh yeah... fake, wanna be, wishes-he-had-them Brembo brake covers are:

besides they make them in other colors. from the website i'd say you can get them in just about any color you desire and you can get whatever you want engraved in them. if you want orange with an SVT, SE, 2.0L logo even your name...whatever.. they'll make it for you. IMO, they're not all that bad as being made out to be but still not my preference. up to you though!

#20 ·
My brother has done his in yellow on a black car AWESOME...
I've done all my car with paint kit bought on Ebay and it's perfect. You juste have to do one wheel at the time. One Jack is enough. I did my last one Black with Sline logo it was Nice but RED is always good too..

#25 ·
I don't think painting them gives the finished look of the covers. My last two cars came standard with Brembos, so these little unfinished calipers are kind of bugging me. The covers are a kind of corny, but if they're made well they will look better and make my car a little different than the rest of the Foci out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.